Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Dazzler: X-Song #1 Preview - Inhuman solidarity

Piece of trash Inhumans. This is going to be fun.

*Mutants, an allegory for oppressed minorities, are being """Inhumanphobic""" to Inhumans, an allegory for elitism, privilege, colonialism, and xenophobia*

this comic is, uh, going to be something,,,(also hi, Match)

BANNED

Look at this sellout. Hope she enjoys her blood money.

So far this issue seems to be more about this Inhuman OC than Dazzler herself

...so did the writer actually read the whole IvX thing? Because having your new Nu/Inhuman character get pissy about mutants still being sore over NuHumans getting powers from the same cloud that gassed mutants to death maybe ain't the best foot to start a Dazzler story off on. Just sayin'. And maybe Dazzler can start screaming about mutant/Inhuman solidarity 1) when Nu/Inhumans have faced the same level of death and persecution from the MU humans that mutants have and 2) when they make some serious reparations for all the death and suffering caused by the Terrigen Mists.

I get that these are just the preview pages. This might all look better with more context. But judging on this alone, looks like this story is going to be another giant bungle of the whole mutant metaphor.

BANNED

I heard that Mags Visaggio was bad, but I assumed that was just transphobia from the usual suspects. Now I'm starting to think otherwise...

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    I heard that Mags Visaggio was bad, but I assumed that was just transphobia from the usual suspects. Now I'm starting to think otherwise...
    Kim & Kim was fine. But we've seen before that writers who do well in their own sandbox aren't always a good fit for company-owned IP (for example, Jeff Lemire is a fine writer with a VERY iffy track record with Marvel/DC team books). This just seems especially glaring because it's not like IvX was a little-known storyline from a decade ago. That stuff's recent news.

The dialogue is really corny. Painting the inhumans as poor victims and mutants as hateful bigots after they were gassed to death by the Inhuman fart and Dazzler herself was infected is a big no from me. Hopefully this ends better than it started.

Like how are those (supposedly) mutant bystanders able to even tell that girl is an Inhuman?

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

I love Dazzler, but this is looking like a pass.

God. I wish that oneshot had been iceboxed forever like we thought it would.

Astonishing Member

Lol, inhuman solidarity, this is going to go over like gangbusters here.

Spectacular Member

Yikes. The solicit sounded pretty awful, but the preview reads like a tumblr-ite wrote it. Despite being a huge Dazzler fan I don't know that I'll even bother wish this because I'm sure the cringe intensifies as the pages go on -- the writer's online reputation for rants & loonery certainly doesn't help. Poor Dazzler. She deserves better -- hopefully Astonishing X-Men give the character her just due.

I still wonder what the original plan for the Dazzler #43 "Legacy" special was. They're still using its cover for this one-shot, which is odd since Dazzler on the cover matches her A-Force appearance while the interiors is clearly a "newer" Dazzler. In any case I seriously doubt this was the original intention.