Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMarvell View Post
    Even better! I definitely read it was a mini somewhere, must have been in comments/forum chatter. Thanks!
    I've seen this misunderstanding repeatedly in reviews. The fact that it says 'Sentry World 1 of 5' has repeatedly confused people between it being a mini. It's just the first arc is five parts. xD

The best part about the new series is that it really sits down with Bob and makes him the heart of the Sentry again, a way he hasn't been since the original mini. You feel for Bob. His anxiety, his frustration, his dangerous nostalgia, his recklessness and his regrets. It's all very emotionally loaded, the way any good Sentry story should be, but grounded in the mundane reality of workaday life that a character like him needs.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 08-21-2018 at 08:29 AM.

I find him visually uninteresting. Consequently I've never had a motive to find out anything more about him.

Bendis kind of ruined this character for me He was cool and interesting at first, but now I just think of him as a crazy plot device.
    The J-man

Incredible Member

Yet another Superman knock-off. I really dislike how they introduced the character, with retconning him to be Reed Richard's best friend instead of Ben Grimm etc. Crapped on a lot of continuity and soured me on the guy right from day one. I prefer Hyperion.

Spectacular Member CaptainMarvell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    Yet another Superman knock-off. I really dislike how they introduced the character, with retconning him to be Reed Richard's best friend instead of Ben Grimm etc. Crapped on a lot of continuity and soured me on the guy right from day one. I prefer Hyperion.
    So you're down on him because you think he's a Superman knock-off, which he isn't. Yet prefer Hyperion who is identical to Superman in every way possible (without getting sued). Oookay? The forgotten hero angle is unique. He has limitless power yet he struggles with the same problems regular people do, self confidence and doubt. We can all be our own worst enemy, but in his case he is his own worst enemy and everyone else's biggest enemy too. Aside from wearing a cape, flying and being super strong, how is Sentry a Superman knock off? Their stories are very different. That's like saying you hate Deadpool because Deathstroke exists.

Anyways, the November solicits came out today and I didn't see Sentry on it.

I liked Sentry's story better when it was a one-off Buffy episode about Jonathan Levinson casting an augmentation spell to turn himself into a Mary Sue.
    Last edited by MichaelC; 08-21-2018 at 11:15 AM.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Uh oh. Probably nothing to worry about. Isn't Sentry still on the Avengers?

Dude is lame as hell. I've absolutely despised him for years. But I can't front. Much to even my own surprise, his new book is really well executed.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Uh oh. Probably nothing to worry about. Isn't Sentry still on the Avengers?
    Hardy har har. :P

I'm concerned about the lack of a solicit but sales weren't THAT stellar. As much as I think this run is great and want it to continue, I wouldn't be surprised if it was one arc and done.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Marvel has a good enough relationship with Lemire that they wouldn’t cancel his new title in complete silence

So you're down on him because you think he's a Superman knock-off, which he isn't. Yet prefer Hyperion who is identical to Superman in every way possible (without getting sued). Oookay? The forgotten hero angle is unique. He has limitless power yet he struggles with the same problems regular people do, self confidence and doubt. We can all be our own worst enemy, but in his case he is his own worst enemy and everyone else's biggest enemy too. Aside from wearing a cape, flying and being super strong, how is Sentry a Superman knock off? Their stories are very different. That's like saying you hate Deadpool because Deathstroke exists.
    You forget to add "wearing a big "S" as emblem, being full of Silver age crazy tropes, having a love interest with intials LL". But that is the fun thing. Making him the most close to Superman to make him later different and play with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Marvel has a good enough relationship with Lemire that they wouldn’t cancel his new title in complete silence
    Never understimate the short sight of big corporations. Remember they had a good relationship with Starlin before. But they got Byrne back, so the universe recovered its balance.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

If you were wondering about what happened with Sentry in november...:
    Smells a lot like stealth cancellation.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    If you were wondering about what happened with Sentry in november...:

Smells a lot like stealth cancellation.
    Wow. Ok, that's not good. Maybe instead of giving him an uncapped series, they should have given Sentry a 6 issue limited series -- with possibly a King sized Special thrown in if sales warranted it? It bothers me that publishers don't often give books enough time to grow a following.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Enzeru View Post
    How is that line of thinking working out for Star Wars? Spoiler: It isn't.

People on the far left aren't pushing any sales whatsoever. We see it in Marvel comics with the continuous low sales and cancellations of diversity books.
    Same with Star Wars. 'The Last Jedi' is incredibly controversial among the fandom with the "The Force is Female" approach. 'Solo' has tanked incredibly hard considering it's a Star Wars movie.
    Trust me, Sentry being a straight caucasian male is the last thing that would cause any problems for the success of such a movie.

And you have negated it, but I personally think that people with mental health issues are not only incredibly under-represented in media, but also that when they do appear it often has a very negative feel to it. I've seen movies about schizophrenics, where it always ends up in them hearing voices and killing a bunch of people.
    You imply that we need characters with different skin tones, sexualities, religions and so on, for some people to identify with them... Why can't the same apply to mental illnesses? I think that there are many people with mental issues, who would like to identify themselves with some characters. I personally am far more likely to identify with someone like the Sentry than with someone like Superman.
    Yeah books are still being cancelled. Why? Because comics aren't that popular and print media is dying. I also love that you label everyone that wants representation as the far left. I'm a two tour Iraq veteran that cares about social justice so I'm a literal SJW. It's not an insult coming from some angry white guy who is ALL talk. Oh and Black Panther says hello (you know because we on the "far left" don't equal sales or revenue). I agree with the mental illness part but I seriously doubt you back anything that would do anything for people with actual mental illness like universal healthcare.

I'll be pretty stunned if this book is already being cancelled.

I thought Lemire's Moon Knight run had pretty low sales and was generally very weird, but Marvel allowed it the full 14 issue arc that Lemire wanted? Why would they be harsher with an IP they've taken pains to reintroduce into continuity?

Quote Originally Posted by chaosfist View Post
    I'm a two tour Iraq veteran that cares about social justice so I'm a literal SJW
    This is one of the best things I've ever read on this forum.

I get that because he's so powerful, its difficult to write a good story around him, but DCs been doing it for decades with Superman, so I don't see what the big deal is.
    Treating Sentry even remotely like Superman is why so many people hate the character now. Superman is -at the end of the day- basically just a really, really strong guy and is surrounded by people/enemies with equally insane abilities, so he fits in his universe. Sentry however cannot exist in Marvel continuity without either there being a constant reason to keep him sidelined (and hence he may as well not exist) or he makes every other hero obsolete because he is practically god and has limitless power.

Superman comes up against a bit of kryptonite or another strong alien and you've got a whole 6 issue arc. Sentry goes up against a guy who can control reality and Sentry brushes him aside like it's nothing.

I really like the current maxi/mini (call it an ongoing if you want, but I'll bet money it's aimed to be a similar situation to the recent Vision series), but I truly dread the notion of Sentry being a key component in the regular 616 universe again.
    Last edited by Gridde; 08-24-2018 at 03:48 PM.
    People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.