Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I appreciate your opinion, but I happen to prefer Gladiator and Hyperion as Superman clones, quite honestly. No right or wrong answer here. I'm simply saying that Sentry will never appeal to me simply because the creative energy being funneled into his character could have been used elsewhere for better effect. Again, just my opinion.
    Didn't Hyperion recently have two solos? I guess we'll just have to wade through countless title iterations as Marvel is rather insistent on giving him numerous chances to build a following and a place in their lore.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Didn't Hyperion recently have two solos? I guess we'll just have to wade through countless title iterations as Marvel is rather insistent on giving him numerous chances to build a following and a place in their lore.

Kind of depends on how you want to look at it.

That said, it's tough to make a case that creative energy wasn't put into that character(assuming that is where Judicator was going with that).

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

That would have been a nice retort, except its based on the assumption that I want to see another title for Sentry, Hyperion, or Gladiator, which I don't. They can mothball all of those characters as far as I'm concerned.

That would have been a nice retort, except its based on the assumption that I want to see another title for Sentry, Hyperion, or Gladiator, which I don't. They can mothball all of those characters as far as I'm concerned.
    You /did/ suggest a preference, though, so it's fair. The point stands, all the same, that a lot of characters who aren't the Sentry have received a lot more chances than the guy who's never even had a shot at an ongoing.

You /did/ suggest a preference, though, so it's fair. The point stands, all the same, that a lot of characters who aren't the Sentry have received a lot more chances than the guy who's never even had a shot at an ongoing.
    Interesting, I saw that as two separate condition sets without intersection. In any event, we can certainly no longer say that Sentry has never had a chance at ongoing. It's a done deal. Marvel has its Superman. And if Miracleman ever publishes, it will have a second.

Interesting, I saw that as two separate condition sets without intersection. In any event, we can certainly no longer say that Sentry has never had a chance at ongoing. It's a done deal. Marvel has its Superman. And if Miracleman ever publishes, it will have a second.
    To be fair, I certainly hope we never see Miracle Man interacting with the MU. He's better off doing his own thing.

That line of thinking makes me kinda mad.

1. Sentrys first on-going starts this month. Let's see how it turns out. I've already pre-ordered my three copies.

2. Sentry isn't Marvel Superman. That was absolutely never his role. Not even Blue Marvel is Marvels Superman. Not even Gladiator, whose real name is Kallark (Kal / Clark) is Marvels Superman. Hyperion is Marvels Superman. Sentry is something else entirely. Sentry comics are not going to please your curiousity about Marvels take on Superman. Sentry comics will show you how mentally ill people are held back by themselves. Sentry comics will show you how other people treat you, when you're mentally ill:
    Sentry is a near-omnipotent man with paranoid schizophrenia. And generalized anxiety disorder. He could be the greatest and prettiest person in the universe, if he wasn't so deeply disturbed. These are the words Sentrys creator used to describe him. And I can tell you from experience, that if you struggle with mental illness, you can see a lot of yourself in the Sentry. Imagine you're this smart, funny and cool person and it's a joy for others to be around you... But now imagine, that you struggle with some form axiety, which makes you directly avoid other people. At that point you're not doing yourself any favours. You're making it harder for yourself. For me it's easy to root for such a person, which is also one of the main reasons I enjoy the Sentry as a character. He has his issues. He is being held back by his issues. And I want him to succeed and come out on top. He never chose his mental illnesses on his own. They're simply a part of him and he needs to deal with them as good as he can. Sometimes he overcomes them, sometimes he doesn't. In any case he is a very tragic character.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 06-05-2018 at 06:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Enzeru View Post

1. Sentrys first on-going starts this month. Let's see how it turns out. I've already pre-ordered my three copies.

2. Sentry isn't Marvel Superman. That was absolutely never his role. Not even Blue Marvel is Marvels Superman. Not even Gladiator, whose real name is Kallark (Kal / Clark) is Marvels Superman. Hyperion is Marvels Superman. Sentry is something else entirely. Sentry comics are not going to please your curiousity about Marvels take on Superman. Sentry comics will show you how mentally ill people are held back by themselves. Sentry comics will show you how other people treat you, when you're mentally ill:
    Sentry is a near-omnipotent man with paranoid schizophrenia. And generalized anxiety disorder. He could be the greatest and prettiest person in the universe, if he wasn't so deeply disturbed. These are the words Sentrys creator used to describe him. And I can tell you from experience, that if you struggle with mental illness, you can see a lot of yourself in the Sentry. Imagine you're this smart, funny and cool person and it's a joy for others to be around you... But now imagine, that you struggle with some form axiety, which makes you directly avoid other people. At that point you're not doing yourself any favours. You're making it harder for yourself. For me it's easy to root for such a person, which is also one of the main reasons I enjoy the Sentry as a character. He has his issues. He is being held back by his issues. And I want him to succeed and come out on top. He never chose his mental illnesses on his own. They're simply a part of him and he needs to deal with them as good as he can. Sometimes he overcomes them, sometimes he doesn't. In any case he is a very tragic character.
    There's also the Tiller. Though he was played for a joke. Even as a Revenger.

The perception of Sentry as Marvel's Superman is far more ubiquitous than you care to acknowledge. I get it. Yes, I get also that Hyperion is Marvel's Superman Analog, while Gladiator is the Superboy analog as the Imperial Guard are a homage to the Legion of Superheroes. No history lesson needed.

FWIW, my youngest brother suffers from schizophrenia. I'm not knocking Sentry for that. I'm simply suggesting that had Marvel opted to turn, oh, I don't know, let's say Wyatt Wingfoot or even Patsy Walker into the schizophrenic with the power of a billion suns, I might appreciate those developments more.

The perception of Sentry as Marvel's Superman is far more ubiquitous than you care to acknowledge. I get it. Yes, I get also that Hyperion is Marvel's Superman Analog, while Gladiator is the Superboy analog as the Imperial Guard are a homage to the Legion of Superheroes. No history lesson needed.
    Hyperion, Gladiator, Virtue, Blue Marvel and yes, Sentry too, are Superman doppelgangers by Marvel. Hyperion is, yes rightfully, the most close of the Superman analogs, but in the context of the justice league; Gladiator is Supermananalog, but in the context of the legion of Super-heroes (where the LoS is the Imperial Guard); Virtue is Superman, if he were from an hostile active race and more alien looking; Blue Marvel is Superman if he was black and how he never reach his full potential because racism thwarted him in the 50s; And Sentry also is a Superman analog, a trope repeated and abused in his original miniseries and spoofed in the mini Age of the Sentry. A hero beloved and the best of the best, a flying brick with cape and an "S". He even is married to a woman called Lindy Reynolds née Lindy Lee. Lindy. Lee. LL. That can't be more in the face. The twist in the Sentry was if he was right or if he was crazy and everything he believed was real or not. ( And that is why his origin was so confusing when he was in continuity.)
    And even more, the new writer is going to be Jeff Lemire. A good writer, who is right now writing Fantastic Four for DC (Terrifics) and Starman and the JSA for Dark Horse (Doctor Star & Black Hammer). It's kinda suitable to give him the reigns of one of the many Marvel's Superman.
    Can Lemire do a good job? Yes, I think he can. There are no bad characters, as it is said, and if Lemire play with the angle of what is real or not, it could be interesting. But if they go in the way of how Sentry was used in the dark events ages,it would be dissapointing. However I trust/wish than Lemire will not goin that way.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 06-05-2018 at 06:56 PM.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Astonishing Member

Love Sentry.

Love the whole ongoing balance of duality that plagues him between Void and Sentry.

I am interested in seeing how it goes with his new series as he's so conceptually different depending on the writer.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

I honestly don't see how you can type that with a straight face. In every facet he's Supes, except the mental illness part.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 06-05-2018 at 06:55 PM.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post

I honestly don't see how you can type that with a straight face. In every facet he's Supes, except the mental illness part.
    Okay, let's see...

Their origin stories? Completely different.
    Their backstories? Completely different.
    Their Rogue galleries? Completely different.
    Their power sets? Completely different.
    Their weaknesses? Completrly different.
    Their personalities? Completely different.
    Their morals? Completely different.
    Their love lifes? Completely different.
    Their position in their respective universe? Completely different.
    Their interaction with other characters? Completely different.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 06-05-2018 at 06:54 PM.

Sorry, that is just... I like the character, but you have to understand their origins and context and sorry.
    But the Sentry is a Superman doppelganger/homage/imitation/wannabe/analog/whatever.
    Even Marvel understands that and play along with that trope, laughing at themselves:

Golden age Sentry.jpg
    Yes, this is a history of Sentry meeting the Sentry of the 40s from a parallel universe. Oh, and Wachtdog, the Sentry dog makes an appearance. Totally NOT Superman.

So no, he is not the most original character ever. It is a character you like and a character than can be a vehicule for good and bad stories, but Sentry is good in small doses.
    Last edited by Thor-Ul; 06-05-2018 at 02:26 PM.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

I love the Sentry. My favorite comic book character e... no, actually my favorite fictional character ever.
    At the same time the Marvel universe is my favorite fictional universe. I read a quote once: "The Marvel universe is full of flawed people, who are just trying to do the right thing", or something along the lines. And I think that the Sentry fits perfectly into that universe.

Sentry is a thinking mans favorite superhero and I can't wait for his upcoming on-going this month, which is coming out on the 27th of June, to be exact. Pre-order it and buy it, if you want to read some actually good Marvel comics.
    How is he the thinking man's hero?
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 06-05-2018 at 07:00 PM.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark