Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    I'm not handwaving or trivializing. I just plain don't understand it. If I hate something as much as some people here seem to I stop reading period and, yes, that even extends to books and characters that I've been invested in for years. I don't see a purpose in making myself pissed off every month because some writer I know I dislike his mishandling a character or book I love. To me it make no sense to waste my time and money on such a thing.
    No kidding. Disliking it and still buying it is one thing but the venom expressed toward it here makes it seem like a purely masochistic act to continue to buy and read something that makes people so angry. If you hate it, there are other Batman books. It would be great if there were a place where people who are enjoying the series could discuss it here without having 9/10 posts being about how god-awful it is.

Someone posts to basically say "I felt differently. I really loved it." And is immediately met with the response, "Sorry, man. Bad writing is bad writing."

That's not debate or disagreement. That's hostility to opinions different than one's own and it makes this forum a hostile place to discuss King's run. I discuss everything else I read on these boards but I rarely make the mistake of coming here to discuss my favorite thing I'm reading lately. It's not worth it and every time I come back I remember why I left.

We're all different and all have different opinions and they're all valid, but this is the only place I post on these boards where I'm asked to defend myself for liking a comic book. And I have been, repeatedly. I read comics for fun. Arguing about them isn't fun for me, it's just a drag. So I take my leave again and just hope I remember to stay away. I enjoy this run so much more when I'm not reading such hateful junk about it.

No offense intended. You do you. There are other places I can talk about King's Batman if I want and I can openly enjoy it without being slammed for it. (Not in this thread. In past threads.) I should just stay away.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    I think you missed the part were I said I've no issue with people, like yourself, who are critical of his work. Like I said its flawed even if I enjoy it most of the time. The thing I'm taking issue with is this idea that King is a hack.

As for the rest of your post, frankly I don't see why its any business of yours what I post. Someone posted that they were confused as to how people could still be reading this when its so bad and I replied that I was flummoxed as to why people could continue reading something they clearly hated. There was nothing intentionally inflammatory in the post just honest confusion on my part since I've never felt it worthwhile to keep up with books I felt were poorly handled.
    So you fought ignorance with ignorance. You'll excuse me if I continue to see no merit in that.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CryNotWolf View Post
    So you fought ignorance with ignorance. You'll excuse me if I continue to see no merit in that.
    You're entitled to your opinion on that as well but frankly I don't see any merit in someone continuing to read something they don't enjoy. Just because the majority might feel so inclined doesn't mean everyone has to do so.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    Coming here is like entering The Twilight Zone. It's the only place King's Batman gets roundly trashed. Otherwise it's almost entirely very well reviewed.
    Just saying, redditors on the DC comics sub aren't unanimously in love with King either. Negative reviews have been outnumbering positive ones for a while in the weekly discussion thread. King's Batman is quite divisive among folks on comicbookroundup.com too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ten_to_Three View Post
    Just saying, redditors on the DC comics sub aren't unanimously in love with King either. Negative reviews have been outnumbering positive ones for a while in the weekly discussion thread. King's Batman is quite divisive among folks on comicbookroundup.com too.
    When are redditors not whining about something or the other? The title is still doing great in sales, and that's what really matters.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    The title is still doing great in sales, and that's what really matters.
    For DC, yeah, that's what matters, since what they want is money. For readers who prioritize good stories, regardless if this is good or not, sales only matter if there's a danger of cancellation.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by okiedokiewo View Post
    And he says nothing but "Amen" the entire time?

Hey, I guess Batman can just help out the Joker in Tom King's new series with a little therapy.
    Haha, really? But watch him wanting to papa spank Jason in two issues in.

It's because of **** like this you don't get certain happy father's day cards, brucie.

BANNED

More and more people here are but that's neither representative of reviews or sales, the general metrics of how "good" or "terrible" something is.
    As someone who actually likes King's Batman, I'll say this:

I hate when people use sales as a measurement of quality.

Spider-Gwen is a well marketed character and very popular among fans, but her book is close to if not consistently hovering below the top 100 in comic charts

More and more people here are but that's neither representative of reviews or sales, the general metrics of how "good" or "terrible" something is. Most all reviews of the run have been extremely good and it's selling like crazy. I have a lot of friends but not a lot of comic-loving friends, but the few comic-loving friends I do have are nuts about King's run. Coming here is like entering The Twilight Zone. It's the only place King's Batman gets roundly trashed. Otherwise it's almost entirely very well reviewed. Batman-News' critic is the rare one that's (mostly) not on board with what King's doing. Most everyone else is fawning over it like I am. Except here. It's so weird.
    Reddit has a thread every week with people complaining about King's batman. On Comicvine all the reviews and comments about King's Batman are negatives. Not one person there has anything positive to say about it.

Batman always sells like crazy. I wouldn't recommend King's run to anyone and yet I pay for it every fortnight because it's Batman and I always pull Batman.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Batman always sells like crazy. I wouldn't recommend King's run to anyone and yet I pay for it every fortnight because it's Batman and I always pull Batman.
    I don't care how much I love a character - if I don't like the writing, I stop buying.

I love Batman, and would love to be reading the main title but King's run has been absolutely deplorable and I can't support it.

If someone's reading it and actually loving it, great - more power to them. But hate reading a book because you feel a compulsion to keep buying is just silly. You've got to vote with your dollars and if you're paying for what you feel is junk month in and month out, you can't complain that garbage stays on the shelves.

I can see sticking things out through a so-so arc or an occasional dud issue but King's Batman has been the way it's been for awhile. Certainly long enough for anyone to decide whether or not they like what he's doing or not.

I feel like i just went into a bizarre alternate universe while reading, wich is ironic considering the last arc.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    I don't care how much I love a character - if I don't like the writing, I stop buying.

I love Batman, and would love to be reading the main title but King's run has been absolutely deplorable and I can't support it.

If someone's reading it and actually loving it, great - more power to them. But hate reading a book because you feel a compulsion to keep buying is just silly. You've got to vote with your dollars and if you're paying for what you feel is junk month in and month out, you can't complain that garbage stays on the shelves.

I can see sticking things out through a so-so arc or an occasional dud issue but King's Batman has been the way it's been for awhile. Certainly long enough for anyone to decide whether or not they like what he's doing or not.
    It's a habit I really need to break but can't seem to just yet.

Sells =/= quality. There are good numbers of people who buy Batman out of habit or whatever. Still, I compeletly agree with JasonTodd428. Why bother with something you really dislike?

Anyway, I actually enjoyed the joker here and he even made me laugh. Batman was incompetent fool and nothing he did made sense. Janin is Janin, I still don't like his art and way he draw Batman.

I collect Batman, so I've bought it in the past when I didn't necessarily like it, I don't want a gap in my collection.