Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

one-shots and mini-series are in order. Don't look for ongoings unless you want them to be canceled after the first arcs.

I'd probably take an unused character, move them outside of the United States, and explore the foreign born heroes through that character (at least to start). if people like them enough, then do the spinoff mini. the only team that really interests me are the heroes of Paris that Ben Grimm adventured with.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Marvel had something good and full of potential with Big Hero 6, but it seems like they just gave up on the rights to use the franchise. Now another publisher will release their comic books and the new Disney TV show doesn't even have the Marvel logo anymore.

How about Marvel acknowledge the rest of the USA first before they attempt that? I'm starting to think it would be good for Marvel Comics if they were moved out of New York. A lot of the talent would still live in NYC but wouldn't the editors be forced to move? Maybe that would have a trickle down effect.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    Only if they are written by people from those countries. I don't want to see another Kinsmen
    Irish version of the Great Lakes Avengers. Just imagine what someone like Garth Ennis (Irish writer who loves to hate superheroes) who would do with it hehehe

And maybe it’s just me but they remind me of the Scooby-Doo Mystery Inc. (With Velma genderswapped hehehe)

I'd like to see it, but the problem is those books seldom seem to do particularly well in sales. So it's a question of whether it's worthwhile for Marvel to bother.

They could begin with not ignoring the foreign teams when there is a globlal crisis and there is a couple of pages featuring various super heroes protecting civilians.

In Monster Unleashed, they had the X-Men protecting London, and the Inhumans in Italy. Wasted opportunity to feature the MI13 and the Euroforce.
    Same in Avengers No Surrender. "Disasters all arround the globe, let's show how everybody is dealing with it. And by "everybody", we mean the Champions, the Defenders and the X-Men, because **** the rest of the world! Let's not confuse the readers by suggesting that there are super heroes other than the handful of characters we are pushing right now."

BANNED

Winter Guard is a very interesting concept. I would probably read that if the creative team was good.

Excalibur/MI-13 would interest me for sure, but that's mainly because I'm a Captain Britain fanboy.

Alpha Flight. Maybe I'd pull it, again depending on the creative team.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    I'd like to see it, but the problem is those books seldom seem to do particularly well in sales. So it's a question of whether it's worthwhile for Marvel to bother.
    Ideally, I'd love to see foreign writers in those foreign countries creating Marvel-branded stories and characters set in the Marvel Universe, to sell primarily in that foreign market, but given how trade and tariffs and various international laws and commerce works, it might not be worth the effort for them.

I mean, it feels like hiring some Chinese writers to cherry pick some pre-existing Chinese Marvel characters, and create some new ones, and make stories set in China *to sell in China,* would be a money-maker (Marvel *movies* are sure big over there...), but I have no idea if the costs would end up being prohibitive. (Ditto Korea, the UK, Brazil, maybe Mexico. Other large markets in which Infinity War made between 50 and 90 million) And I'd be sad if there was Marvel content out there that might never be translated into English and made available to me.
    Last edited by Sutekh; 06-02-2018 at 04:46 AM.

Didn't alpha flight outsell X-Men in Canada?

Also Excalibur a british team did pretty well. Yeah it was all X-Men but it still was a british team.

Maybe a "contest of champions" Olympics type book with superteams from around the world? Would love to see more heroes outside of America and yes the 50 states teams need to return. We need teams in non new York parts of America!

The situation with the UK is especially bad. Don't forget Captain Britain was actually CREATED in Britain.

But nowadays Disney has an edict that the owners of what used to be Marvel UK, Panini, can't create original Marvel content any longer. That actually caused our kids Spectacular Spider-Man magazine to rebrand as Ultimate Spider-Man and then just Spider-Man - because it now uses content from the cartoons for it's comic strip content. It's actually quite a long runner (over 330 issues) - was originally based on the 90s cartoon and they'd created an original continuity from there.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by responsarbre View Post
    I'm having bad flashbacks to Grant Morrison's introduction of Dust. I'm not sure which was more offensive: the fact that he got every single thing about Afghanistan incorrect (down to having Soraya speak Arabic), the impulse to have her wear niqab just because he felt like it instead of considering her age or cultural background, or the fact that her power is literally to turn into sand...
    Isn’t dust one of the more popular new X-men? And yet, most writers don’t know what to do with her.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I would like to see a book with Disney's Big Hero Six. I don't know the full story behind the issues with Marvel and Disney regarding it.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I would like to see a book with Disney's Big Hero Six. I don't know the full story behind the issues with Marvel and Disney regarding it.
    That cartoon is my favorite superhero cartoon (although The Incredibles is right there, nipping it's heels), and I'd love to see more done with that version of Big Hero 6.

That said, I also have some fondness for Silver Samurai and Sunfire, and wouldn't mind seeing at least some of the original team get some love... Perhaps Yukio could show up and be their 'Black Widow' type figure (no super-powers, but insanely competent and capable, and nobody knows how far they can trust her, or if she has a secret agenda, or if she's just going to cross some lines that they wouldn't...)? Toss in some other Japanese characters, like Surge, or 'Wiz Kid,' perhaps, and some new (preferably non-mutant) heroes, and it could be a whole deal.

Last I saw 'Wiz Kid,' he was creating a 'spellchecker' for a demon, digitizing magic, putting him on the road to being a Dr. Doom-like figure, blending science and sorcery (and more than capable of making a walking silvery suit of armor for himself, instead of the wheelchair). Change his name to 'the Steel Sorcerer,' or something, and wait a few issues before the big reveal that the face behind the steel mask of this mysterious armored spellcaster / metal manipulator is the grown up Wiz Kid, and it could be a neat 'gotcha.'

SARCASM ON: So there are superheroes outside New York!? And what "50 States Initiative" are we talking about!? :O