Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Ideally, I'd love to see foreign writers in those foreign countries creating Marvel-branded stories and characters set in the Marvel Universe, to sell primarily in that foreign market, but given how trade and tariffs and various international laws and commerce works, it might not be worth the effort for them.

I mean, it feels like hiring some Chinese writers to cherry pick some pre-existing Chinese Marvel characters, and create some new ones, and make stories set in China *to sell in China,* would be a money-maker (Marvel *movies* are sure big over there...), but I have no idea if the costs would end up being prohibitive. (Ditto Korea, the UK, Brazil, maybe Mexico. Other large markets in which Infinity War made between 50 and 90 million) And I'd be sad if there was Marvel content out there that might never be translated into English and made available to me.
    Marvel is doing this exact thing in China, actually, didn't you hear? https://quartzy.qz.com/1274379/here-...e-superheroes/
    I'm not sure if they'll ever be acknowledged in American comics, though... Still, it's cool to see the Marvel UK approach still alive and well in other countries.

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    Isn’t dust one of the more popular new X-men? And yet, most writers don’t know what to do with her.
    To be fair, I think Craig Kyle and Christopher Yost handled her way better than her awful introduction under Morrison. (For some reason, being an "acclaimed writer" like Morrison doesn't magically prevent you writing a whole bunch of racist and inaccurate tropes all the time, who knew?) She's kind of stagnated since then, because all of those New X-Men era kids seem to have just disappeared since Bendis. What's more is, like I said, she was never really popular as a representation of Afghans, Muslims, or Middle Easterners because of how much baggage and inaccuracy Dust was loaded with.
    Last edited by responsarbre; 06-02-2018 at 01:16 PM.

Spider-Woman and Excalibur would be fantastic.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    They could begin with not ignoring the foreign teams when there is a globlal crisis and there is a couple of pages featuring various super heroes protecting civilians.

In Monster Unleashed, they had the X-Men protecting London, and the Inhumans in Italy. Wasted opportunity to feature the MI13 and the Euroforce.
    Same in Avengers No Surrender. "Disasters all arround the globe, let's show how everybody is dealing with it. And by "everybody", we mean the Champions, the Defenders and the X-Men, because **** the rest of the world! Let's not confuse the readers by suggesting that there are super heroes other than the handful of characters we are pushing right now."
    Well the Inhumans are technically not a US team, and one of the Inhuman kingdoms (Ennilux) is in Italy, but ya like secret empire though we do get to see the rest of the other super teams fight in their area and I remember a lot of people wish they gave these teams a chance to shine.

Quote Originally Posted by responsarbre View Post
    To be fair, I think Craig Kyle and Christopher Yost handled her way better than her awful introduction under Morrison. (For some reason, being an "acclaimed writer" like Morrison doesn't magically prevent you writing a whole bunch of racist and inaccurate tropes all the time, who knew?) She's kind of stagnated since then, because all of those New X-Men era kids seem to have just disappeared since Bendis.
    Except for Quentin Quire and X-23 - but then, Laura didn't debut there.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

What about this team.....?
    F4555F64-1C2F-4B29-9795-BC3BAE0C6EFC.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    What about this team.....?
    F4555F64-1C2F-4B29-9795-BC3BAE0C6EFC.jpg
    I definitely feel there should be more international teams out there. As someone who has met people from around the world and likes learning about different world cultures, I certainly like groups like MI:13, Euroforce (that Swordswoman character was neat), the Winter Guard, and Big Hero 6. Considering how big the movie was, I really feel that Marvel should capitalize on the mainstream success of Big Hero 6 in some way. In terms of China, I definitely saw potential in S.P.E.A.R. and The Ascendant. Part of me really wants to see Shang-Chi join that group.

Still, there are hurdles when pushing said international teams. Personally, I think pushing a Chinese superhero team especially is challenging because, like it or not, there are significant cultural differences between mainland China and America. Now, I think DC has been doing a better job at producing Chinese superhero teams and heroes than Marvel. The Great Ten (or is it Great Twenty?) and Super-Man are steps in the right direction. I was particularly impressed with the Great Ten series published about 10 or so years ago, because there were a lot of aspects of Chinese history and culture put in there. As has been stressed previously in this thread, it wouldn't hurt to have a writer do his or her research on the country or culture and for the Great Ten series, the writer did his research. Gene Yuen Yang has been doing the same thing with Super-Man, so there is an aura of authenticity.

Still, there are things which one can't find in a book, which a person from that country would recognize as being a little off. For instance, I remember in The Ascendant that there was a character who's last name sounded Cantonese and who was very, VERY defiant of the government. Those things would be odd to a mainland Chinese reader. Even Gene Yang has stated that even though he's Chinese-American, he's a little far removed from the culture of mainland China and can't capture certain nuances. Conversely, having a person from mainland China write a Marvel Chinese superhero series would probably turn off some non-Mainland Chinese readers. Still, could these characters bridge the gap and end up in The Avengers one day?:

Perhaps. They do look pretty cool. But I guarantee, if a mainland Chinese writer published this series, an American audience might find characteristics, or mannerisms slightly odd.

It's a sucky dilemma, I know. I'm all for teams from other parts of the world. I'm firmly of the belief that citizenship, culture, and or any kind of background shouldn't prohibit anyone from writing another's perspective. But again, there are those little nuances, those tiny details that only someone from a particular culture or country would understand and show.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    I definitely feel there should be more international teams out there. As someone who has met people from around the world and likes learning about different world cultures, I certainly like groups like MI:13, Euroforce (that Swordswoman character was neat), the Winter Guard, and Big Hero 6. Considering how big the movie was, I really feel that Marvel should capitalize on the mainstream success of Big Hero 6 in some way. In terms of China, I definitely saw potential in S.P.E.A.R. and The Ascendant. Part of me really wants to see Shang-Chi join that group.

Still, there are hurdles when pushing said international teams. Personally, I think pushing a Chinese superhero team especially is challenging because, like it or not, there are significant cultural differences between mainland China and America. Now, I think DC has been doing a better job at producing Chinese superhero teams and heroes than Marvel. The Great Ten (or is it Great Twenty?) and Super-Man are steps in the right direction. I was particularly impressed with the Great Ten series published about 10 or so years ago, because there were a lot of aspects of Chinese history and culture put in there. As has been stressed previously in this thread, it wouldn't hurt to have a writer do his or her research on the country or culture and for the Great Ten series, the writer did his research. Gene Yuen Yang has been doing the same thing with Super-Man, so there is an aura of authenticity.

Still, there are things which one can't find in a book, which a person from that country would recognize as being a little off. For instance, I remember in The Ascendant that there was a character who's last name sounded Cantonese and who was very, VERY defiant of the government. Those things would be odd to a mainland Chinese reader. Even Gene Yang has stated that even though he's Chinese-American, he's a little far removed from the culture of mainland China and can't capture certain nuances. Conversely, having a person from mainland China write a Marvel Chinese superhero series would probably turn off some non-Mainland Chinese readers. Still, could these characters bridge the gap and end up in The Avengers one day?:

Perhaps. They do look pretty cool. But I guarantee, if a mainland Chinese writer published this series, an American audience might find characteristics, or mannerisms slightly odd.

It's a sucky dilemma, I know. I'm all for teams from other parts of the world. I'm firmly of the belief that citizenship, culture, and or any kind of background shouldn't prohibit anyone from writing another's perspective. But again, there are those little nuances, those tiny details that only someone from a particular culture or country would understand and show.
    And of course there’s the existential paradox that Disney-Marvel, as a business, wouldn’t want to offend China’s Totalitarian Despot, Xi Jinping (they even banned Winnie The Pooh because critics and detractors noticed an obvious physical resemblance) while at the same they also don’t want to offend too Everybody Else by ignoring/supporting the crimes of said imperial regime ...

there should have been an Africa team and a Western Asia/North Africa based team long ago.

Kwannon on a non-X Japanese team would be cool.

There is no Australia super team in Marvel Universe?

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

If a creator wishes to develop something, sure. Why not? It just reminds me that here in Canada, very few comic fans appear to care about Alpha Flight. At least not any more than X-Force, Excalibur or any comic of similar popularity. The American characters are universal enough that their appeal transcends the border, and if it's a matter of nationalism they'll probably just pick up Captain Canuck or a reprint of the old Canadian Whites from the 1940s.