Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    When Grant Morrison described the changes he made to the post-Flashpoint Superman from the pre-Flashpoint version, he said this:

I'm in a similar boat to SuperCrab above. I definitely found things to like about Rebirth Superman. Among them were the fact that unlike pre-Flashpoint Superman, who was often "that weird emo Superman that was around for a long time", Rebirth Superman still had a bit of kick-ass to him, a bit of a backbone. If as Lvenger seems to imply, he's not like that anymore, I will be very put out, as to me, even though that trait was basically the last thing remaining from the New 52 Superman, it improved so massively over "that weird emo Superman" that its persistence lessens the blow of all other retcons.

Get rid of the pseudo-Golden Age with the t-shirt and jeans from the backstory, get rid of the progressive social consciousness, get rid of the Clark with enough journalistic integrity to feel deeply uncomfortable emphasizing Superman in his news assignments, get rid of the Bronze Agey power levels, get rid of the Silver Age reference Fortress in Space! I'll be very upset, but it's okay! Ultimately it's all still okay, because he doesn't let angst keep him from using his powers anymore, because he still enjoys being Superman again, because he'll still get up again if you knock him down. Rebirth Superman wasn't perfect, but I definitely had a sense that he was better than pre-Flashpoint Superman in about a hundred ways, and it all came down to that. Even if the "Reborn" merge screwed over the post-Flashpoint Superman in every other way, that one trait is all it takes to make me basically okay with it.

But based on what I saw in DC Nation # 0, Clark certainly didn't seem "feisty". He seemed downright milquetoast, plus he was drawn to look about sixty years old. But hey, I thought, we've all got bad days. Maybe he's just having a bad day, Rao knows there were issues or arcs here and there in the New 52 where a writer messed up and had Clark moping or brooding, but those didn't define the character overall. Clark's comportment probably makes sense in the light of the plot, and it only seems intrinsic to his portrayal because I don't know the plot yet. And we know Bendis is using different artists, I know Clark won't always look like "your grandpa's Superman", using the phrase despite the fact that my actual grandpa's Superman was the young, progressive and action-packed Golden Age Man of Tomorrow. And I've got to hope that Bendis will keep the last seven years of "Superman-has-a-backbone" characterization. I keep telling myself that he won't go back to that thing that bothers me so much.

But I ultimately fear that in reality, Superman will just go back to being the milquetoast he could be at his worst pre-Flashpoint.

NOTE: I actually like Batman v. Superman, I just think that it does a better job executing hated tropes than it has a right to, and obviously most people disagree about the execution. Also, pre-Flashpoint Superman wasn't always awful, he just could be. Grounded's a good example.
    Has anyone ever told any stories about Clark in college? Because I’m hoping that we can get a Golden Age powerlevels, T-shirt and jeans social crusader phase in his college years one day. I feel like that’s a good compromise.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

There have been a number of college Clark stories over the years but with a new continuity there's no reason they can't include that stuff. If Morrison ever made a mention of Clark being in college that'd almost bridge the gap for them, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    There have been a number of college Clark stories over the years but with a new continuity there's no reason they can't include that stuff. If Morrison ever made a mention of Clark being in college that'd almost bridge the gap for them, I think.
    Yeah, I mean I assume Clark went to college, mostly because it's totally unfeasible that he got a full-on job as a reporter without a college degree right out of high school?

Plus my habit of interpolating pre-Crisis Superman stories into post-Flashpoint Superman's history worked well with me on that. I just slotted Lori Lemaris right in there.

I don't think that he needs to be college age to be the pseudo Golden Age Superman though. I mean, he definitely could go to college while doing that stuff, that's straight up Silver Age compatible, but it's not Golden Age compatible and I don't think it's Morrison compatible either. But I'm still okay with it if they decided to do it.

Whatever, I digress. I mostly want it revealed that Superman started his career like, exactly the way Morrison and Pak wrote it, and then later on he got the trunks and started dating Lois and all.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    Yeah, I mean I assume Clark went to college, mostly because it's totally unfeasible that he got a full-on job as a reporter without a college degree right out of high school?
    Oh, I haven't gone for any sort of similar job before, so I wouldn't know. I just was thinking about how he was college aged (22) and had the late teen look that Rags gave Clark, so I could be forgetting about a scene where Morrison mentioned it. Bendis mentioned liking the Pak run on Twitter so maybe we'll see some of those ideas, but he's got a ways to go before I want to see him start getting into origin stuff imo.

Which I forgot to mention earlier in response to the OP: we have no idea what we're really getting with this series yet but there are no hints to the story that this is anything like the reboots we've seen from stories like the original Man of Steel.