Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default How many innocent people mass murdered in the Marvel Universe in last 20 years?

A question arising from a recent thread about the murder spree of Malekith the Accursed. This is not a uniquely Marvel phenomenon, but I did start wondering.

These below are the ones I can easily recall - please feel free to add but also to correct my faulty math

Civil War #1 - 200 school kids blown up

The Siege - Norman Osborne blows up a sports stadium with about 20,000 people in it.

Avengers - Perth gets hit by an alien plague meteor - population of about 2 million

Avengers - Kang blasts Washington with Damocles base and vaporizes population - up to 5.9 million people.

Others?
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

mass murder as a dramatic trope is very sketchy. in comics, there are rarely substantive consequences for such actions. The original Jean Grey death was one of the rare instances. Now it's just, "Okay, the Joker gassed 500 people to death, time to beat him up a little but that's it" (yes, wrong universe-- but you know what I'm getting at...)

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    mass murder as a dramatic trope is very sketchy. in comics, there are rarely substantive consequences for such actions. The original Jean Grey death was one of the rare instances.
    Yes, Dark Phoenix obliterated a whole planet of beings.

However, it falls outside the 20 years timescale.

It is interesting that with the Norman Osborne bombing, there were probably more kids killed in that Stadium attack than there were in the Civil War incident.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Marvel Universe has people to spare.

Secret Empire: Hydra Cap blew up Las Vegas.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Secret Empire: Hydra Cap blew up Las Vegas.
    Did they all die? I thought they got them back in a story with Mephisto in it.

If not, that's another 600,000.

Was there a tally for people who died in New York while it was in the black dome?

No official tallies but Namor flooding Wakanda, and then the UN handing Wakanda over to Thanos resulted in a global Wakandan population of less than 2000.

Also, Wakanda wiped out Atlantis, but again no tallies, and then Atlantis got wiped out again by the Squadron Supreme.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    No official tallies but Namor flooding Wakanda, and then the UN handing Wakanda over to Thanos resulted in a global Wakandan population of less than 2000.

Also, Wakanda wiped out Atlantis, but again no tallies, and then Atlantis got wiped out again by the Squadron Supreme.
    Best estimates for the population of Wakanda seem to be around 6 million.

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-population-of-Wakanda

Lets be conservative and say Namor only killed 10% of them. That would be another 600,000

But yeah, Thanos. That would be pretty much all 6 million.

What are we up to so far? Close to 15 million?

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Yes, Dark Phoenix obliterated a whole planet of beings.

However, it falls outside the 20 years timescale.

It is interesting that with the Norman Osborne bombing, there were probably more kids killed in that Stadium attack than there were in the Civil War incident.
    They ended up blaming it on Volstagg who just happened to be in Chicago but it was really the U-Foes that did it under Osborn's command. Funny thing is Bendis had the Bears playing in Soldier Field in the spring IRRC.

How many people did crazy Magneto or Xorneto send to the gas ovens he set up in NYC...hundreds?? Can't recall if a number was mentioned.

Probably billions of billions were killed during the final Incursions and only Battleworld was left of the multiverse.

I know it is (just) outside the 20 year mark but Onslaught was confirmed to have killed 33 civilians

Mutants count?

Genosha had a population of sixteen million mutants deaths.

It also had decimation that nearly decimated the population of mutants on the planet leaving just 200 mutants for years.

The crisis with the inhuman mist also killed many mutants but the numbers are unknown.

Extraordinary Member

I don't think we count the incursion event because those delays were reversed.

On Earth, the body count now appears to be up around 32 million globally and over 6 million in the USA.

Didn't the Red Skull release his dust of death in at Mount Rushmore about 20 years ago?

Edit: Red Zone. 2003. According to online sources the Skull's poison gas killed thousands.
    Last edited by brettc1; 06-01-2018 at 02:30 PM.

Don't forget namor also flooded new york in the 40s!

Didn't kang blow up a full state in that one story? Also don't forget the mutant massacre. A lot of deaths there also. Inferno had demons taking over new York. Did anyone die in it?

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Don't forget namor also flooded new york in the 40s!

Didn't kang blow up a full state in that one story? Also don't forget the mutant massacre. A lot of deaths there also. Inferno had demons taking over new York. Did anyone die in it?
    Kang blew up Washington DC in Kurt Busiek's Kang Dynasty story.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    A question arising from a recent thread about the murder spree of Malekith the Accursed. This is not a uniquely Marvel phenomenon, but I did start wondering.

These below are the ones I can easily recall - please feel free to add but also to correct my faulty math

Civil War #1 - 200 school kids blown up
    The death toll at Stamford was over 600, most of which were not the kids.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier