Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
    Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by seaturkey View Post
    I agree with this. While the Xmen are certainly an anology, they are imperfect, and intentionally so. The xmen don't represent any one type of discrimination such as racism. It's an anology for ALL types of bigotry and/or persecution, everything from race to religious and in between, on both the personal and social/national scale. Anyone can be harassed or treated with bigotry. I'm white, and have been called every racist name in the book by non-whites you can think of, and been harassed because of my race and/or religious vews. So they represent my struggles just as much as they represent the struggles of minorities or anyone who's ever felt mistreated and/or oppressed. The xmen do NOT refer to simple racism, but to ALL forms of bigotry.

All that said, the Xmen comics are just that comics and are ultimately meant to entertain the audience. If you want to have a real life discussion about your own view of racism and/or bigotry, go to a rally and voice your opinions, but please quit expecting a comic book to be your voice to shout out what you consider (justly or unjustly) to be social issues.
    Damn Skippy!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Sounds like a fun Tuesday night at The Eagle.
    Or Fubar!!!!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    We’re pretending a group of people who have one thing in common and no sovereign land is a nation? Are you sure about that?
    I wouldn't say pretending, as saying it that way is QUITE condescending. Jewish people are a nation, as are Native Americans who have no sovereign land. You may doubt the political legitimacy of these nations but I'm sure they don't GAF what you think.

A nation is a stable community of people, formed on the basis of a common language, territory, economic life, ethnicity or psychological make-up manifested in a common culture.

Please read (try Google) before you spout nonsense.

Edited for fun: There is also a Gay & Lesbian Kingdom that does have sovereign land and welcomes all LGBT+ people, so that's exciting.
    Last edited by kevinism; 06-04-2018 at 10:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinism View Post
    I wouldn't say pretending, as saying it that way is QUITE condescending. Jewish people are a nation, as are Native Americans who have no sovereign land. You may doubt the political legitimacy of these nations but I'm sure they don't GAF what you think.

A nation is a stable community of people, formed on the basis of a common language, territory, economic life, ethnicity or psychological make-up manifested in a common culture.

Please read (try Google) before you spout nonsense.

Edited for fun: There is also a Gay & Lesbian Kingdom that does have sovereign land and welcomes all LGBT+ people, so that's exciting.
    I Googled it. Definition includes “inhabiting a territory or country.” And even if your premise is correct, it would be competely moronic for Jean to go to the UN to ask for recognition. Far as I can tell, all except one of the nations recognized by the crappy and pointless at this point UN are real countries wth real land.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

I Googled it. Definition includes “inhabiting a territory or country.” And even if your premise is correct, it would be competely moronic for Jean to go to the UN to ask for recognition. Far as I can tell, all except one of the nations recognized by the crappy and pointless at this point UN are real countries wth real land.
    look up the term "stateless nation" -- there are a good deal many of them throughout the world

"Comics journalism"? Filthy Mutie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by seaturkey View Post
    I agree with this. While the Xmen are certainly an anology, they are imperfect, and intentionally so. The xmen don't represent any one type of discrimination such as racism. It's an anology for ALL types of bigotry and/or persecution, everything from race to religious and in between, on both the personal and social/national scale. Anyone can be harassed or treated with bigotry. I'm white, and have been called every racist name in the book by non-whites you can think of, and been harassed because of my race and/or religious vews. So they represent my struggles just as much as they represent the struggles of minorities or anyone who's ever felt mistreated and/or oppressed. The xmen do NOT refer to simple racism, but to ALL forms of bigotry.

All that said, the Xmen comics are just that comics and are ultimately meant to entertain the audience. If you want to have a real life discussion about your own view of racism and/or bigotry, go to a rally and voice your opinions, but please quit expecting a comic book to be your voice to shout out what you consider (justly or unjustly) to be social issues.
    I can think of, like, maybe two of these, and I'm not sure they're particularly vicious or harrowing.

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    look up the term "stateless nation" -- there are a good deal many of them throughout the world
    Mutants aren’t an ethnicity. They weren’t displaced and they all have their own nationalities. There are American mutants. There are Canadian mutants. Saying that they should have a different nationality because of their genetics, that vary widely from one another, makes no sense.

Mutants aren’t an ethnicity.
    ethnicity is not the only requirement for stateless nations. if you have common origin, history, language, culture, customs, or a religion, then you qualify eligible as a stateless nation.

by my accounts, mutants at least have shared history, culture, and/or customs. you can certainly argue the origin as well if the records can be traced

bottom line is this. jean grey would be well-within her rights to petition the United Nations as a stateless nation, and she'd have quite the case to make despite the opposition who would deny her and mutants their rights

They don’t have shared history, culture, and customs though.

Shared mutant culture: Everyone's always trying to kill their asses with robots, enslave them, and/or force them to kill other mutant asses.

They don’t have shared history, culture, and customs though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Mutie View Post
    Shared mutant culture: Everyone's always trying to kill their asses with robots, enslave them, and/or force them to kill other mutant asses.
    indeed filthy mutie.

@kurtW95: thankfully, sensitive topics like that are not left up to you and me to decide

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Mutie View Post
    Don’t know if you’re joking or not. But if you’re serious, being victimized isn’t a culture.

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

Off the top of my head several examples of mutant culture.
    The Morlocks developed their own society based on the difficulties that some mutants encounter while trying to deal with living in close capacity to others that do not have the same complications in life.

The Neo had a social structure of their own in seclusion for a millennia.

Mutanttown aka District X was formed because of the rise of the mutant population and discrimination against them.

Do i have to mention Genosha?

Those instances are hardly universal though. If you want to claim that there’s a mutant culture, it should be more common than existing in a few select groups.

RIP, Jumbo Carnation.

Those instances are hardly universal though. If you want to claim that there’s a mutant culture, it should be more common than existing in a few select groups.
    This isn't going super well for you.