Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
    Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tazpocalapse View Post
    Many people don't like "politics" in comics today because their political idealogies sound like 3rd rate Marvel villians. That really screws with their power fantasies.
    Wait... what? Whom do you mean when you say "their"?

I don't think it's politics more than how it's done. The views of the writer has always made its way into the books. But it was masked and woven into the story in such a way, it wasn't distracting from the book's plot, which wasn't the topic of real-life happenings (generally). It's not used to push the story or hidden in the background to make you think later, whether later is an hour, day or year after the fact. Then once it's done, its not even revisted, its just spat out and then onto the next theme. Taylor has bounced from one topic to three in as little issues. Echo chambering put to paper, essentially. If I wanted to approach a new real world topic every issue I'd just watch CNN, FOX, or even TYT. I think ignoring this is a reason why comic readers are less and less enthused to about reading each year or month. That and it's dying out as less people these days are into reading in general, but not making new fans and driving away old fans doesnt help.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

BANNED

Ah buzzwords.

An "echo chamber" is a room in which people who agree hear only the opinions matching theirs, hence echoing.

Taylor is merely mentioning these events in the story. Those who feel convicted by the stories should do the work of considering why they feel convicted and sort out whatever dark thoughts and emotions they have towards others, not demand that these real-world events never be mentioned in the comics.

That said, folks who read on 4chan before heading over to /pol aren't going to start paying for their comics even if X-Men is transformed into the generic superhero comic they are demanding.

And huge readership numbers are NEVER coming back. There are plenty of film/tv options from which to get a superhero fix these days. Lobotomizing the X-Men won't solve that.

Tom Taylor is doing a fantastic job so far in these few issues. The book should not be ruined just because some people watch too much faux news.
    Last edited by Disciple of Redd; 06-03-2018 at 01:50 PM.

Ah, it’s a nice write up by i09 and Gizmodo but those don’t really help all that much.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Don’t know why you’d be okay with them writing the character in your avatar the way they did. Jean Grey is also one of my favorite characters and I was rather annoyed that they did. Jean is a character who is compassionate to others and stays out of peoples’ minds. She certainly wouldn’t go off on some idiot who throws a hotdog with that kind of intense anger. And Kurt wouldn’t talk like an annoying hipster millenial. Now, I’m just talking about that one issue, but the whole series thus far has her acting out of character. I mean, a mutant nation? That’s one of the dumbest concepts I’ve ever heard. It’s like Utopia (which Jean would have been against), but with no place. Imagine if a group of people did that in real life.
    Do u actually think Jean wants sovereign land?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    Do u actually think Jean wants sovereign land?
    No. That’s one of the reasons it’s so stupid. It’s Cyclops’ Magnetoesque Utopia without a place. Just “if you’re a mutant, you are now a citizen of the mutant nation.” It’s just idiotic. They are self-segregating in the face of everybody else. Basically saying that every mutant in America is more foreign than people who didn’t like them already thought they were while sitting in the middle of Central Park.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by donpricetag View Post
    Wait... what? Whom do you mean when you say "their"?

I don't think it's politics more than how it's done. The views of the writer has always made its way into the books. But it was masked and woven into the story in such a way, it wasn't distracting from the book's plot, which wasn't the topic of real-life happenings (generally). It's not used to push the story or hidden in the background to make you think later, whether later is an hour, day or year after the fact. Then once it's done, its not even revisted, its just spat out and then onto the next theme. Taylor has bounced from one topic to three in as little issues. Echo chambering put to paper, essentially. If I wanted to approach a new real world topic every issue I'd just watch CNN, FOX, or even TYT. I think ignoring this is a reason why comic readers are less and less enthused to about reading each year or month. That and it's dying out as less people these days are into reading in general, but not making new fans and driving away old fans doesnt help.
    When i say "their" i mean people that see a political agenda in books that feature issues that happen in the real world to the point that they view the story thru a lens of it bashing certain groups that echo similar sentiments. This may lead them to believe that writers are demonizing them and casting them as villains. This causes the predictable backlash from groups that then claim Marvel is attacking fans.

I think that in the cases of some characters or life issues are automatically deemed "SJW POLITICS" when sometimes the are just factors of character developement, such as personal beliefs in morals, ethics, relationships, and personal expieriences. This cause some stories to be deemedv to political when they are factors in the story and not the primary subject.

Emma Been Frost Perfection/Emma 2's Avatar

Many people don't like "politics" in comics today because their political idealogies sound like 3rd rate Marvel villians. That really screws with their power fantasies.
    True tea

10 chars
    Yara Flor & Emma "Mama" Frost stan account

Quote Originally Posted by Disciple of Redd View Post
    Ah buzzwords.

An "echo chamber" is a room in which people who agree hear only the opinions matching theirs, hence echoing.

Taylor is merely mentioning these events in the story. Those who feel convicted by the stories should do the work of considering why they feel convicted and sort out whatever dark thoughts and emotions they have towards others, not demand that these real-world events never be mentioned in the comics.

That said, folks who read on 4chan before heading over to /pol aren't going to start paying for their comics even if X-Men is transformed into the generic superhero comic they are demanding.

And huge readership numbers are NEVER coming back. There are plenty of film/tv options from which to get a superhero fix these days. Lobotomizing the X-Men won't solve that.

Tom Taylor is doing a fantastic job so far in these few issues. The book should not be ruined just because some people watch too much faux news.
    ...what are you talking about? "Dark thoughts", "4chan", "faux news"? I think your making round about assumptions... Or maybe I am? I'm not sure. I'm having issues deciphering your verbal judo.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

When i say "their" i mean people that see a political agenda in books that feature issues that happen in the real world to the point that they view the story thru a lens of it bashing certain groups that echo similar sentiments. This may lead them to believe that writers are demonizing them and casting them as villains. This causes the predictable backlash from groups that then claim Marvel is attacking fans.

I think that in the cases of some characters or life issues are automatically deemed "SJW POLITICS" when sometimes the are just factors of character developement, such as personal beliefs in morals, ethics, relationships, and personal expieriences. This cause some stories to be deemedv to political when they are factors in the story and not the primary subject.
    Ok... I'm assuming your directing your comments at me like the last one. I find it amazing that when people have a different view on matters like this, especially as of late, they immediately group you into a group or assume your "agenda". If you have a chance, take a look at my Twitter, it's there under my name, or not, doesn't really matter, but the profile pic is me. I'm a person of color, Democrat that voted as such my entire adult life, and the first gen American child of an immigrant. If any of you think it's necessary to preach down to me on social issues, feel free. Lived them my whole life, many I'm sure most here will never know or really understand. I just find it interesting that people are quick to take up arms make sideways statements, despite not having been called out... On anything. I talked about a comic book, I'm reading. I'll just keep my opinions about the product I'm actively consuming to myself, so as to not ruffle feathers of those not in the least way associated with it.
    Guild Member

Exactly.

At least put your politics and agendas low-key around a really good story, not try to wrap a story around your political agenda. And despite the vocals around the internet the material is kinda suffering the past few years. I feel like people on the whole are just tired of hearing about it everywhere (when it's so painfully obvious).

EDIT: And be careful, saying you're not racist because you are of color or are good friends with a so-called minority or consider a gay couple almost family on the internet will get you piled even harder if they've already developed an opinion of you based on their misunderstanding of a message or post. It's a backwards world we live in sometimes and people love to judge based on some text these days.
    Last edited by uebersoldat; 06-03-2018 at 07:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by uebersoldat View Post
    Exactly.

At least put your politics and agendas low-key around a really good story, not try to wrap a story around your political agenda. And despite the vocals around the internet the material is kinda suffering the past few years. I feel like people on the whole are just tired of hearing about it everywhere (when it's so painfully obvious).

EDIT: And be careful, saying you're not racist because you are of color or are good friends with a so-called minority or consider a gay couple almost family on the internet will get you piled even harder if they've already developed an opinion of you based on their misunderstanding of a message or post. It's a backwards world we live in sometimes and people love to judge based on some text these days.
    Didn't know we were talking racism... I brought my identity to further disolve any notions of me being some sort of anti-progressive-whatever simply because I don't share their taste in comic book criteria and subject matter. Felt it necessary when acronyms like "sjw" and sites like 4chan start getting brought up to belittle my talking points. That's not me. Honestly, I've never even been on 4chan. Followed a Reddit link one time and got a headache lol. I like conversations, not having assumptions made. That assuming I read the posts correctly. If I wasn't quoted, I wouldn't have known they were even talking to me.
    Last edited by donpricetag; 06-03-2018 at 08:26 PM.
    Guild Member

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    I mean, a mutant nation? That’s one of the dumbest concepts I’ve ever heard. It’s like Utopia (which Jean would have been against), but with no place. Imagine if a group of people did that in real life.
    You don't have to imagine, we're doing in real life right now!!

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

Ok... I'm assuming your directing your comments at me like the last one. I find it amazing that when people have a different view on matters like this, especially as of late, they immediately group you into a group or assume your "agenda". If you have a chance, take a look at my Twitter, it's there under my name, or not, doesn't really matter, but the profile pic is me. I'm a person of color, Democrat that voted as such my entire adult life, and the first gen American child of an immigrant. If any of you think it's necessary to preach down to me on social issues, feel free. Lived them my whole life, many I'm sure most here will never know or really understand. I just find it interesting that people are quick to take up arms make sideways statements, despite not having been called out... On anything. I talked about a comic book, I'm reading. I'll just keep my opinions about the product I'm actively consuming to myself, so as to not ruffle feathers of those not in the least way associated with it.
    My initial comment was not directed towards you specifically, you asked me a question so my response was to your question. I'm not "preaching down" to you at all,merely stating my opinion on matters that i have seen.What i really find amazing is that people that don't want politics in comics accuse Marvel, it's employees, and customers of having a agenda, but nobody bats a eye to thatIt happens on twitter daily.However when people speak up against misconceptions and decide to group those same people all in one basket just like others are doing it suddenly becomes such a bad thing. As Bug Bunny used to say ain't no fun when the rabbit has the gun. I hope you don't keep your opinions to yourself i like to hear various viewpoints.

Quote Originally Posted by Slicknickshady View Post
    Ah, it’s a nice write up by i09 and Gizmodo but those don’t really help all that much.
    sure it helps. they have an audience reach that goes beyond comics. any exposure outside of our own little realm of fandom is a plus

Quote Originally Posted by kevinism View Post
    You don't have to imagine, we're doing in real life right now!!
    We’re pretending a group of people who have one thing in common and no sovereign land is a nation? Are you sure about that?
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!