Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    Well then you're not looking in the correct places. Twitter is mainly a medium to pretend to be friends with people you wish you were friends with in real life. The majority of the time it is used to spread frivolous items.

This idea that it is used to spread "fake news" anymore then the mainstream media looking at you Iraq has weapons of mass destruction is laughable. Additionally, if you are unable to find legitimate reporting free of corporate bias then you're looking in the wrong place. Twitter is actually an excellent source for real independent jorunalism. Particularly to find journalists who were fired from the mainstream for reporting things the mainstream media did not like. Or on certain areas in the world where the corporate media is selective in reporting due to their own interests. Again with dapl, Flint Michigan, democracy spring in Washington during the 2016 election,

What you watch on your television is as selective and "fake" if not more controlled then that on Twitter. They're stenographers. And the latest example being the coverage the Roseanne Barr story got compared to the hurricane deaths in Puerto Rico.
    Can you give me three examples of news stories you see reported on twitter that aren’t reported on by mainstream media? I’m curious because I do recognize they aren’t anywhere near unbiased.

Quote Originally Posted by WeaponX View Post
    Can you give me three examples of news stories you see reported on twitter that aren’t reported on by mainstream media? I’m curious because I do recognize they aren’t anywhere near unbiased.
    Razan Al Najars death in gaza. Flint Michigans water which still has contaminated water however, the mainstream media has said that that it's resolved. Which isn't the case at all. And relatively recently the lawsuit against the DNC which received zero coverage. And the judge did not throw out the lawsuit but said to go through a different court. Also ballot purging in Florida during the Canova vs dws primary. And then Berta caceres death 2 years ago in Honduras. Also recently protests by the first people in Canada against Justin Trudeau for his oil pipeline deal.

How many people saw this picture in 2016

That was a peaceful protest outside Washington to get money out of politics. That is front page material. However did not get a mention in the news

Dapl was broken by Amy Goodman and when questioned by Susan Sarandon Chris Hayes admitted giving it no coverage on his show
    Last edited by ExodusCloak; 06-03-2018 at 07:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    ExodusCloak is a conspiracy theorist.
    I figured but that doesn’t mean he’s completely wrong about the news. I also value having varied news sources and making my own decisions on what’s true, newsworthy, and flat out false. I do appreciate the heads up though thanks.

That was a peaceful protest outside Washington to get money out of politics. That is front page material. However did not get a mention in the news
    i'm with you on many things but have you considered that we have an overload of newsworthy material? too much is happening all at once

Razan Al Najars death in gaza. Flint Michigans water which still has contaminated water however, the mainstream media has said that that it's resolved. Which isn't the case at all. And relatively recently the lawsuit against the DNC which received zero coverage. And the judge did not throw out the lawsuit but said to go through a different court. Also ballot purging in Florida during the Canova vs dws primary. And then Berta caceres death 2 years ago in Honduras. Also recently protests by the first people in Canada against Justin Trudeau for his oil pipeline deal.

How many people saw this picture in 2016

Alright hit me with some of those news sources. I value not having my news come from a bubble. Only news view I don’t tolerate is alt right garbage. I’m from the America who’s grandfathers shipped half way round the world without a second thought to fight that garbage. Lying about their age and applying to multiple branches of the military to do what was right.

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    i'm with you on many things but have you considered that we have an overload of newsworthy material? too much is happening all at once
    I think the issue is the selectivity. The media was united when Trump bombed Syria. Even those journalists that hated him said he's now presidential, how beautiful those missiles look. However, now with this North Korea peace deal everyone is united against it. Despite it being the will of both north Korea and south Korea. The media bring on pundits who try and frame a story an certain way. Anytime there's a war it's the same framing and very little air time for any anti war voices. Which makes sense because all 6 organizations have military investors.

Quote Originally Posted by WeaponX View Post
    Alright hit me with some of those news sources. I value not having my news come from a bubble. Only news view I don’t tolerate is alt right garbage. I’m from the America who’s grandfathers shipped half way round the world without a second thought to fight that garbage. Lying about their age and applying to multiple branches of the military to do what was right.
    Democracy Now reported on Democracy Spring and Roberta Caceres. But they weren't mainstream. They have started to become it though just not on the level of the Big 6.

TYT reported on Democracy Spring you can see their microphone there but they recently received a 20 million dollar investment so who knows how objective their reporting will be in the future. They do report on Michigans water

I actually think politico or the hill actually reported on DWS vs Canova verdict but it wasn't covered on TV

And Trudeaus protests against him were reported in Canadian news in Canada not in the USA and again Democracy now

I don't know how much coverage that 6 year old girl in India who was gang raped got in the USA but I didn't see much. It was reported here in Europe a lot

Razan Al najar made it into the mainstream news but not on tv
    Last edited by ExodusCloak; 06-03-2018 at 07:58 AM.

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

oh? i didn't know that people felt this way. thought everyone really liked x-men: red ..
    Nah... I'm not really feeling it. Not impressed with the writing or the current art-style. I'm glad we got a new artist. I've heard that Taylor has written great stuff in the past, but I find it his style to be distracting and uninspired thus far. The way he's tackling social issues is quite heavy and just sucks me out of the experience. So far he's blantly touched on the gender pay-gab in India, Facebook voting interference/ data mining, and whatever he's getting at with "we need a nation"-thing. That hotdog-thing with Nightcrawler made me cringe... I'm a black, son of an immigrant, democrat that voted for Hilary before anyone calls me something. Also, he doesn't seem to have a firm grasp of contractions all the time. And I have reservations about this roster, which has improved with Storm and Gambit, but still way too large imo to see any character development outside of Jean. Just barely holding on, but I am giving it a chance, at least. It is the most interesting of the X-Men catalogue at the moment.

I think as X-Men fans, we're so starved for good content that even a glimpse of something better gets us all excited.
    Last edited by donpricetag; 06-03-2018 at 08:01 AM.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

I think the issue is the selectivity. The media was united when Trump bombed Syria. Even those journalists that hated him said he's now presidential, how beautiful those missiles look. However, now with this North Korea peace deal everyone is united against it. Despite it being the will of both north Korea and south Korea. The media bring on pundits who try and frame a story an certain way. Anytime there's a war it's the same framing and very little air time for any anti war voices. Which makes sense because all 6 organizations have military investors.
    well my impression of nk/sk is that people are just very against trump having anything to do with it. hes a glory hog and seem to make things worse.

on the flip side i have seen support for nk/sk working peace independently. what do they even need him for?

well my impression of nk/sk is that people are just very against trump having anything to do with it. hes a glory hog and seem to make things worse.

on the flip side i have seen support for nk/sk working peace independently. what do they even need him for?
    They need the US to lift sanctions. Which is why the USA has to be involved.

Quote Originally Posted by donpricetag View Post
    I think as X-Men fans, we're so starved for good content that even a glimpse of something better gets us all excited.
    Sadly i think than that is true for most of modern superhero comics.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    While it's tempting to blame technology and media for the current state of the real world, ultimately it comes down to regular folks and their own insecurities(which are in no way a purely modern phenomena). While Red is markedly better than Gold/Blue and most modern X-comics in general(in large part due to the slick art), using Cassandra Nova and her Sentinites as the big bad, and the source of mutant hatred in the world, is a cop out. I'm sure Taylor thinks he's being very clever, but it just isn't that easy, or clean cut. I look forward to a day when a person of color(andfemale and/or LGBTQ would be even better, for intersectionality) writer gets to write the main X-Book and really delve into the themes [the franchise has been built on *coughappropriatedcough] from an actual place of marginalization.
    Actually, what I got from the first Issue was that Taylor did somewhat put blame on people's insecurities. Once Jean wins over the British ambassador, Nova, seemingly losing some power over her, deemed the her useless. Similarly with Storm, Nova had to capitalize on her fear of danger befalling over Wakanda. That makes it seem like she can cheaply manipulate anybody into a villain, but i find it a clever allegory: We all can make messed up stuff without realizing it when triggered (or in general).

I wholeheartedly agree with you. There should be X-Men writers who have a personal hold on marginalization as well as hailing from different cultural backgrounds. It would add authenticity and diversity to the stories.

Quote Originally Posted by uebersoldat View Post
    As someone who wants to read comics to escape the politics in this world and enjoy some entertainment, it's disappointing to read that they are once again trying to shove political views and ideals down my throat in my entertainment. Have we not had enough of that in the news and TV?

Racism is bad, we get it!!! I've never been the slightest bit racist or homophobic but BEATING us over the head with it is NOT going to change the world, it actually feeds intolerance and becomes its own worst enemy.

Anyway, at the end of the day I'm glad X-Men is getting some spotlight regardless of my little soap box. It's about time and I look forward to more X-Men when I walk out the door.
    There's some irony in that second statement. Here, Cassandra Nova works as an analogy for some very real groups of people who have achieved power, money and influence by means of persistently spreading their views with the help of the exploitation of people's anxiety and complacency.

Some of those less nocive views might have stuck to you considering that "shoving political views down our throat" sounds like something out of their indoctrination handbook, not to mention, funnily enough, somewhat intolerant. I might be wrong and it might be a coincidence though.

In any case, exchanging, exploring and developing views through discourse, art and media might be a powerful (at variable scope) tool of social change, because, as this article quotes, "a feedback loop is created".

I can't blame you for wanting some mindless entertainment (we all want that sometimes), but X-Men comics have always had political content in them (as plenty of other Marvel titles have) so there's a certain expectation about it from plenty of fans.
    Last edited by Robohut; 06-03-2018 at 08:23 AM.

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Sadly i think than that is true for most of modern superhero comics.
    So is what this thread has devolved into, it seems... being sad, I mean. Which is my point about being sucked out of the experience. There's no shortage of politics-talk or outlets these days. This isn't 1985 where we discussion needs to be "sparked". It's not really necessary to have this injected so conspicuously into a comic book. Perhaps these creators should focus less on standing on a soapbox and concentrate more on putting out good entertainment while the medium still exists.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

They need the US to lift sanctions. Which is why the USA has to be involved.
    there must be another option?

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

Many people don't like "politics" in comics today because their political idealogies sound like 3rd rate Marvel villians. That really screws with their power fantasies.