View Poll Results: What is Superman's biggest Problem these days?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Editors

11 17.19%
  • The Writers

15 23.44%
  • His Fanbase

25 39.06%
  • DC/WB Powers that be

13 20.31%
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default What do you think Superman's biggest problem is?

With the ups and downs the character has faced over the last 10 years I'm looking to see what you think is the biggest problem Superman faces these days and what you think needs to be done to correct it.
    Last edited by Lexrules; 07-21-2014 at 08:15 AM.

Wonder Woman X Superman Diana X Kal's Avatar

Writers like Scott Lobdell should not be allowed to touch a Superman title.
    Wonder Woman <3

If I had to pick one, I'd say comic book readers in general. The fan base have their hangups, but there are also readers who have their preconceived notions of Superman and thus refuse to read. Also, I tend to think that Superman is best suited for young kids and adults who tend to be counter-adolescence (I tend to think adolescence tends to be counter-childhood and sometimes counter-adulthood), but those are not the biggest demographics that strongly support comics.

More generally, most things' popularity comes and goes, and it seems like Superman's best days might've been behind him, though I hope that maybe there'll be a movie and a series of cartoons that get otherwise-indifferent consumers to think Superman is the best once again. However, a bad movie and/or a series of cartoon that tells otherwise-indifferent consumers to think other heroes are cooler than Superman will just tarnish the character for another generation...

EDIT: At least with the editors and WB/DC, I sort of know that their motivation is finding something that sticks and sells, but then that's tied again to readers. Writers come and go, and there really isn't one who's seen as "The Guy."
    Last edited by DochaDocha; 07-21-2014 at 09:29 AM.

I just think that they don't know what to do with him anymore. They have made him all powerful, and powered him down. This partially shows that they have run out of ideas. Personally i think the constant epic adventures have hurt comics in general.

WB/DC are trying too hard to "modernize" Superman and make him "relatable" while taking out all the fun and adventure that made the character so enjoyable.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Chronic MasterDebater The Beast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lexrules View Post
    With the ups and downs the character has faced over the last 10 years I'm looking to see what you think is the biggest problem Superman faces these days and what you think needs to be done to correct it.
    Well thought out thread for a Monday morning, Lex. Good job.

I think the diversity of his fan-base is the biggest problem Superman faces. We all love the concept but there's a massive schism that divides fans when it comes to execution, as MoS has demonstrated. From a creative standpoint it must be extremely difficult to anticipate the desires of the potential Superman audience when the spectrum of possible interpretations of the character are so vast.

I don't think it's possible to make everyone happy and trying too hard seems to dilute the product.

Chronic MasterDebater The Beast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pharozonk View Post
    WB/DC are trying too hard to "modernize" Superman and make him "relatable" while taking out all the fun and adventure that made the character so enjoyable.
    This is exactly what I'm talking about. The fun and adventure you speak of is highly subjective. If Superman isn't relatable to contemporary audiences, he becomes irrelevant.

Re member

All of the above?

The fans are difficult if not impossible to please because they all have a different vision of what their Superman should be. Plus any change, even a simple change like him finally changing his clothes, is given the stink-eye. But in the end the fans don't create the stories, they just consume them.

The writers don't seem to have a consistent character model to work from. His behavior, reactions, attitudes, and outlook sometimes change depending on who's doing the writing. It's hard to enjoy a fictional character when I don't feel I know what's a foundational aspect of the character and what's something that can vary. I should be able to see him behave in a certain way, judge it to be out of character, and think "ah ha, that's a plot point" rather than "oh, different writer, different Kal." When I have to think about whether it's a writer's individual interpretation rather than just being immersed in the story being told I enjoy the story less. When it happens too often I lose the story and start nit-picking. I hate it when that happens, 'cause I turn into the stereotypical whiney fan. I can handle change, but the change needs to happen on a solid foundation.

The editors? I was always under the impression that editors were in charge of maintaining that consistent model across the line, but that may have changed. Either way, sometimes it doesn't seem like anyone's driving the bus. I can read the Lantern books, or the Batman line, and there seems to be a vision for all the books. The Superman family of books seems disorganized and scattered. I don't understand the editorial/writer model being used, but if writers get story assignments write their stories, submit them and have them approved, and then get asked to re-write everything afterwards there's a problem. And that problem isn't the writer.

TPTB? That's such an internal thing that it's only possible to judge by inference. But I can't imagine it's not an issue somehow, given all the creator complaints. Maybe they're interfering, sending change memos all the time, pushing their ideas and Mary-Sueing the books. Maybe they're not doing enough, and the lack of consistency is because there's no leadership. Maybe sweat breaks out on Dan Didio's forehead every time he sees a memo from corporate in his in box, wondering how he's going to break it to Berganza this time.

So yes, I think it's all of the above. All I can really judge is the final product. So it's my fault too. I'm the fan.

Quote Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
    This is exactly what I'm talking about. The fun and adventure you speak of is highly subjective. If Superman isn't relatable to contemporary audiences, he becomes irrelevant.
    I don't think good old fashioned fun adventures can ever go out of style. Movie series like Indiana Jones and Star Wars still resonate with modern audiences because they have epic stakes and tension but never descend into overly child friendly(the Ewoks aside).
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Stagnation... Not been allowed to evolve with the times. Having the same suit with the underwear in the outside for far too long. Been lumped in the same room with Batman and others like him who shouldn't be nowhere near Superman. Been turned into a hick a country boy too dumb to think by himself. Needing to be powered down so someone else doesn't come off as unefective.

BANNED

Superman is Superman. He's not Batman, he is not Iron Man and most definitely is not Bella Swan.
    In the first few issues of N52 Superman i was under the impression that i was seeing that Minnie Mouse looking depressive diva wearing Superman's armor and in JL, Superman was acting pretty Starkish and very Batmanish.
    When DC finally realises that, the character will be back on track.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Francisco View Post
    Stagnation... Not been allowed to evolve with the times. Having the same suit with the underwear in the outside for far too long. Been lumped in the same room with Batman and others like him who shouldn't be nowhere near Superman. Been turned into a hick a country boy too dumb to think by himself. Needing to be powered down so someone else doesn't come off as unefective.
    Most of this is right.

Superman was the product of young passionate men who looked around at their world and saw depression and war. He wasn't created to be a tool of the system or "just a farmboy at heart".

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

The X- men-ization of all things comics.

That Diggle idea of cutting off his arm seemed kinda cool. Would like to have seen how that played out.

I don't really think there's much of an issue comics-wise at the moment. The line is pretty damn solid.
    I would say my biggest worry is with the films. There were a lot of things I pray are rectified in subsequent sequels.
    I fear that a Superman that kills and spends little time saving people will stick in people's minds as what he represents.
    This isn't to **** on MoS. Flaws aside, I enjoyed it, but there is much work to be done to make the character feel like he's being done right.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    Superman is Superman. He's not Batman, he is not Iron Man and most definitely is not Bella Swan.
    In the first few issues of N52 Superman i was under the impression that i was seeing that Minnie Mouse looking depressive diva wearing Superman's armor and in JL, Superman was acting pretty Starkish and very Batmanish.
    When DC finally realises that, the character will be back on track.
    on JL superman is a good statue, well majority of the members are badly written.

Editors have some fault, I think the fault is on everyone, but for me specially on editors, warner, writers. they need to get real on what works for superman and what the characther means for people. He has to be relevant again.