View Poll Results: What is Superman's biggest Problem these days?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Editors

11 17.19%
  • The Writers

15 23.44%
  • His Fanbase

25 39.06%
  • DC/WB Powers that be

13 20.31%
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

i pick his fan base as the 1st problem then the writers second. Everyone has different interpretation of the idea of superman but that fans always complain about not seeing "their" superman.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
    This is a prime example of how the fan base is Superman's biggest problem; Fan A prefers one incarnation and Fan B shows up to dismiss their preference and "prove them wrong" by arguing semantics and asserting their own personal tastes in what Superman is "supposed-ta" be.
    What are you speaking of? I posted the facts.

I didnt say you have to like one version more than the other.
    Last edited by Joe Acro; 07-23-2014 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Insulting

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    What are you speaking of? I posted the facts.

I didnt say you have to like one version more than the other.
    i think he was agreeing with u

Astonishing Member

The fans might not like any given version of Superman, but since we are always being told that we are a small dismissable minority why should we be such a big problem.

Make a Superman with nothing I would recognize and if it can build a large enough fanbase my complaints won't matter.

If Superman is in trouble- the fault is DC's. Either they aren't catering to what people want (fanbase or non-fanbase) or they aren't getting the product where the fans are. The only way to blame the fanbase for the problems is if you consider us obligated to buy the character even if we are unhappy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lexrules View Post
    This is true in many regards as you and I have gone through the same thing with our conversations. The Question is though is how do you fix the problem. I could think of only 2 solutions and one is completely off the table.

1. Have books based in every era of the character. We all get the Superman we want but at the cost of losing continuum with the rest of the DC Universe. This would be cost consuming to DC and on that preference alone it will never be done.

2. You shut the character down for 10 years. Make him dormant to let fans young and old of today disappear. Return with a completely new slate for the Character where you could start from scratch. This will never be done as not only would DC never allow it but comic book fans would burn down the WB offices. lol

So we are back at square one. How do we fix this problem in a way all sides are somewhat happy or is there no way to fix it.
    I love the first idea! What creators would you assign to the different titles/eras?
    Formerly Doctor Malekith.

This is true in many regards as you and I have gone through the same thing with our conversations. The Question is though is how do you fix the problem. I could think of only 2 solutions and one is completely off the table.

1. Have books based in every era of the character. We all get the Superman we want but at the cost of losing continuum with the rest of the DC Universe. This would be cost consuming to DC and on that preference alone it will never be done.

2. You shut the character down for 10 years. Make him dormant to let fans young and old of today disappear. Return with a completely new slate for the Character where you could start from scratch. This will never be done as not only would DC never allow it but comic book fans would burn down the WB offices. lol

So we are back at square one. How do we fix this problem in a way all sides are somewhat happy or is there no way to fix it.

I would go with solution #1. Each version of Superman would be in continuum with his own version of the DC Universe.
    John Martin, citizen & rightful ruler of the omniverse.

Having "versions" of Superman where he takes on aspects of other characters makes no sense. There is infinite potential in the basic character as created by S&S if the writers employed had the requisite depth of imagination. This in my opinion, is the real problem. Trying to "rationalise" Superman is a dead-end road.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Iopy View Post
    Exactly, Golden Age Superman was not a boy scout.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iopy View Post
    Like a boss.

You know, if Superman acted like that, then DC gave us a "government-doesn't-trust-him" type of story line, it would make more sense.

It was a lot easier when the fanbase "rebooted" every few years. Creating comics for fans who have years of reading under their belts is a work in progress. When you had turnover of fans, it meant Daredevil could run into Spidey for the 10th time & their fight wouldn't seem stale. Now you have fans with knowledge of everything! I'm amazed how often Golden age stories get mentioned. I used to consider myself a hardcore Superman fan but I've maybe read 5 golden age stories.

You know what....just do # 2. We'll see if people really love Superman.

BANNED

I got banned and my post got edited for typing "lol, this guy" in my last post.

That was awesome.

It is quite clear from the statements being made at SDCC that writer ego is still a major problem with DC's presentation of Superman, not only in N52 but for years before that. "We see", "We want" constantly repeated in the boundless arrogance in replying to fan questions. If DC had the wit to employ writers who actually liked the character and wrote for it rather than trying to mould it to fit their own preconceived notions and prejudices we would have a superior product than exists today.

I think you could solve a LOT of the problems with Superman if the people in charge took some time to study the Captain America films... particularly the point of THIS review and what was left out of the film...

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...aptain-America

Basically, Superman needs to be an unabashedly and unironically GOOD guy in a setting that takes him at face value rather than the authors trying to insert angst or subtly undermining various aspect of the character (by having his goodness come back to bite him for example).

Quote Originally Posted by Chris24601 View Post
    I think you could solve a LOT of the problems with Superman if the people in charge took some time to study the Captain America films... particularly the point of THIS review and what was left out of the film...

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...aptain-America

Basically, Superman needs to be an unabashedly and unironically GOOD guy in a setting that takes him at face value rather than the authors trying to insert angst or subtly undermining various aspect of the character (by having his goodness come back to bite him for example).
    Nonsense! Superman needs to be a bad ass again. Kicking assess and taking names and looking good while at it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Francisco View Post
    Nonsense! Superman needs to be a bad ass again. Kicking assess and taking names and looking good while at it.
    this, after the turd fest that was grounded and all the other boyscout crap from the last couple years before n52, i don't want to read a passive supes storyline ever again. and i'd say cap is nothing like the submissive farmboy clark was. cap asserts himself