View Poll Results: What is Superman's biggest Problem these days?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Editors

11 17.19%
  • The Writers

15 23.44%
  • His Fanbase

25 39.06%
  • DC/WB Powers that be

13 20.31%
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Superman should stand up for American values and for the rights of the people like in the Golden Age. If he's just gonna lead the US at all time, then Batman is staying #1 for many years to come

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

To me the success of Captain America has been killer comics that update core concepts without having to abandon any idea as too silly.The same is true for the movies. I just re-watched Avengers for the 3rd time. That movie was made by a true fan that knows the history. The basic plot is straight out of Avengers 1 Kirby Lee. Substitute Aliens for Trolls. They adapted Winter Soldier!?!. With Superman, there always has to be a conscious distancing with what came before. The Superman movies, Donner included, seem to run from source material.

In my opinion Superman looks cooler when he's not standing around waving flags and when he's standing up to big bads in behalf of the little guy. Gold age Superman.
    Last edited by Francisco; 07-31-2014 at 08:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Francisco View Post
    In my opinion Superman looks cooler when he's not standing around waving flags and when he's standing up to big bads in behalf of the little guy. Gold age Superman.
    Yeah that's why I loved Grant's Action Comics. It was a Superman who stood up for the little guy and fought social injustice. The way Siegal and Shuster introduced him. I could do without the slightly cocky attitude but I know he acted that way because he was young and didn't yet realize just how important he would be to the world.
    I love Superman fighting alien warlords but they need to take a time out and show him helping struggling individuals. Like in All Star where he takes out the rampaging robot and then comforts the girl about to commit suicide. I love Superman because he's the most compassionate being on the planet. The problem is that compassion isn't "cool".
    Last edited by Robotman; 07-31-2014 at 08:37 PM.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
    America is an imperialist state founded on economic greed and genocide of the native people that never stops enabling the deaths and oppression of thousands of innocent people worldwide, spying on its own people, and letting the rich rip steal billions of dollars and go scotch free. America stands for freedom, peace, equality, and liberty if you're a rich white male.
    The whole thing has to be much different from the outside looking in. Captain America and Superman seem to baffle people. Every country is historically can of worms, but I dunno, I can accept a foreign character in a foreign comic with nationalistic pride. There are things that I just can't understand because I was brought up differently, so I just let the stories live or die on their own merit.

Quote Originally Posted by Francisco View Post
    BUt acting like it didn't happen is worse.

Golden Age Superman was all about flag waving. Which is something that I don't think they should actively tone down or eliminate, just incorporate with reason.

All that said, the problem with Superman?

People complain and complain that others who want a more decent Superman comic (as good for kids as adults) are living in the past and DC largely seems to agree... except every once and a while we see that they're perfectly capable of pulling it off.

Up until recently Superman's iconic status worked against him. Over time it became less a badge of honor, and more of an excuse to keep virtually anything creative from being done with him. Hell even in appearance Mickey Mouse has more subtle alterations throughout the years than Superman was afforded. It became a look but don't touch policy, and when you stop allowing creators to actually write a character, the character suffers. Same thing had happened to Wonder Woman to an even larger degree.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 08-01-2014 at 07:36 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Up until recently Superman's iconic status worked against him. Over time it became less a badge of honor, and more of an excuse to keep virtually anything creative from being done with him. Hell even in appearance Mickey Mouse has more subtle alterations throughout the years than Superman was afforded. It became a look but don't touch policy, and when you stop allowing creators to actually write a character, the character suffers. Same thing had happened to Wonder Woman to an even larger degree.
    The only problem with allowing for any real change is that it changes the core of what the character is. There needs to be some blueprint of the character that NEEDS to always be followed or it simply is not the same character anymore. Yes, writers should have some say but they also need to be talented enough to work with what is already set about the character. Giving free rein to writers to do what they want is NOT a good thing unless it for characters they created themselves.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

What is "virtually anything", creatively speaking? What are the things that can't or haven't been done that speak to the core of the character? Because I agree that actually changing his core shouldn't be the point of using the character,

What about Captain Britain?

Fighting for tea, crumpets, and the queen!
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

BANNED

off topic is off topic