Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default Who is Marvel's flagship female?

Who is Marvel's flagship female? DC has Wonder Woman but I am not sure who the Marvel equivalent is.

With the movie coming I would hazard a guess that Marvel feels that Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers) is the one but I don't think she is there just yet. Maybe the movie will change that?

Quote Originally Posted by TheFallen View Post
    Who is Marvel's flagship female? DC has Wonder Woman but I am not sure who the Marvel equivalent is.

With the movie coming I would hazard a guess that Marvel feels that Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers) is the one but I don't think she is there just yet. Maybe the movie will change that?
    For now I think it's between Black Widow and Captain Marvel.

In a couple years it will clearly just be Captain Marvel with Widow, Wasp, SW, Gamora and 1 or 2 more following her.

MCU decides it all imo.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TheFallen View Post
    616 Storm's debut in Giant-Size X-Men # 1 in 1975 is significant as the very first 616 marvel comics superheroine to truly be the equivalent of DC 's number 1 superheroine Wonder Woman.
    Wonder Woman black hair white skin
    Storm white hair black skin

616 Ms. Marvel's first appearance was in Ms. Marvel # 1 in 1977.
    616 Carol Susan Jane Danvers is the equivalent of DC's original Danvers, the number 2 superheroine Supergirl.
    Superman Supergirl
    Captain Marvel Ms. Marvel

BANNED

Captain Marvel wins. I kind of agree with the MCU being a deciding factor.

BANNED

It has to be Ororo Munroe aka Storm

But since we can no longer include the x-men to be part of Marvel since they're not completely owned by Marvel, then I'd say it's going to be either Kamala Khan, Carol Danvers, Scarlet Witch and Squirrel Girl. Should we include Angela?

Why do i have second thoughts to include Black Widow? Prolly because I kinda don't see her as a superhero
    Last edited by RLAAMJR.; 08-01-2015 at 03:10 AM.

Invincible Member

For a long time I would have said Storm and/or Sue Richards. Someone who doesn't read comics might say Black Widow because of her prominence in the Marvel films. A lot of fans want it to be Carol Danvers, but I don't think it's true quite yet...although that might change if her movie comes out.

Storm, but the MCU influence is probably shifting things towards Black Widow. Marvel also tried to push Carol Danvers for the role but I'm dubious it will ever suceed.

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

I don't think it's so clear cut with Marvel. It's probably a four way tie between Invisible Woman, Storm, Captain Marvel and Black Widow. Sue is the first lady of Marvel and paved way for the others, but is perhaps defined too much by the F4. Storm has a lot of fans and great exposure through other media but that didn't stop her first solo from flopping, perhaps defined too much by the X-Men? Black Widow gets a mention because the MCU pretty much demands it. Carol's had the most success as with solo books and also an Avengers mainstay, has the unwavering backing from Marvel, the Carol Corps, a successful legacy character (Kamala) and is set to join the MCU.

I think once her movie drops, Captain Marvel will pull away from the rest and consolidate herself as the clear #1.

Spectacular Member

I need to admit, I miss Carol as Ms.Marvel and in that costume but I can get behind her being the female flagship.

I like Black Widow but she is more espionage than superhero.

Marvel simply doesn't have one.

It has a ton of important gals (Widow, Carol, Janet, She-Hulk, Wanda, Storm, Sue, ect) and some new ones (Kamala, Spider-Gwen, Silk,) but no one on that clear pedestal like Wonder Woman.

It is likely Carol ends up there thanks to the movie and she is getting pushed in the comics. Her and Widow are the only ones of the old guard that can keep a solo going or at least get multiple tries at it.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Marvel's licensing department needs a reboot, or slap. Storm has the least amount of merchandise compared to her historical prominence in the X-Men cartoons, comics and the movies raising her profile. I see so much stuff (T-shirts, tote bags, mugs, etc.) where the focus is on everybody but Storm, especially 'group shots'. I see combinations of Jean Gray, Elektra, Widow, Invisible Woman, Spider-Woman and She-Hulk put on these items, and no Storm at all. No Monica Rambeau, either. Black women don't exist when it comes to all of the "Ladies Rule!" comics merchandise out there.

BANNED

I would be tickled pink if Marvel started promoting Wanda the way they have Carol Danvers. And there's already so much controversy every time her
    name is even mentioned. I think she would work great in that position, provided the writers have her kicking ass and confident. Everybody seems to have
    an opinion about Wanda, good or bad, but never indifferent like with so many other characters.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Marvel doesn't have one defining flagship female superhero like WW at DC.

Marvel has a number of high profile female Heroines like Black Widow, Wasp, Captain Marvel, Elektra, She-Hulk, Storm, Jean Grey, Rogue, Scarlet Witch and Sue Richards. All ladies and a few more share the spotlight.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Marvel simply doesn't have one.

It has a ton of important gals (Widow, Carol, Janet, She-Hulk, Wanda, Storm, Sue, ect) and some new ones (Kamala, Spider-Gwen, Silk,) but no one on that clear pedestal like Wonder Woman.

It is likely Carol ends up there thanks to the movie and she is getting pushed in the comics. Her and Widow are the only ones of the old guard that can keep a solo going or at least get multiple tries at it.
    I'd add She-Hulk to that list. Although I wouldn't call her a flagship character.

Incredible Member idisestablish's Avatar

Who is Marvel's Wonder Woman equivalent? The answer is Wolverine (yes, Logan). Just like Wonder Woman is third place behind Batman and Superman, Wolverine is third behind Spider-Man and Iron Man.

Wonder Woman is the third most recognizable character from DC's lineup, regardless of her gender. There is no female equivalent in Marvel's lineup. You can reasonably expect virtually everyone you encounter to know, at least vaguely, who Wonder Woman is, whether they're 15 or 80 years old. The same can't be said about Storm, Invisible Woman, Captain Marvel, Black Widow, etc. Wonder Woman for DC is the most recognized, the most popular, most published, most historically significant female hero with years of pop culture and other media behind her. If we're talking most well-known? I'd have to say Black Widow. If we're talking most popular among fans? I don't think there's a clear victor. If we're talking most published in comics and other media? It's probably Storm.

But anyway, Marvel's Wonder Woman equivalent is Wolverine, IMO.