Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

They've kind of written themselves into a corner. The only reason the school exists the way it does now is that once upon a time, Marvel decided to emulate the movie premise and kind of quadrupled the mutant population. After decimation, they could have gone back on this, but then they did AvX and undid the whole story repopulating Earth with mutants, thus re-uping on the student body. Again, they had a chance with T-mist, but that would have been a darker story than I think they were willing to tell. The X-Men can't just walk away from school as is. From a story standpoint, I think if the X-Men went back to being super heroes more than activist-educators, things would be more exciting and dynamic, especially being able to focus more on a couple core groups opposed, to those core groups and 3 dozen silly background characters. So no, unless they are willing to revisit a story like decimation or the T-mist, they shouldn't close the school. Not without the X-Men looking like ghouls.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

True, Prez, true. The school doesn't really feel like a real place, not like it used to. It's just window dressing and there's no connection to it anymore, so they might as well close it. Doubt people are gonna care that much. But honestly, the one thing the mansion needs is a serious update and some drastic changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenebrae View Post
    I'd like a school and the main X-Men teams to be seperate. Have the school be somewhere else ala Generation X. Maybe Emma could start it up again.
    This is what I was going to say.

From a plot stand point it seems irresponsible to place a group of teens who are literally hunted and killed for how they are in the same building of famous super heroes who are trying to stop those people and save the world. It's almost like a two for one for any villain that wants to nix some mutants.

From a buyer stand point for those who only want to read about the X-Men superhero team or those who only care about the teen aspect would now not be forced into buying a book that they really do not want to read about.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PenUltimateInkmaster View Post
    I actually agree with Tenebrae. It's just stupid to have the school and the X-men HQ as the same place as that puts all of the students in unnecessary danger (or at least in more danger than they otherwise would of been).
    I have to disagree with that. While having the X-Men at the school can bring big enemies to the school’s doorstep, their presence at the school is also a potential deterrent against attacks. We saw that with the recent Purifier attack in OML. A mutant school will be a target regardless, but a mutant school full of X-Men presents a less inviting target for many.

Quote Originally Posted by PrezValentine View Post
    Currently the school is just a scenario, since Gold is about Kitty, Red is about the new mutant nation and Blue is about tackling threats the "main team" doesn't go against. Might as well close it since, for plot purposes, no book treats it as more than background. Speaking on practical terms, naturally.
    This is an issue yes. Hopefully when Hickman takes over he goes for a more integrated ‘school book’ approach, like Morrison and Aaron did.

Send the X-Men back to Westchester and to the old X-Mansion/Xavier Estate where they'll live open up some "Unity" centers so mutant kids and families can have a place to register for the school which will be in another location than the X-Mansion. The school won't have the name Xavier or Grey due to safety concerns and students and families only learn it's name and location once vetted, accepted, and registered. Have Kitty run the school like now and call it the Pryde School or Institute and thus the name has a double meaning.

While you're right, DDM, there's also a bigger risk for the students despite that. Even if the presence of the X-men serves as a deterrent, there are still villains who would attack the school regardless, which, again, puts the students in danger.

If they were to seperate the school and the X-men HQ, then the school would need a lot of security, maybe even more than the HQ, just to ensure that the students are safe. That, or they would have to place the school somewhere discreet and non-descript, or a secret location or something.

I think the school needs to stay, but maybe split into two with one that focuses on the younger students with noncombative skills (like preschool to high school) maybe in the context of a mutant community like Valle Soleada or Mutant Town and the other as a training academy ( high school to college) for new X-Men learning combat along with other advanced skills and filling in on teams. I quite enjoyed the last GenerationX by Christina Strain which was largely noncombat focused. Maybe Jubilee, Jono, and Page should continue the younger school? They'll still need security though, so I could see rotating X-Men in for teaching and protection needs. But I would rather see the combat team go back to Westcester.

Yes. Id rather it just be a place that the X-men live

Spectacular Member

I mean, what are they thinking?! "Yeah, let's tell all the bigots and nutters of the world that a vulnerable group of young students resides and is taught here. Let's also make sure that a superhero group (which can be easily taken out by Mesmero these days) that every supervillain and their mother has a grudge against resides there. Therefore if someone dies, they're just collateral damage. Better yet, let's put it at the least secure and most obvious place possible so that any gunman wanting to murder our students can walk in."

I think they should reopen the Massachusetts Academy and make it appear to the public that it's a regular private school.

They should keep the school, but start admitting ANY superhuman kids. Like Avengers Academy. They already have/had people like Broo and Kid Gladiator, who are extraterrestrials, and in Renew Your Vows, Spiderling, a non mutant meta, attended too (she signed up in issue 12 and left for normal high school in issue 13 set eight years later). It shouldn't matter if a student is a mutant, alien, Inhuman (Moon Girl?), or just got their powers in accident or uses tech (Jubilee's adopted non-mutant kid Shogo uses powered armor in the future we saw in Battle of the Atom). If they have powers, they need to be trained to use them responsibly.

And yes, the core X-Men team would have a different headquarters.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Robohut View Post
    They could always make Wolverine headmaster again. I don't remember any student dying in his watch.

Between ice fortresses on the flank, flying robots in the sky, Danger Rooms in the bath, monster islands in the lawn, X-Force in the back, and of course, Doop in the hall, he had it covered.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Never was a big fan of headmaster Wolverine, but i'm surprised that it wasn't a bigger killer count during his tenure.
    No students were allowed to die during the Headmaster Logan era because that would undermine his position during Schism that kids shouldn't fight, it would mean that Cyclops had a point.

And we can't have Wolverine be wrong

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    No students were allowed to die during the Headmaster Logan era because that would undermine his position during Schism that kids shouldn't fight, it would mean that Cyclops had a point.

And we can't have Wolverine be wrong
    So what you're saying is... Wolverine was right?

You can't take it back now.

They could always make Wolverine headmaster again. I don't remember any student dying in his watch.

Between ice fortresses on the flank, flying robots in the sky, Danger Rooms in the bath, monster islands in the lawn, X-Force in the back, and of course, Doop in the hall, he had it covered.

Except Storm and Kitty were his Headmistresses, his most trusted advisors, they took over running the school after he died, they continued his philosophy, and now a bunch of kids are dead.

Whoops.

No thanks, i don't want a Rightverine movement, Cyclops can keep all that "rightness" for himself .

Back on topic, i think if they want to keep the school, if should be in a secret location where no one can find it, also because most of the main X-Men aren't really cut to be teachers they should only be tangentially conected to it.
    Last edited by TheCape; 06-03-2018 at 11:14 AM.

i am very much in-favor of a distributed school system, spread out to minimize casualty and risk.

professor (man called x), kitty, beast, magnet, emma, jean, wolverine (whenever he comes back), storm, nightcrawler, havoc, polaris, and maybe cannonball and dani should form a coalition, where they are work together and communicate, but keep the student populations small