View Poll Results: Which group are the X-Men the best metaphor for?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Racism

8 13.79%
  • Sexism

0 0%
  • Homophobia

6 10.34%
  • Religious hatred

0 0%
  • Other

6 10.34%
  • All of the above-discrimination is discrimination

38 65.52%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    What I like about the X-Men is that basically everyone has felt excluded, oppressed, isolated, "marginalized" in some ways or at some times. So it's very relatable overall. Like you could put in "Nerds" for example as a category. Now, are nerds suffering "systemically" like african americans have... obviously not. So the degree of severity that the X-Men as a metaphor can analogize to your own experiences as a reader varies but I think it's important to keep it as universally applicable as possible
    Exactly this.

Quote Originally Posted by Disciple of Redd View Post
    All of the above. Virtually anyone who is ostracized or attacked for being different. That's the beauty of the metaphor.
    And this. Some people are severely attacked for being different, but people who just feel ostracized for minor reasons (a shy teenager, for instance) can equally be comforted (AND learn about solidarity and respect) thanks to this extravagant metaphor. It's great.

I marked Other and the Other is the Bullied.

The X-Men represent the bullied people and it's clearly the case with their stories, particularly since OZT onwards.

I see the X-Men as a group of persecuted mutant heroes and the positive message in Xavier's dream is that we shouldn't discriminate against people that are different than us. It's great when that resonates with some specific person's personal struggles whatever that may be but at the end of the day don't use it as an excuse to then turn around and harass others that don't agree with you. For example, in the fiction Cyclops under the influence of the Phoenix Force let himself become what he hated and actively worked against the mantra of the X-Men. He let the vocal minority of homo sapiens win by becoming what they feared and hated rather than continue to fight for peace and acceptance. This is why I've always liked Xavier and hated what writers/editorial have done to him in the past 10-15 years.

I see this mirrored a lot in the real world when for example extreme progressives/alt-left use violence in the streets to fight their cause (antifa). Granted, it's false equivalency to say they are as bad as the alt-right but violence and hate beget violence and hate.

I think ultimately these writers and editors these days live on their own islands and echo chambers and love to use this medium to push their own sometimes extreme political agenda I feel that's wrong. If you're given a book to write, try to keep your moral compass straight and in-line with reason and wisdom and leave your own rather 'extreme' political views out of the material, or sales will suffer as can be seen of late.

Let the positive messages happen naturally by way of great stories and positive role models.

and...#cyclopswaswrong #bringbackXaviersdream

BANNED

It always was about racism and bigotry at first..then the other categories started to attach themselves and related.
    Last edited by JasonEsta; 06-04-2018 at 07:26 AM.

It’s racism and homophobia but also has extends to sexism and religion in a general sense. But if we’re talking about that certain religion that thinks they are persecuted, then no.

The metaphor is always prejudice against something you never had a choice. Racism because of how mutants are treated in general and especially the ones that are not normal looking that cannot hide their mutation like Nightcrawler or Beast. Homophobia because it has such a close similarity to mutants hiding their identity because they are afraid of getting beat up. And how some mutants get their powers during adolescence is another parallel to LGBTQ which majority discovers it during sexual awakening.

But it can really be applied to a lot of things nowadays, including xenophobia. It’s a concept of minority having to deal with double standards and not the majority all the time and are legitimately oppressed and persecuted.

BANNED

It’s discrimination of all kind not just one specific one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet Rita View Post
    Exactly this.

And this. Some people are severely attacked for being different, but people who just feel ostracized for minor reasons (a shy teenager, for instance) can equally be comforted (AND learn about solidarity and respect) thanks to this extravagant metaphor. It's great.
    Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    What I like about the X-Men is that basically everyone has felt excluded, oppressed, isolated, "marginalized" in some ways or at some times. So it's very relatable overall. Like you could put in "Nerds" for example as a category. Now, are nerds suffering "systemically" like african americans have... obviously not. So the degree of severity that the X-Men as a metaphor can analogize to your own experiences as a reader varies but I think it's important to keep it as universally applicable as possible
    This. I think this also sums up why, exactly, the X-Men have been so successful over the years. If they were modeled only on a specific real life group, it would've been self limiting, in the long run.
    Last edited by Sundowhn; 06-04-2018 at 05:47 PM.

Science fiction and fantasy works best when the analogy is more abstract and subtle and everyone can draw something different from the story. The comparison with mutants is the same as any other group but that's the way it should be. There aren't really people who can fly or control the weather or read people's minds and how people would react to that happening is not the same as how people react to people of a different religion, gender, race or sexual orientation. Taking something completely fictitious and then putting the audience into those character's shoes and showing how they feel allows the audience to then see how that might related to real-life situations.

What I think audiences now react to is being hit over the head with social messages where the point of the story seems to be to deliver the social message rather than telling a good story.

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sundowhn View Post
    I think this also sums up why, exactly, the X-Men have been so successful over the years. If they were modeled only on a specific real life group, it would've been self limiting, in the long run.
    That's the definition of 'classic'

Quote Originally Posted by uebersoldat View Post
    I think ultimately these writers and editors these days live on their own islands and echo chambers and love to use this medium to push their own sometimes extreme political agenda I feel that's wrong. If you're given a book to write, try to keep your moral compass straight and in-line with reason and wisdom and leave your own rather 'extreme' political views out of the material, or sales will suffer as can be seen of late.

Let the positive messages happen naturally by way of great stories and positive role models.
    Quote Originally Posted by ClanAskani View Post
    What I think audiences now react to is being hit over the head with social messages where the point of the story seems to be to deliver the social message rather than telling a good story.
    Uh-huh. I personally think that a writer can express a lot of issues through his/her writing, it's not a wrong thing, but this must be done in a subtle way, making the story appealing and always keeping the required coherence and consistence with characters, plots and situations. Otherwise, the writer is forcing things and creating a fake story.
    Last edited by Ricochet Rita; 06-05-2018 at 04:04 AM.