All-New Member

Default Superior Spiderman run

I'm a few issues into the superior spiderman series and I'm actually enjoying it. Is this story universally hated? I saw in the fan letters to the editors a lot of people complaining about it.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyBC View Post
    I'm a few issues into the superior spiderman series and I'm actually enjoying it. Is this story universally hated? I saw in the fan letters to the editors a lot of people complaining about it.
    Wrong part of the forum, friend.

That said, I absolutely /loved/ Superior Spider-man. Much of the hate was just the typical nerd-rage.

I though it was decent … but honestly I _loved_ the superior spider man costume. It was just so _sick_. All-time favorite of mine, and the 4-limbs just look way better than that awkward 3-limbed Iron-Spider.

supsm2013015cvr.jpg

Last time I read Spider Man he was Superior. Just a great storyline. Quite a few people that I seen got alot of rage was with how Ock was doing and better job with tech and planning that Peter couldn't do.They way he would use strategy to watch over New York and fight he's rogues was brilliant.
    Last edited by Tony Stark; 06-04-2018 at 02:14 PM.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Everything that's released is hated all the time when it comes to Comic Books. Unless it's Silver Age stuff, never question that or a bunch of neckbeards will leak your names to the Mafia.

That aside: I thought it was a strange idea but executed very well across the board, from guest appearances to the main series (or at least the partying it that I read)

And yes: Superior Spiderman had easily the best costume.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter

I think it's safe to say that at the time a lot of dislike may have had to do with Spider-Man being killed off ostensibly "for good." As the series went on and now in retrospect that we know for a fact that it wasn't a "permanent" shift but just a side story, I think it's easier to examine it without the baggage of the premise and just take it on its own terms.

Conversely, not every series is for everyone. I tried it and hate it; while the fact that Peter Parker himself wasn't there was a huge dealbreaker (that character is the sole reason I read Spider-Man), I also have found that Dan Slott's writing style and kinds of stories do not click with me at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Matternativ View Post
    Everything that's released is hated all the time when it comes to Comic Books. Unless it's Silver Age stuff, never question that or a bunch of neckbeards will leak your names to the Mafia.
    I've read some of the ASM stuff from that era. Not bad, but I would maintain that modern comics are much better in overall quality.

And yes: Superior Spiderman had easily the best costume.
    Really? I hate that design; not enough color. Although, to be fair, it's does manage to look both sinister and like a "real" Spider-Man costume (which is the exact opposite of sinister), which was exactly what Superior needed for its protagonist.
    Last edited by WebLurker; 06-04-2018 at 08:17 AM.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

iMan 42s

The first half isn't that great but it really picks up in the second. If anything was bad it was the fallout and that's because Volume 3 is actually pretty bad. The era though suffers from inconsistencies regarding Superior Spider-man where writers had vastly different takes on him where he is villainous, heroic, or an anti-hero. Keep in mind he was doing this either to prove himself a better Spider-man than Peter Parker, or he genuinely believed he had to.

I also didn't appreciate how nobody learned anything from the experience or nobody used their brains during the whole thing. The X-men, Fantastic Four, and Avengers all have experience with this sort of thing and yet nobody really put it together? That's ridiculous. Otherwise if you can get past people taking the stupid pills and inconsistent main character the era is worth a read.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

IMO Superior and Spidey 2099 are the best Spider-Men ever created. It really is down right brilliant what Ock does with Peter's own talents and taking them up a level.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

could not be universally hated. I occupy this universe and it's been my favorite Spider-man material.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post

I've read some of the ASM stuff from that era. Not bad, but I would maintain that modern comics are much better in overall quality.
    Eh, I was just doing a bit of passiv aggressive frustration venting aimed at Comic Book Fans in general. (Or Fans of pretty much every media in general)
    There is certainly good stuff there otherwise modern comics would hardly be around.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Really? I hate that design; not enough color. Although, to be fair, it's does manage to look both sinister and like a "real" Spider-Man costume (which is the exact opposite of sinister), which was exactly what Superior needed for its protagonist.
    Well I'm always a fan of toned down colours. Doesn't have to be a 90ies Batman Comics edgelord fest but I'll take Red and Black over red and Blue any day.
    And as you said, it was a perfect fit for the character they portrayed back then.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter

Mighty Member

In my experience it's hated by a handful of prolific posters on the CBR boards. In real life I find the vast majority of people who have read it really liked it.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

It was a pretty good run especially if you came in during Ends of the Earth. It also brought Anna who's a pretty good character. Peter losing Parker Industries made me cry.

The 2nd Superior costume was based on a ninja design so it's mostly black.

Eh, I was just doing a bit of passiv aggressive frustration venting aimed at Comic Book Fans in general. (Or Fans of pretty much every media in general)
    There is certainly good stuff there otherwise modern comics would hardly be around.
    Fair enough. I'm not exactly impressed with online fandom as of late either.

Well I'm always a fan of toned down colours. Doesn't have to be a 90ies Batman Comics edgelord fest but I'll take Red and Black over red and Blue any day.
    And as you said, it was a perfect fit for the character they portrayed back then.
    Okay, fair enough.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)