19 24.05%
  • New Challengers

16 20.25%
  • The Unexpected

13 16.46%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I don't think it was the branding so much as the approach, it was being treated as some sort of line but it also had Batman in it for good measure. It was a different Batman, one existing in a pulp setting, but on some level that shows a lack of faith in the material. Vertigo is where I'd wager those properties would flourish, but they could survive at DC with the right creative team and some marketing. Perhaps as a digital title. Darwyn Cooke's Spirit was wonderful and it was doing relatively well while he was on it if memory serves.

I know I suggest him for everything, but this is making me realize how much I'd love a Doc Shaner Spirit one-shot.
    Last edited by Robanker; 09-17-2018 at 10:31 PM.

For many years I haven’t liked any of Jim Lee’s character designs as they seemed very 90s and outdated, but I loved his designs for The Immortal Men. While the book didn’t catch on and the story was obviously condensed since it got cancelled I really hope these characters stick around and appear in other books. Or maybe they could finish up the Immortal Men story in a JLA arc. DC has a lack of Asian male superhero and I think Caden Park the new Immortal Man could be great. Same with Ghost Fist. I just don’t want to see these guys fade into obscurity. They have potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    . . . DC has a lack of Asian male superhero and I think Caden Park the new Immortal Man could be great . . .
    As long as they don't use that "blood mask" on him.
    It's just one tiny step away from putting a big red clown nose on him!

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I agree and would like that as well, but DC would equate First Wave's failure to land with the pulp market and thus not follow through. If anything, The Spirit was the best possible fit for the DCU and it didn't take once Darwyn left the title, sad to say.
    I know, I was so sad when Darwyn left the title. That must be one of the best DC runs of its decade.

I think the only way DC could pull it off is to rub a whole bunch of pulp over a major, established character like Wonder Woman or Batman. I don't even think Aquaman could sustain respectable sales with a hefty amount of pulp mixed in (which is sad given he was very pulp-y back in the day).
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I know, I was so sad when Darwyn left the title. That must be one of the best DC runs of its decade.

I think the only way DC could pull it off is to rub a whole bunch of pulp over a major, established character like Wonder Woman or Batman. I don't even think Aquaman could sustain respectable sales with a hefty amount of pulp mixed in (which is sad given he was very pulp-y back in the day).
    Funny story, I wrote one of my college papers about Darwyn's Spirit run and got a very high grade. That run was amazing and I always recommend it to anyone I find.

Problem is that like Jonah Hex, eventually they'll time travel whoever they use into the modern age to meet the usual superheroes, and if it takes place on an alternate Earth, eventually that Earth's Batman will take over the book because he sells more. Some digital minis, though? I'd be all over that, especially if they're duing the JSA's hey day. Sandman, anyone? I'd be all in.

Updates per this months solicitations: Sideways cancelled at issue 13, Brimstone at issue 12. Just leaves Damage, Silencer, and Terrifics from this line.

Who the hell is buying Damage? Can’t believe that’s one of the longest surviving books. Terrifics may or may not end with Lemire, I hope it doesn’t. I would like Yang to take over for him on the book. If it does end it will be with issue 14 since that’s Lemire’s last.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Who the hell is buying Damage? Can’t believe that’s one of the longest surviving books. Terrifics may or may not end with Lemire, I hope it doesn’t. I would like Yang to take over for him on the book. If it does end it will be with issue 14 since that’s Lemire’s last.
    Not me. Seems like it was just for hyping up Tony Daniel art. They need to bring back the real damage already.

I said that Silencer and The Terrifics were going to be the last ones.

Damage is the #2 naoh selling title at my LCS. I enjoy it. Its dumb mindless fun.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by chachi View Post
    Updates per this months solicitations: Sideways cancelled at issue 13, Brimstone at issue 12. Just leaves Damage, Silencer, and Terrifics from this line.
    It's wired that Silencer is continuing, sales were usually below Sideways.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    It's wired that Silencer is continuing, sales were usually below Sideways.
    On Comixology, issue 10 was in the top 25 sales the week it went out. It's possible that DC saw strong sales in digital or in trades and decided to keep it running for the time being. I'm not sure Sideways had such strong digital sales.

BANNED

I'm stunned that Silencer outlasted everyone but Terrifics and Damage. It can possibly outlast them both too if the former ends with Lemire's departure and the latter does seem aimless.

I have a feeling The Terrifics will end soon, Lemire is leaving after issue 14 anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by chachi View Post
    Terrible news.
    I loved Sideways and Brimstone. My favorite books in the line.
    But really, I knew that these books weren't going to last. New concepts hardly ever take off. Especially with DC's readership.
    #EmmaWasRight

Astonishing Member

Was unexpected issue 6 the last one?

I'm dissapointed silencer is done

I've liked these titles so I hope the characters hang around

I thought immortal had some good ideas especially ghost

Damage could easy fit into suicide squad

I would like to see more of the unexpected especially the 2 who got killed early doors