• Curse of Brimstone

19 24.05%
  • New Challengers

16 20.25%
  • The Unexpected

13 16.46%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

I’m giving Immortal Men a shot. It seems to be very unpopular out of all the books.
    Favorite Characters: Wolfsbane, Storm, Psylcoke, Beast, Feral, Tempo, Nightcrawler, Quicksilver

Favorite Titles: X-Men Red, Legion of X, Marauders, Hellions

I wish I could redo this thread. I picked up the first 3 issues of Immortal Men and I am hooked! Great characters and love the art. I so far like Stray and Reload a lot........Terrifics, Immortal Men, Silencer, and New Challengers are what I’m reading from this line.
    Favorite Characters: Wolfsbane, Storm, Psylcoke, Beast, Feral, Tempo, Nightcrawler, Quicksilver

Yeah, I gotta sit down and get caught up with Immortal Men. I'm at least one issue behind now, I think. Like I said on the last page, that's the book I'm probably gonna drop. Everything else, so far, I have no intentions of dropping anytime soon.

And the Unexpected was absolutely as good as I had hoped it would be. A few twists I didn't expect, one of the best new villains to come out of DC in years and years, some ties and name-drops to some of my favorite DC events and characters (many of them Morrison's work), and Firebrand and Neon are interesting; Firebrand especially has my attention and Neon has enough mystery around him to keep my interest strong. Also really like the Viking Judge design, for what that's worth. This might have become my favorite New Age book with just one issue.

Still waiting on that Dr. Doom riff in Terrifics though.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Yeah, I gotta sit down and get caught up with Immortal Men. I'm at least one issue behind now, I think. Like I said on the last page, that's the book I'm probably gonna drop. Everything else, so far, I have no intentions of dropping anytime soon.

And the Unexpected was absolutely as good as I had hoped it would be. A few twists I didn't expect, one of the best new villains to come out of DC in years and years, some ties and name-drops to some of my favorite DC events and characters (many of them Morrison's work), and Firebrand and Neon are interesting; Firebrand especially has my attention and Neon has enough mystery around him to keep my interest strong. Also really like the Viking Judge design, for what that's worth. This might have become my favorite New Age book with just one issue.

Still waiting on that Dr. Doom riff in Terrifics though.
    Dr. Doom riff, LOL!

My current order of what I’m reading:

1.) Terrifics- still the best out of all of them
    2.) Silencer- Really love Honor. Best new character of 2018.
    3.) Immortal Men- great characters and really like the art
    4.) New Challengers- ok so far.

Purely subjective but so far my favorites are :

1. The Silencer
    2. The Unexpected
    3. The Curse of Brimstone
    4. The Immortal Men
    5. Sideways
    6. Damage
    7. The Terrifics
    8. New Challengers

And honestly, all of those books are pretty great. I hope that each and every of the new character will manage to become a staple, no matter how small, of the wider DCU. I want a tag team between Superman, Wonder Woman and Damage against Doomsday, Silencer with the Outlaws, The Immortal Men and the Unexpected barging in to help save the day in the next Crisis-level event, Brimstone and Sideways helping in JLD and JLO, etc.

I bought the first two issues of all 8, the ones I voted for were Silencer, Damage, Terrifics and Sideways. While I tried all 8 books, those are the only ones I am still reading. In my opinion Silencer is far and away the best book, It's a great intro of a new character, that really ties in well to an already established corner of the DCU. Terrifics has been really good as well, I have never really liked Mr. Terrific all that much but this book is really making the most of him as a character. Damage and Sideways are both just entertaining reads, nothing too heavy, just quick fun stories. I plan on buying those 4 for as long as they run.

The unexpected was one of the worst comics I have purchased in a long time and the immortal men wasn't much better. Overall I think that just goes on the writers to me, I can't think of anything written by tynion or orlando that I have actually enjoyed so It wasn't too surprising to me those didn't work for me. Challengers was a book I really wanted to like but I just couldn't get into and got bored with each issue I tried and had to really force myself to finish them. Brimstone was ok, I just could not get past the art with that one and honestly I didn't find the plot entertaining enough to continue with it.

I do hope at least a few of these books make it past 12 issues, I really love that DC tried this and hope that even if these series get cancelled that these characters get folded into the larger DCU. Easily I think, Sideways would fit nicely with the titans, Silencer could work in Red Hood and the Outlaws, Damage would be an interesting candidate for Suicide Squad
    Last edited by regg215; 07-15-2018 at 01:04 AM.
    "You know, there are some words I've known since I was a schoolboy: "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged"- CAPT. Picard

Astonishing Member

So far I've kept with them all except brimstone, which was only due to the art not being to my taste

I'll admit damage is starting to drag a little and the ending to the recent issue 6 of sideways has irritated me, ill not say why if you haven't read it

Terrific and silencer are outstanding imo

Immortals and challengers are good

The most recent release the unexpected looks promising

In order:

-- THE GOOD

1) Curse of Brimstone (the best of the bunch);

2) The Terrifics (undoubtedly good, but I'm not 100% convinced yet);

3) Damage (very thin on plot, but there's much worse on the stands);

-- THE MEDIOCRE

4) The Silencer (good rhythm, but it packs more WTF moments than I was ready for);

-- THE BAD

5) New Challengers (the Challengers deserve better);

6) Sideways (yeah, let's have the guy who turned the Titans franchise into a snuff comic write a book about a brand new teen hero already plagued by the dullest color scheme in existence, what could go wrong?);

7) The Immortal Men (James Tynion IV on a comic that looks like it was rescued from the scrap basket of a 90's Image creator -- truly the worst of both worlds);

8) The Unexpected (I've rarely felt so little interest in what I'm reading as when I'm reading a comic written by Steve Orlando).

I feel like Sideways and Silencer have the most potential for staying relevant in the DCU after their books end, so I'm not surprised they're tied for 2nd in the poll. Terrifics leading the poll makes sense considering they're all of them are established characters already and the book is entertaining.
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    I feel like Sideways and Silencer have the most potential for staying relevant in the DCU after their books end, so I'm not surprised they're tied for 2nd in the poll. Terrifics leading the poll makes sense considering they're all of them are established characters already and the book is entertaining.
    Yeah I think your correct

I think silencer especially coukd have a long run in the deathstroke or batman mythos

I'd love to see her in Kate's book longer term

Sideways in a titans role, but he might be a touch old for the teens a bit new for the titans, still he could work in that mythos too imo

I'd like damage in suicide squad

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    Yeah I think your correct

I think silencer especially coukd have a long run in the deathstroke or batman mythos

I'd love to see her in Kate's book longer term

Sideways in a titans role, but he might be a touch old for the teens a bit new for the titans, still he could work in that mythos too imo

I'd like damage in suicide squad
    I love all your ideas!
    WHO DAT?!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfsbane View Post
    Dr. Doom riff, LOL!
    You know it's coming! The Terrifics is so very much the Fantastic Four it wouldn't be at all proper to not have a Dr. Doom!

Actually, who knows, they might be trying to build Stagg up for that role. He's already established in Rex's mythos and he's being shown as a business rival to Holt. He's not Holt's equal on any level except business acumen, but that might be the "spin" they put on their "Dr. Doom." Instead of being Reed/Michael's intellectual equal, Stagg is Holt's business equal.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Regardless of how the Immortal Men turns out, I really hope DC keeps Ghost Fist around. A Shadow-like characters from 1920s Harlem. Such a cool concept. Really want to see him meet Batman.

I definitely wish DC would dig deeper in the pulp roots of the medium. I loved The Others from New52 era Aquaman, I loved the Batman-Shadow mini......

Ideally I'd love to see DC get control of old pulp IP's like Green Hornet, Phantom, and Shadow, but I'll happily accept proxies like Ghost Fist too.

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I definitely wish DC would dig deeper in the pulp roots of the medium. I loved The Others from New52 era Aquaman, I loved the Batman-Shadow mini......

Ideally I'd love to see DC get control of old pulp IP's like Green Hornet, Phantom, and Shadow, but I'll happily accept proxies like Ghost Fist too.
    Great post! I want the same things.....I’m a fan of all 4 characters in Immortal Men. I hope they stick around for awhile.