• Curse of Brimstone

19 24.05%
  • New Challengers

16 20.25%
  • The Unexpected

13 16.46%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

I can’t belive they already cancelled Immortal Men. I was enjoying it!
    Favorite Characters: Wolfsbane, Storm, Psylcoke, Beast, Feral, Tempo, Nightcrawler, Quicksilver

Favorite Titles: X-Men Red, Legion of X, Marauders, Hellions

The only two I ended up pulling are Sideways and The Immortal Men. But really love them both.
    Current Pull: Lazarus, The Realm, Seven to Eternity, Aquaman, Flash, Justice League Dark, Justice League Odyssey, Sideways, Black Panther, Captain America, Daredevil, Death of the Inhumans.

Future Pull: Killmonger.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfsbane View Post
    I can’t belive they already cancelled Immortal Men. I was enjoying it!
    That was the main book I saw in my store's 25 cent sale. He was trying to get rid of those books.

Interesting enough-I went back today-all 25 copies were sold. Sure it was issue 1-2 but I found that interesting-folks were willing to try it more than the Hal Jordan & Justice League books that were in those bins.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Regardless of how the Immortal Men turns out, I really hope DC keeps Ghost Fist around. A Shadow-like characters from 1920s Harlem. Such a cool concept. Really want to see him meet Batman.
    I really want him to show up more in the damn Immortal Men comic book!
    Didn't really get too much feel for/spotlight on the character (and his 1920s Harlem past) in the first three issues; just bought issue #4 today, but haven't read it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I definitely wish DC would dig deeper in the pulp roots of the medium. I loved The Others from New52 era Aquaman, I loved the Batman-Shadow mini......
    I, on the other hand, hated that.
    Would have preferred it to have involved the Golden Age/late 1930s Batman and Shadow.

Ideally I'd love to see DC get control of old pulp IP's like Green Hornet, Phantom, and Shadow, but I'll happily accept proxies like Ghost Fist too.
    Unfortunately, I really don't know if DC would do those justice these days.

Mighty Member

Default Enjoying NAOH

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    That was the main book I saw in my store's 25 cent sale. He was trying to get rid of those books.

Interesting enough-I went back today-all 25 copies were sold. Sure it was issue 1-2 but I found that interesting-folks were willing to try it more than the Hal Jordan & Justice League books that were in those bins.
    Sounds like he over ordered and panicked. At least 25 copies got out there probably to speculators but maybe not. Glad to see there was more interest in Immortal Men than the mainstream titles. Icons have no traction in this market place and NAOH is the way to go. It is a more complex style of story and that is it's plus point. Sounds like a mini more than a cancellation and hopefully we'll see more but then I haven't seen the numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I, on the other hand, hated that.
    Would have preferred it to have involved the Golden Age/late 1930s Batman and Shadow.
    That would've been my preference as well. But I think it worked well enough with the modern day versions.

Really reignited my desire to see the old pulp icons in the DCU.

Or at least close approximations thereof. I'd make a thread wondering who could fit what role (who could be DC's Shadow/Green Hornet/Doc Savage/etc) but I doubt the discussion would generate much interest. The pulps don't seem terribly popular here.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

July 2018 Diamond Sales Ranking

81st- Terrifics #6- 24,746

104th- Immortal Men #4- 19,954

118th- New Challengers #3- 16,870

123rd- Unexpected #2- 16,441

132nd- Damage #7- 15,433

134th- Sideways #6- 15,152

144th- Curse of Brimstone #4- 13,741

154th-Silencer #7- 12,524

-Maybe Immortal Men was just a mini instead of an ongoing. It’s doing better than all the titles except for Terrifics.
    Favorite Characters: Wolfsbane, Storm, Psylcoke, Beast, Feral, Tempo, Nightcrawler, Quicksilver

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by alton View Post
    Sounds like he over ordered and panicked. At least 25 copies got out there probably to speculators but maybe not. Glad to see there was more interest in Immortal Men than the mainstream titles. Icons have no traction in this market place and NAOH is the way to go. It is a more complex style of story and that is it's plus point. Sounds like a mini more than a cancellation and hopefully we'll see more but then I haven't seen the numbers.
    Not really speculators-but folks who would have tried the books if prices were LOWER. Or someone getting a variant cover or a book with a digital code that was still good.

A lot of times when that sales happens-it helps the trades. Someone gets 2 or 3 issues of an arc (or in the RARE case the entire arc-looking at you Hal & Justice League & Batman) and they like it. So they get the trade.

I have seen more support for the NAOH at most stores so you don't have books that end up in bins because nobody bought them versus just clearing out a few remaining issues.

My comic shop doesn’t even order any Sideways or Curse of Brimstone. He states no one is pulling them

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfsbane View Post
    My comic shop doesn’t even order any Sideways or Curse of Brimstone. He states no one is pulling them
    Were you ordering them?

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

That would've been my preference as well. But I think it worked well enough with the modern day versions.

Really reignited my desire to see the old pulp icons in the DCU.

Or at least close approximations thereof. I'd make a thread wondering who could fit what role (who could be DC's Shadow/Green Hornet/Doc Savage/etc) but I doubt the discussion would generate much interest. The pulps don't seem terribly popular here.
    First Wave didn't do so hot a while back so it may be some time before this happens again.

Incredible Member

I've loved the TERRIFICS from the first issue! I;ve only read 2 issues of SIDEWAYS and that was for the Seven Soldiers appearance (Morrison's version) but it seemed enjoyable enough. Just not enough for me to stick with indefinitely (I do feel Vibe could have served the same role to be honest)

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    First Wave didn't do so hot a while back so it may be some time before this happens again.
    No, if there's still a market for pulp characters, DC hasn't been able to tap into it.

Honestly, I'd be happy to just see some pulp influences seep into a few titles, even if only for an arc or two at a time. Detective is the obvious place for such things, but you could swing it into Action or Aquaman or practically any title if you were a tad clever.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

No, if there's still a market for pulp characters, DC hasn't been able to tap into it.

Honestly, I'd be happy to just see some pulp influences seep into a few titles, even if only for an arc or two at a time. Detective is the obvious place for such things, but you could swing it into Action or Aquaman or practically any title if you were a tad clever.
    I agree and would like that as well, but DC would equate First Wave's failure to land with the pulp market and thus not follow through. If anything, The Spirit was the best possible fit for the DCU and it didn't take once Darwyn left the title, sad to say.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Well part of the issue is First Wave had the DC LOGO on it.

Some entitled folks feel like that has no business being made by DC-so no matter who you put on it-they will NEVER support it.

Pulp heroes are for companies like Dynamite. Where you can do whatever you want and you have decent enough orders to get a nice 36 issue run.

At most to see it in DC-you would need to do one shots or 3 issue mini.