Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

And yes, I would definitely say that movie/comics synergy are being overdone. The prime prime examples being the Guardians of the Galaxy, Nick Fury Jr, and Nadia Pym. Costume changes are annoying (more practical costumes may work better onscreen, but if I’m reading a comic, I want to see Clint Barton in the classic purple outfit with the pointy mask and H on the forehead), but they’re not as big of a deal as rewriting characters’ origins and personalities or replacing the original version with ones that would match the movies like Fury Jr. and Nadia. It’s kind of like the other big problem Marvel has when it comes to rewriting or replacing classic characters to become more “diverse” for progress points. (See Carol Danvers, Bobby Drake, Laura Kinney, and all of the replacement legacy characters.) But back to the point of synergy; it’s pretty galling as a GOTG fan to see Peter Quill transformed into a version that is nothing like the one from the run that got the Guardians a movie in the first place. IMO, the right way to do synergy is something like putting the Hulk back in the Avengers in time for the first movie, bringing Steve Rogers back in time for “The First Avenger,” do a Lizard story when he’s the villain for a Spider-Man movie, do a new story with the Infinity Stones... Don’t radically change a character’s appearance, personality, or history.
    Last edited by KurtW95; 06-06-2018 at 11:41 PM.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I actually don't think Nadia is a good example. Inspired by the movies? Sure. But if they wanted to use a movie character, they wouldn't have made her a Russian character who didn't know Hank Pym not named Hope. Her backstory, personality, and age, really, are entirely different.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateTy View Post
    Movie Shuri would be a bad idea in the comics IMO. You would have to dumb down T'challa
    Bringing movie Shuri into 616 would be a totally character replacement. Totally different from just giving Tony Robert Downey Jr's mannerisms.

Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    That's true, didn't some retailers give out last year that Marvel's diversity was putting off potential customers because the likes of Cap, Iron man and Thor weren't like their movie counterparts
    This sounds like nonsense, unless the shops only sold current books back issues and trades still exist.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    I have the headcanon than Ultimate Nick Fury killed Marcus Johnson and take his place and now he is a mole in his own crusade against SHIELD ad everybody in (this) universe.
    By the way, somebody saw the teaser of the "Asgardians of the Galaxy"?
    To me is like they are going to make Thor (and all the asgardians) like in the Ragnarok movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    I don't think that's to do with Thor himself, as he will have relaunched too recently.

My bet is something involving Beta Ray Bill. He was last seen in Unworthy Thor, and is a cosmic character associated with the Asgardian cast. The rest of his team of course would be actual Asgardians.
    Jason Aaron teased in Marvel Now that Thor would eventually join the Guardians of the Galaxy for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by milton75 View Post
    Irrespective of whether any of the other ones are good or bad, this one really rankles. I love Samuel L Jackson. I love him as MCU Nick Fury. But the last 10+ years of Nick Fury and Nick Fury Jr storylines are shockingly bad, and should be retconned the hell out of Marvel.

Thanks goodness we had that MAX series to remind folk that the real Nick Fury is a great character.
    That's basically my issue too. I love Sam Jackson in everything, I love him in MCU but the way the comics handled this was terrible and it killed a lot of potential with Marcus.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    I'd argue the worst example was having Nick Fury's illegitimate son get caught in a explosion that caused him to look like Samuel L Jackson and then he changes his name to be Nick Fury Jr. even though he's never really had that type of relationship with his dad. :P

I still maintain they should've cut the middle man and just brought Ultimate Fury along with Miles in Secret Wars.
    That's the thing that bothered me as well, he's youthful and distinctly different looking than MCU Fury throughout the whole book, but the epilogue, he like suddenly ages a few decades after he shaves his head? He was supposed to be a lot younger.

My problem with Nick Fury Jr. Is that, as the son of Nick Fury, an Army Ranger and a survivor of this crazy conspiracy, he could have been his own character. The little I read of the mini, I enjoyed Marcus and wanted to see where he would end up. I felt that he had potential to carve out his own path and be his own man with the nice bonus of having connections to a former Marvel universe bigwig.

I've loved Nick Fury since I first saw him in that episode of Spider-man TAS and the Capcom Punisher only enhanced my like of the ol' warhorse. Every cameo in X-men, Hulk, Punisher or whereever else made me smile. He was pretty awesome and to think that his story ended up the way it has is depressing. I'll always be bitter about how we got Fury changed into a pseudo-walker, because in my heart, I don't see him returning to his former glory outside of flashbacks.
    Voice Actor and Symbiote Fanatic -- Hoping for Anti-Venom's return daily.