Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshark View Post
    Agreed.Mysterio is a great villain but his characterisation does needs stronger writing.
    Have you read Web of Spider-Man (Vol.2)#4?
    It´s a story by Fred Van Lente about Mysterio past that does show characterisation well writen.Explaining why Quentin was blacklisted by Hollywood for example.
    About Quentin being low profile thats like more what i make of the few apearences of Quentin in Amazing Spider-Man.There are not many stories featuring him before he returned in the story arc that concluded in Amazing Spider-Man#200.
    I still think if Mysterio wanted to be low profile, he would not wear the most attention-grabbing costume he could find on a regular basis.

Also apparently his father actively ignored him as a child, which would fit in with a desire for fame and recognition.

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Elmore_Beck_(Earth-616)

I think there is some interesting psychological stuff you can do with an obsession with fame, that would be meatier then just another greedy villain. Lots of people do insane stuff now for internet fame.
    Last edited by The Overlord; 12-11-2018 at 07:51 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    I still think if Mysterio wanted to be low profile, he would not wear the most attention-grabbing costume he could find on a regular basis.

Also apparently his father actively ignored him as a child, which would fit in with a desire for fame and recognition.

I think there is some interesting psychological stuff you can do with an obsession with fame, that would be meatier then just another greedy villain. Lots of people do insane stuff now for internet fame.
    I think Mysterio costume have to do with Quentin ego at being a master of illusions and his admiration of creatures and aliens from older Science Fiction movies.So that combination made for such a attention-grapping costume as Mysterio have.
    Thanks fort the info,it had been years since i read that Mysterio story arc in Web Spinners so i had forgoten about it.
    Mysterio being obsessed with fame could be interesting indeed.Hopefully the next story with Mysterio will have more characterisation developed.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshark View Post
    I think Mysterio costume have to do with Quentin ego at being a master of illusions and his admiration of creatures and aliens from older Science Fiction movies.So that combination made for such a attention-grapping costume as Mysterio have.
    Thanks fort the info,it had been years since i read that Mysterio story arc in Web Spinners so i had forgoten about it.
    Mysterio being obsessed with fame could be interesting indeed.Hopefully the next story with Mysterio will have more characterization developed.
    I think its there, Guardian Devil certainly made obsessed with fame before dying, which was why he became totally immoral in that story. I think that and his plan to make himself a public hero in his first appearance, it makes his motives more clear. I think the elements are there, someone just has to weave them together. If he grew up obsessed with movies, worked in Hollywood and even plans to become an actor, a desire for fame would inform his motives, IMO. I think he can move away from his attention seeking ways and focus on profit for a little while, but he always comes back to his old ways.

All Quentin ever wanted was to bring his stories to life. Instead, he's now cast as a supporting antagonist in The Bye Bye Man 2: Centipede y Demonio. That's show biz for ya.

when has he been portrayed as "just another greedy villain?" he's the guy that tricked Wolverine into killing the majority of the world's heroes.

Incredible Member Master Planner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    I know! Remember when he tricked wolverine into killing the xmen using just his illusions? Absolutely insane!
    I love Mysterio,but i hate the use of him in Old Man Logan. I mean, Mysterio tricking a guy with enhanced senses and using him in a team full of telepaths it's lazy Millar's work. Plus, X-men lore has illusionist far more powerful than Mysterio.

Outside of that, i love Mysterio as a Spider-Man foe.
    " I am Loki Scar-Lip, Loki Skywalker, Loki Giant's Child, Loki Lie-Smith. I am Loki, who is fire and wit and hate. I am Loki. And I will be under an obligation to no one."

Previously known as Nefarius

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    when has he been portrayed as "just another greedy villain?" he's the guy that tricked Wolverine into killing the majority of the world's heroes.
    There are a lot of times when they do that, like when he ran nursing home and tried to get a hidden treasure from the Parker house. I remember a Sinister Six story from the 90s where Mysterio was using illusions to rob a armored car, how much is he spending to rob that armored car?

And that was one scene in Old Man Logan (that might not have even been Beck) one scene does not make Old Man Logan an iconic Mysterio story.

What you need is a 6 issue arc where we get to see what makes Mysterio tick, rather then just another story where he is a plot device.
    Last edited by The Overlord; 12-12-2018 at 09:44 AM.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

There are a lot of times when they do that, like when he ran nursing home and tried to get a hidden treasure from the Parker house. I remember a Sinister Six story from the 90s where Mysterio was using illusions to rob a armored car, how much is he spending to rob that armored car?

And that was one scene in Old Man Logan (that might not have even been Beck) one scene does not make Old Man Logan an iconic Mysterio story.

What you need is a 6 issue arc where we get to see what makes Mysterio tick, rather then just another story where he is a plot device.
    You might get that in Dead Man Logan, since that's supposed to be a 12-issue maxiseries closing out the Old Man Logan series and the basic plot is that since Old Man Logan is dying . . . he figures he might as well kill Mysterio before Mysterio uses his present-day self (who is back from the dead and will probably rejoin the X-Men at some point) to kill all the X-Men. At least, that's what I recall.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    You might get that in Dead Man Logan, since that's supposed to be a 12-issue maxiseries closing out the Old Man Logan series and the basic plot is that since Old Man Logan is dying . . . he figures he might as well kill Mysterio before Mysterio uses his present-day self (who is back from the dead and will probably rejoin the X-Men at some point) to kill all the X-Men. At least, that's what I recall.
    We shall see, I would rather the Spidey writers try to develop Mysterio in their books, rather trying to do it in an Old Man Logan mini-series.

If had my way, I would sharpen the differences between the B-list Spidey villains to make them more unique, like what they did Electro by giving him a massive inferiority complex. I would make Shocker more noble and sympathetic and make Mysterio more creepy and sinister.

We shall see, I would rather the Spidey writers try to develop Mysterio in their books, rather trying to do it in an Old Man Logan mini-series.

If had my way, I would sharpen the differences between the B-list Spidey villains to make them more unique, like what they did Electro by giving him a massive inferiority complex. I would make Shocker more noble and sympathetic and make Mysterio more creepy and sinister.
    that has already happened with Shocker. it's why She-Hulk represented him in court. and they literally just paired Mysterio with Miss Sinister as a corrupting influence. it sounds as if you're judging characters by their all-ages book appearances.

Astonishing Member

The story in Dead Man Logan that is featuring Mysterio as the main villain is being quite well written. I liked the references to the last stories that had Mysterio were explained by Quentin Beck himself.
    I think Ed Brisson is writing a cool story with Mysterio.
    Looking forward to reading the next stories and I am not even the biggest fan of stories featuring Spider-Man villains in other super hero comic books !

BANNED

Amazing Spider-Man #67 Dec 1968
    "To Squash a Spider!"
    Mysterio has miniaturized Spider-Man and placed him in a tiny amusement park;

Can Spider-Man survive this deadly Hall of Mirrors?

Script by Stan Lee, pencils by John Romita Sr., inks by Jim Mooney

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    Amazing Spider-Man #67 Dec 1968
    "To Squash a Spider!"
    Mysterio has miniaturized Spider-Man and placed him in a tiny amusement park;

Can Spider-Man survive this deadly Hall of Mirrors?

Script by Stan Lee, pencils by John Romita Sr., inks by Jim Mooney
    Amazing Spider-Man#66 and 67 was one of the first stories i read with Mysterio.
    And is still one of my favorites Spider-Man stories.The story and art are great.