Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 43
  1. #16
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Posts
    6,915

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaxHouse View Post
    Yes, Quinten did killed himself when he failed to destroyed DD's spirit......as to how he came back; I'll let somebody else answered that one....!!!
    According to Peter David, he actually ended up in hell and was brought back by demonic forces that wanted to use him against Spider-Man in Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man. Then somebody else during Brand New Day had him reappear as his old self, claiming that it was all just smoke and mirrors --- "Master of illusion, duh!" Since utilizing Mysterio in Ben Reilly: The Scarlet Spider, PAD has implied if not outright stated that Mysterio actually did die and wind up in hell, only to have somehow reclaimed his life and freed himself from his servitude to the forces of hell, which was why he was retired before Misty pulled him back in.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

  2. #17
    Astonishing Member whiteshark's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,637

    Default

    Mysterio is a great villain.
    I think visually the character is so linked to the peculiar Steve Dikto art style that is way cool.
    A shame that Mysterio never had that many stories,but i am trade waiting Scarlet Spider to read the most recent story that have Mysterio.

  3. #18

    Default

    I really do think Good 'Ol Mysty is quite underused and underrated. Sure, his bowl might not seem very threatening, but when when you dig down to what he actually is, he does have the potential to be a Major threat. He can null the Spidey sense, he can break him psychologically, and whatever weird demon powers Mephistopho gave him. Makes you wonder what he could do if he was given some proper love (a miniseries, event, etc).

  4. #19
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Posts
    6,915

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy The Crabbo View Post
    I really do think Good 'Ol Mysty is quite underused and underrated. Sure, his bowl might not seem very threatening, but when when you dig down to what he actually is, he does have the potential to be a Major threat. He can null the Spidey sense, he can break him psychologically, and whatever weird demon powers Mephistopho gave him. Makes you wonder what he could do if he was given some proper love (a miniseries, event, etc).
    He is apparently going to be the main villain of the 12-part finale of Old Man Logan called "Dead Man Logan," and in the original Old Man Logan by Mark Millar, Mysterio was the one who used Wolverine to massacre the X-Men, tricking him with illusions that made him perceive the X-Men as various enemies that Wolverine proceeded to slaughter, believing that they were invading the mansion. Mysterio dropped the illusion just in time for Wolverine to see Jubilee die in his arms, and then mocked him over it. Real heinous stuff, and that's just an A/U. For main-canon heinousness, check out Kevin Smith's Guardian Devil arc that relaunched Daredevil for Marvel Knights back in 1998, if you haven't already.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

  5. #20
    The One Above All 616MarvelYear is LeapYear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Marvel Studios
    Posts
    10,230

    Default

    Amazing Spider-Man #66 Nov 1968
    "The Madness of Mysterio!"
    Mysterio has broken out of prison and is using his special effects prowess to prepare another plot to get revenge against Spider-Man;


    Meanwhile, Spidey recovers his clothes and camera left in the debris following his fight with the Vulture;
    The next day he tries to sell the pictures to Jameson; Furious that Parker "abandoned" him when he was supposed to be taking pictures
    of Spider-Man's battle with the Vulture, he throws Parker out of the building, telling Peter that he doesn't need him to take pictures;
    Appearing on television, Mysterio issues a challenge to Spider-Man to meet him to a fight to the finish or he will start destroying city bridges.

    Script by Stan Lee, pencils by John Romita Sr. (layouts) and Don Heck (pencils), inks by Mike Esposito (as Mickey Demeo)
    Imperius Rex!
    http://www.tradingcarddb.com/Images/.../74396-9Bk.jpg
    It's clobberin' time! Hulk is strongest one there is! Have at thee!
    http://www.tradingcarddb.com/Images/...74396-51Bk.jpg
    I'm the best there is at what I do, but what I do best isn't very nice.
    http://www.tradingcarddb.com/Images/...74396-43Bk.jpg

  6. #21

    Default

    i was thinking the other day how much fun it would have been to see Mysterio as one of the Dark Avengers (in any of the iterations). i think he'd have a lot of fun playing hero; given his background.

  7. #22
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Posts
    6,915

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    i was thinking the other day how much fun it would have been to see Mysterio as one of the Dark Avengers (in any of the iterations). i think he'd have a lot of fun playing hero; given his background.
    He might be doing exactly that in Spider-Man: Far From Home, based on the summary of the trailer that came out this past weekend.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

  8. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    He might be doing exactly that in Spider-Man: Far From Home, based on the summary of the trailer that came out this past weekend.
    interesting. I've been avoiding any news on it. I was a little let down by Homecoming (but it wasn't a bad movie). I thought it might help to go in blind. but what you're suggesting could be kind of cool. it might elevate Mysterio a bit.

  9. #24
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Posts
    6,915

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    interesting. I've been avoiding any news on it. I was a little let down by Homecoming (but it wasn't a bad movie). I thought it might help to go in blind. but what you're suggesting could be kind of cool. it might elevate Mysterio a bit.
    Yeah, I mention that because the trailer summary has him acting more as a hero and ally to Spider-Man.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

  10. #25
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,556

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whiteshark View Post
    Mysterio is a great villain.
    I think visually the character is so linked to the peculiar Steve Dikto art style that is way cool.
    A shame that Mysterio never had that many stories,but i am trade waiting Scarlet Spider to read the most recent story that have Mysterio.
    The problem with Mysterio is he is often written as a gimmick rather than a character, some of his stories can be fun, but you hardly ever learn anything about the man himself, its just him using his gimmick and not much else, which makes him more of a plot device then a character and the stories become less fun over time if all he is a gimmick. Its kinda sad that one of Mysterio's best stories in is in the Daredevil comics, because it showed him being far more ruthless then he was in the past.

    I think a big question should be how ruthless should Mysterio be, should he be willing to kill or torment civilians to get what he wants? And what's his motive, the comics go back and forth between simple greed and a desire for fame. To me the fame thing is far interesting and makes sense, if he is just greedy, what makes him different from say Shocker in terms of motives and really there is no way he is making money robbing banks on a Hollywood blockbuster budget. The fame obsession is creepier and relevant for the modern times.
    Last edited by The Overlord; 12-11-2018 at 05:13 PM.

  11. #26
    Astonishing Member whiteshark's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,637

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    The problem with Mysterio is he is often written as a gimmick rather than a character, some of his stories can be fun, but hardly ever learn anything about the man himself, its just him using his gimmick and not much else, which makes him more of a plot device then a character and the stories become less fun over time if all he is a gimmick. Its kinda sad that one of Mysterio's best stories in is in the Daredevil comics, because it showed him being far more ruthless then he was in the past.

    I think a big question should be how ruthless should Mysterio be, should he be willing to kill or torment civilians to get what he wants? And what's his motive, the comics go back and forth between simple greed and a desire for fame. To me the fame thing is far interesting and makes sense, if he is just greedy, what makes him different from say Shocker in terms of motives and really there is no way he is making money robbing banks on a Hollywood blockbuster budget. The fame obsession is creepier and relevant for the modern times.
    Mysterio motivation is similiar to Electro.Both characters are shown to be greedy in their original stories.Quentin was a stunt man ,that took interest in the special effects department in the movies industry and after losing his job as a Special Effects director went to became a criminal.Him being a gimmick is debatable to me.I think Mysterio motivation have been well developed in the first story to be more that a plain gimmick villain.
    I for example find it surprising that the interest Quentin had in Special Effects in the movies had not been developed in more stories,could make for funny stories visually speaking with movies references like old Sci Fi Movies.

  12. #27
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,556

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whiteshark View Post
    Mysterio motivation is similiar to Electro.Both characters are shown to be greedy in their original stories.Quentin was a stunt man ,that took interest in the special effects department in the movies industry and after losing his job as a Special Effects director went to became a criminal.Him being a gimmick is debatable to me.I think Mysterio motivation have been well developed in the first story to be more that a plain gimmick villain.
    I for example find it surprising that the interest Quentin had in Special Effects in the movies had not been developed in more stories,could make for funny stories visually speaking with movies references like old Sci-Fi Movies.
    The problem is greed is the most generic motive you can give a villain, what makes Mysterio's greed any different from greedy villains like Electro, Sandman, Shocker, Vulture, etc. If half of Spidey's rogue's gallery just as basic greed as their motive, what makes their motives stand out from each other? It makes many of them seem one dimensional. I roll my eyes at a villain where writers and the fans can only give basic greed as the only motive for a character and not add anything else. I think they least gave a reason why he got blacklisted from Hollywood, which is a start. What is his motive beyond the typical greed motive that half the Spidey villains have?

    I will say in his first appearance at the beginnings of some good ideas, Mysterio didn't just rob banks to get rich but tried to make himself into a hero by framing Spidey and trying to defeat him. If he did not desire fame, why not come up with a more subtle plan to get rich that would not purposely cross paths with Spidey in order to make himself a hero? Again, there have to be a million different ways for Mysterio to make money then spending 50 million dollars in special effects to steal a one million dollars from the bank. The obsession with fame is just a better motive for him, because otherwise, what makes him different than any other bank robbing villain out there? To me expanding on the desire for fame we saw even in the beginning is more interesting, then forgetting it exists and making Mysterio another generic greedy villain. (with M.O that would ensure he would never make a profit). To me making him just a greedy villain is taking the less interesting path with him.
    Last edited by The Overlord; 12-11-2018 at 05:28 PM.

  13. #28
    Astonishing Member whiteshark's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,637

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    The problem is greed is the most generic motive you can give a villain, what makes Mysterio's greed any different from greedy villains like Electro, Sandman, Shocker, Vulture, etc. If half of Spidey's rogue's gallery just as basic greed as their motive, what makes their motives stand out from each other? It makes many of them seem one dimensional. I roll my eyes at a villain where writers and the fans can only give basic greed as the only motive for a character and not add anything else. I think they least gave a reason why he got blacklisted from Hollywood, which is a start. What is his motive beyond the typical greed motive that half the Spidey villains have?

    I will say in his first appearance at the beginnings of some good ideas, Mysterio didn't just rob banks to get rich but tried to make himself into a hero by framing Spidey and trying to defeat him. If he did not desire fame, why not come up with a more subtle plan to get rich that would not purposely cross paths with Spidey in order to make himself a hero? Again, there have to be a million different ways for Mysterio to make money then spending 50 million dollars in special effects to steal a one million dollars from the bank. The obsession with fame is just a better motive for him, because otherwise, what makes him different than any other bank robbing villain out there? To me expanding on the desire for fame we saw even in the beginning is more interesting, then forgetting it exists and making Mysterio another generic greedy villain. (with M.O that would ensure he would never make a profit). To me making him just a greedy villain is taking the less interesting path with him.
    Mysterio did tried to frame Spider-Man in his first apearence he was a self called hero that would defeat Spider-Man.But after him being defeated by Spider-Man he returned to team up with the Wizard and returned in the story posted a few post´s above this time being set in defeating Spider-Man.
    One could argue that Mysterio just did not wanted to be in the spot light,after all when the original Mysterio returned in Amazing Spider-Man it was just with issue 200th and even in that story he was not using the Mysterio suit anymore.
    So that could explain in part the lack of development of Quentin Beck motivation besides greed.
    Either way i think Mysterio have been quite under used in the stories and would like to see more stories with him in the Spider-Man stories devoleping his characterisation besides just making illusions or being ocasionally with the Sinister Six or being in the Gauntlet.
    Last edited by whiteshark; 12-11-2018 at 05:51 PM.

  14. #29
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,556

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whiteshark View Post
    Mysterio did tried to frame Spider-Man in his first apearence he was a self called hero that would defeat Spider-Man.But after him being defeated by Spider-Man he returned to team up with the Wizard and returned in the story posted a few post´s above this time being set in defeating Spider-Man.
    One could argue that Mysterio just did not wanted to be in the spot light,after all when the original Mysterio returned in Amazing Spider-Man it was just with issue 200th and even in that story he was not using the Mysterio suit anymore.
    So that could explain in part the lack of development of Quentin Beck motivation besides greed.
    Either way i think Mysterio have been quite under used in the stories and would like to see more stories with him in the Spider-Man stories developing his characterization besides just making illusions or being occasionally with the Sinister Six or being in the Gauntlet.
    The problem is I think the vast majority of Mysterio's about his special effect abilities and how they can affect Spidey, rather then what makes the character tick. Again if he is so interested in a low profile, why bother being a super villain at all, why does he go out in public with a cape and fishbowl for a head? How is that not screaming for attention? To me, Mysterio can flirt with keeping a low profile, but if he wanted to do that, he could have left the super villain scene for a good a long time ago, he always comes back. Again, there are a million easier ways, both legal and illegal for Mysterio to make money then his usual M.O (do you really think Mysterio can keep out the red with the illusions and robots he incorporates into his schemes), so to me the greed motive does not ring true.

    Edit: Don't get me wrong, I like the Mysterio concept and think he is fun, but with a little stronger writing, he can a great character.
    Last edited by The Overlord; 12-11-2018 at 06:45 PM.

  15. #30
    Astonishing Member whiteshark's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,637

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    The problem is I think the vast majority of Mysterio's about his special effect abilities and how they can affect Spidey, rather then what makes the character tick. Again if he is so interested in a low profile, why bother being a super villain at all, why does he go out in public with a cape and fishbowl for a head? How is that not screaming for attention? To me, Mysterio can flirt with keeping a low profile, but if he wanted to do that, he could have left the super villain scene for a good a long time ago, he always comes back. Again, there are a million easier ways, both legal and illegal for Mysterio to make money then his usual M.O (do you really think Mysterio can keep out the red with the illusions and robots he incorporates into his schemes), so to me the greed motive does not ring true.

    Edit: Don't get me wrong, I like the Mysterio concept and think he is fun, but with a little stronger writing, he can a great character.
    Agreed.Mysterio is a great villain but his characterisation does needs stronger writing.
    Have you read Web of Spider-Man (Vol.2)#4?
    It´s a story by Fred Van Lente about Mysterio past that does show characterisation well writen.Explaining why Quentin was blacklisted by Hollywood for example.
    About Quentin being low profile thats like more what i make of the few apearences of Quentin in Amazing Spider-Man.There are not many stories featuring him before he returned in the story arc that concluded in Amazing Spider-Man#200.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •