Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slim Shady View Post
    So you all think a normal, conservative, blue collar family would teach their son, forget Superman, you think the average of them would raise their son to walk past an immigrant drowning and teach them NOT to to try and help him? Damn.
    You're talking about doing the bare minimum not to be considered scum. We're talking about a guy who's often considered a moral beacon for others he's got to do much better than bare minimum.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PunishedFire View Post
    Fear-mongering rhetoric. The world is safer than it has ever been. Perception is not statistical reality. Unless we're not talking about the western world? But, even then, if we're going to show something like persecution in foreign nations, that is better shown via allegory
    I am talking mainly about the West, where there's no denying that polarization and tribalism have made marginalized communities feel less safe in the face of mobilizing radicalism. Geo-politically, there is newfound instability as well. But I won't deny your overall point that Superman would try to balance different values and perspectives.

I am an honest signal PunishedFire's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    I mean lets not be naive here the conservative leadership in this country has been pushing for bans on Muslim immigration, defends white supremacist, and feels the need to pick on the trans gendered folk. None of that fits who Superman is, I mean come on.
    Let's not be naive, you're outright lying and it's gross.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I think prejudice is in how you read things. It's not a great thing to read, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's what's projected.

The contention to me seems to come from the realistic chance that people from a certain region have different perspectives from so many in the comic reading, forum going demographic. Obviously, being from somewhere doesn't mean you at all have to represent a norm, but it's still a fair assumption. I know a farmboy from Michigan who's quite liberal, but even knowing him as I do it doesn't stop me from believing most people of the same background would seem comparatively conservative.

I don't wish for Superman to be either or, though. I think those sort of politics miss the point of the character. But then, if you follow one ideology and want to line the character up to that, I say go for it.
    The disgusting prejudice being discussed is that "liberal" is the only way to be "morally good". It's absolutely revolting especially in the face of what many modern "liberals" act like (hint: moral authoritarians on the level of the old religious base)

BTW: This part?

"have different perspectives from so many in the comic reading, forum going demographic"

You'd hear different perspectives if they weren't witch-hunted away from forums by ideologically driven moderators who can't stand to have echo chambers threatened.

Authoritarians crave authority, however, so sadly you have a lot of ideologues in positions of (you guessed it) authority.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    I am talking mainly about the West, where there's no denying that polarization and tribalism have made marginalized communities feel less safe in the face of mobilizing radicalism. Geo-politically, there is newfound instability as well. But I won't deny your overall point that Superman would try to balance different values and perspectives.
    See that first quote I quoted?

That's your polarizing fear-mongering leading to people feeling less safe when, statistically, they're safer than ever.

Fear-mongering people to hysterics has a shelf life. There is fatigue involved.

They are becoming fatigued as the monsters in the closet never materialize despite some peoples efforts to falsify these things. As that fatigue runs its course, some people are smelling liars surrounding them.
    Last edited by PunishedFire; 06-06-2018 at 05:12 PM.

You're talking about doing the bare minimum not to be considered scum. We're talking about a guy who's often considered a moral beacon for others he's got to do much better than bare minimum.
    So they're all just a little above scum. Got it.

I know just as many ******* left leaners as I do ******* right leaners. I know just as many good hearted left leaners as I do good hearted right leaners. Some would raise Superman to the right thing, some wouldn't, on both sides. Simple as that.

There's too much close minded generalizing going on in this place for me.

I know just as many ******* left leaners as I do ******* right leaners. I know just as many good hearted left leaners as I do good hearted right leaners. Some would raise Superman to the right thing, some wouldn't, on both sides. Simple as that.

Agreeing with this post very much.

It's exactly why you can get an orphan raised well in Kansas or raised well in Queens like a certainly friendly, neighborhood guy

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Superman is champion of the bare minimum. That may sound pessimistic until you define his actions. For the explanation of his golden age exploits as being rebellious, he beat up wife beaters and gave a hand to orphans and soldiers down on their luck. Anyone should be doing those things regardless of how they vote. That is the great power of his wish fulfillment. If he's beating up Doomsday or holding back lava, it's no more than showing the decency to do good things with the abilities he was and we are given.

Sure you could do another Superman, an ubermensch, with Randian philosophies and what have you, but then that's straying from the point of his conventional upbringing and the inherent altruism that just about every story creator chooses to explore. Those aren't things to separate from him.

The disgusting prejudice being discussed is that "liberal" is the only way to be "morally good". It's absolutely revolting especially in the face of what many modern "liberals" act like (hint: moral authoritarians on the level of the old religious base)
    If we're being fair, we would cite the particular examples brought up. It's not "being morally good" so much as "saving undocumented workers from a racist" or in another Jurgens story, using a character named Dirk Armstrong to lampoon the typical conservative pundit. Superman stories, because they're created by real people with real opinions, does touch those sort of things. I just think, or maybe hope, that many of us can appreciate the idea that it's not the main thrust of the character.

"have different perspectives from so many in the comic reading, forum going demographic"

You'd hear different perspectives if they weren't witch-hunted away from forums by ideologically driven moderators who can't stand to have echo chambers threatened.
    This is pretty pointless as topical commentary. Now that I see this, if that's something you're going to try digging at using the general political flavor of this thread, just let it go.

That doesn't sound quite like the implication. If someone says, "I don't abuse my children" they're not a little or a lot above a terrible parent, they're just not a terrible parent in that way period. Again I say Superman is best served by common ground heroics.

Amazing Member

It's quite frightening that the media and academia have led an ever increasing number of individuals to believe that people who disagree with them politically are not simply of a different opinion or view on things, but are outright evil or immoral. Most people are good, decent people; whichever side of the political spectrum they fall on. Media outlets, for the sake of ratings, have made it their mission to highlight the radical fringes of both sides. However, the left has moved so far left in the past half decade, and have such a stranglehold on american institutions, that demonizing conservative viewpoints has become acceptably mainstream. If such a thread were made from the opposite political viewpoint, it would immediately be deemed trolling and removed. Do I care that this thread exists? Not particularly, as it only reflects an ignorance that wouldn't be erased by censoring it. It's important to recognize that there is a double standard, however.

Quote Originally Posted by micahbevans88 View Post
    It's quite frightening that the media and academia have led an ever increasing number of individuals to believe that people who disagree with them politically are not simply of a different opinion or view on things, but are outright evil or immoral. Most people are good, decent people; whichever side of the political spectrum they fall on. Media outlets, for the sake of ratings, have made it their mission to highlight the radical fringes of both sides. However, the left has moved so far left in the past half decade, and have such a stranglehold on american institutions, that demonizing conservative viewpoints has become acceptably mainstream. If such a thread were made from the opposite political viewpoint, it would immediately be deemed trolling and removed. Do I care that this thread exists? Not particularly, as it only reflects an ignorance that wouldn't be erased by censoring it. It's important to recognize that there is a double standard, however.
    Absolutely agree on every point.

BANNED

I would also love to hear this.

There are some unbelievably ignorant statements in this thread that, if reversed, would ABSOLUTELY get people in trouble with Mods I reckon.

The disgusting hate and prejudice some people are showing is enlightening. Really goes to show how totally out of touch some people are.

BTW, stephens2177 your avatar is fire. Can you share the source/artist?
    So you all think a normal, conservative, blue collar family would teach their son, forget Superman, you think the average of them would raise their son to walk past an immigrant drowning and teach them NOT to to try and help him? Damn.
    Let's not be naive, you're outright lying and it's gross.

Authoritarians crave authority, however, so sadly you have a lot of ideologues in positions of (you guessed it) authority.

See that first quote I quoted?

That's your polarizing fear-mongering leading to people feeling less safe when, statistically, they're safer than ever.

Fear-mongering people to hysterics has a shelf life. There is fatigue involved.

They are becoming fatigued as the monsters in the closet never materialize despite some peoples efforts to falsify these things. As that fatigue runs its course, some people are smelling liars surrounding them.

Agreeing with this post very much.

It's exactly why you can get an orphan raised well in Kansas or raised well in Queens like a certainly friendly, neighborhood guy
    Quote Originally Posted by micahbevans88 View Post
    Absolutely agree on every point.
    Damn,common sense on a forum,who would have thought you could read it on one.

Btw be careful,you will get banned if you push your views to far,I think I'm on my last life here myself.

I'm looking for the pic punishedfire,it had tim drake and his 3 looms on the other side,I just cropped it for Kon of course,I'll keep looking.

Fantastic Member

I legitimately can't believe some of the replies in this thread, or the implication of the thread itself, on a Superman forum no less.

The level of "conservatives are bad people" brainwashing is staggering. Being a liberal or conservative, in itself, doesn't make you a good/bad person.

Stop watching TV and go talk to some people outside. You'll see that the vast majority of them are good, kind, helpful people no matter what side of the political spectrum they are on.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Yeah, a rant and its responses from earlier today were deleted. Point taken. Sorry about that whole benefit of a doubt thing, it's just that I kept thinking about how the average age here is likely well above the PG 13 stamp and figured people could make a basic point, even if biased, without hopping the rails.