Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    While I like a hard copy of an issue it's just way less convenient than online.
    Funny enough, I have everything digital at home (video games, movies, music,...), I even have a Kindle for books, but I have yet to find a good way to read digital comics. I guess the format doesn't work for me...

OFF TOPIC - From your signature: My daughter and I started reading the new Domino series, we love it.

All-New Member

Just a limited perspective from a former fan of decades ago, who is getting back into the hobby.

A month ago I was talking with a friend when the topic cam up. She had never read a comic in her life. One thing led to another and we started doing a podcast based on introducing a new people to the medium. I figured that she would be a more...critical...voice and that would be the fun. Instead, she's found comics that she really loves, and even has a favorite writer. Where, at first, it felt like a chore to her, now is something she does even when we're not reviewing a book for the show.

So, I don't think it's a problem (mostly) wit the content. Far more variety for her today than if she had been riding bikes with me as a kid to the nearest spinner rack.

I think there are barriers to entry that the industry needs to address.

First, let's look at what retailers can do different. In preparation, we visited four different comic shops. She would go up and ask for recommendations. Most of the shops would be happy to push things in her hands, but without any regard to what she might like to read. Best choice presented to her was Saga, but if you just hand a new person the latest issue, how is that a jumping on point? The other issue is the way the shops are set up. Regular book stores have different sections of interest. Why not comics? Also, why not have little signs saying "hey, this issue is a great jumping on point!". So better arranged stores with a thrust on customer service might help.

Also, shops really need to be more kid friendly. I had this problem ten years ago when my son was at the age where you can catch the bug. Have a place in the store where the kid can sit and browse and find interests while the parent shops.

Next, there really is a problem with the publishers. If I see a number one issue of a new series, it would be great if I could read it and have a clue what's going on. Who is this character? What's his or her story? What is the character motivation? If I spend five bucks for a book, will I get an actual story out of it? (Not usually). If you need to have wikipedia open to understand a book, it could probably use some editing. The editorial days of Jim Shooter could hold some lessons to the editors of today. If your writer doesn't make it clear, then have them rewrite it.

Final issue is value for entertainment. It takes me less time to read a comic than it does to drink a beer. What's a better buy for my money? How about video games? Novels? Movies?

So, I guess the answer of what to do is "everything". Get new readers. Make retail more attractive. Manage price. Better editing on books. Have books for the next generation. Have books for the current generation. Have books for everybody.

G. Bob