Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gbob View Post

...Final issue is value for entertainment. It takes me less time to read a comic than it does to drink a beer. What's a better buy for my money? How about video games? Novels? Movies?
    I'd rather spend my $$$/time with new musical equipment, firearms & beekeeping. During the winter, I dabble more with tabletop games/WH40k painting.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    I don't think that comics are dying, but changing, for good and bad.

They are doing both but without the standard comic format, there is no industry

Quote Originally Posted by mrbrklyn View Post
    They are doing both but without the standard comic format, there is no industry
    What is the standard comic format?

You're making a huge assumption there. The Swedish comics market looks entirely different, both in distribution and in format, to the American one. And the Japanese is entirely different. And webcomics take wholly another tack.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    What is the standard comic format?

You're making a huge assumption there. The Swedish comics market looks entirely different, both in distribution and in format, to the American one. And the Japanese is entirely different. And webcomics take wholly another tack.
    It is a folded booklet with three staples in it sold at Tijuana bible shops and otherwise retailed around the globe. You asked, so I am responding. FWIW, glad I don't live in Sweden or Japan... particular Sweden which is a country roughly the size of nyc. I only mention this because it is held up as some example of what other countries and cultures should be like....(in this case about comics) but not for me.
    Last edited by mrbrklyn; 10-19-2018 at 07:51 PM.

BANNED

And webcomics take wholly another tack.
    IMO, web comics are not comic books at all. You can't trade them, collect them, resell them and they have no inherent value. It is like web baseball cards or web images of Rembrandt. They are nice but not the real thing. Without the standard form, the business is dead, and the art form is dead. It is already a niche market.

Fantastic Member

it's not exactly dying but they might need to switch to a new format.
    Floppies cant support a $4 and $5 market and Marvel is pushing real hard to make $5 the norm for comics, that's simply insnane.

honestly going to a weekly/monthly anthology title like manga magazines in japan may be a better idea.
    DC: Action Comics, Batman, Batman/Superman, Batman and Robin, Batman Off World, Detective Comics, Flash, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, JG: Flash, JL vs. Godzilla, JSA, Nightwing, Shazam, Superman, Titans, Beast World

Marvel: Amazing Spider-Man, Fall of the House of X, Fantastic Four, Resurrection of Magneto, Spectacular Spider-Men, Ultimate Spider-Man, WolverineL Madripoor Knights, X-Men

It is a folded booklet with three staples in it sold at Tijuana bible shops and other retailed around the globe. You asked, so I am responding. FWIW, glad I don't live in Sweden or Japan... particular Sweden which is a country roughly the size of nyc. I only mention this because it is held up as some example of what other countries and cultures should be like....(in this case about comics) but not for me.
    Who said something about better, or emulation?

The way comics are sold in the USA is a historical quirk based on internal and external market factors, political interventions (or fear of political interventions), cultural biases, personal preferences, and sheer chance. Just as it is in Sweden or Japan.

The most likely cause for the American comics industry to disappear would be that it refused to change.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DrewHLMW View Post
    it's not exactly dying but they might need to switch to a new format.
    Floppies cant support a $4 and $5 market and Marvel is pushing real hard to make $5 the norm for comics, that's simply insnane.

honestly going to a weekly/monthly anthology title like manga magazines in japan may be a better idea.
    An anthology might be a good idea and they started out with that format, and it changed over time to a single story in a single issue.

BANNED

Who said something about better, or emulation?

The way comics are sold in the USA is a historical quirk based on internal and external market factors, political interventions (or fear of political interventions), cultural biases, personal preferences, and sheer chance. Just as it is in Sweden or Japan.

The most likely cause for the American comics industry to disappear would be that it refused to change.
    well, it has changed quite dramatically. These are now glossy magazines. I think my main concern is access. Access has always been the stranglehold on comics and it continues to be so. The subscription model was nearly 500K strong for a large number of golden age titles. That is probably shot as well as they handed that off the to Local Comics Shops and there pull lists.

IMO, web comics are not comic books at all. You can't trade them, collect them, resell them and they have no inherent value. It is like web baseball cards or web images of Rembrandt. They are nice but not the real thing. Without the standard form, the business is dead, and the art form is dead. It is already a niche market.
    That's like saying that digital music isn't really music - or Netflix isn't really TV.

I love physical comics and am not going digital any time soon, but there's a very real chance that going digital will be necessary for the industry to survive.

Astonishing Member

I am going to say that if the comic book industry stood the competition of Electronic Video Games,VHS Cartoons,DVD Cartoons,Anime,whatever trends of specific years as Pokémon,Magic the Gathering in many decades it´s not now that the comic book industry will not survive.
    Especially now with the super heroes movies being the most popular they ever had been.

monthly books lost me when marvel switched to glossy stock. before it was reserved to graphic novels. i worked a lot as a teenager and had a huge pull list. as far as i remember, they doubled prices. mhhh, maybe not, but it was a significant increase. i also loved vailiant at the time which was also more expensive, and when marvel prices exploded, i decided motorbikes and girls were a better way to spend my money.
    i still pick up something here and there, but i am not even close to my the amounts of my old pull list.

imho marvel universe is dead. everything after onslaught is "what if.." in my personal canon. can´t milk the cow forever. good things need to have an end
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

From comichorn

Comic-book Title: Return of Wolverine
    Issue: 1
    Price On sale: $4.99
    Publisher: Marvel
    Est. units: 260,410

If an issue of Wolverine can sell this many copies, you shouldn't worry about comics being a dying industry. Sales will drop and rise as the business keeps running, but it won't die.
    Last edited by Speed Force League Unlimited; 10-19-2018 at 03:23 AM.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    That's like saying that digital music isn't really music -

It is not like saying that at all. It is completely unrelated.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    From comichorn

Comic-book Title: Return of Wolverine
    Issue: 1
    Price On sale: $4.99
    Publisher: Marvel
    Est. units: 260,410

If an issue of Wolverine can sell this many copies, you shouldn't worry about comics being a dying industry. Sales will drop and rise as the business keeps running, but it won't die.
    That is books ordered.

The question is how many got bought at that price VERSUS a bin sale or warehouse sale.

I see that number and guess what? That is a book I will NOT buy at cover price. Because I KNOW someone will have it WAY cheaper if I wait and that includes Ebay, used book stores and even some comic book stores.

Books like that pack bins way too much than the constantly targeted books like Moon Girl or Ms Marvel. While it might sell HALF of that 260K-it will still leave a large unsold group.

I went to a Warehouse sale for Half Price books today-guess what current DC rebirth books were there in bulk-Green Lantern & Hal Jordan & TGLC. And from what I understand they came from a comic book store trying to get rid of access stock and they happen to be the most recent series there. ANd NOBODY was touching them.