Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Make Carey's run on adjectiveless / Legacy

I searched for such a thread but couldn't find any, so correct me if there is one already.

I'm looking to complete gaps in my collection of good X-runs, and Carey's run has been relegated on my part because I was out of the comics game during much of the period in which it was originally published. I am all caught up with the major X-overs which took place - Messiah CompleX, Second Coming; but I haven't read / don't own the rest.

I've read that its quite good here and there, but I'd appreciate input from the hardcore fans that post here. How does it measure up as a complete run?

Not looking for comparisons, just opinions on how well it holds up. Don't want to derail with arguments on which run is better please.

So with that in mind, I look forward to opinions. Thanks in advance.

Is quite liked around here, especially for Rogue fans, aothougth the Rogneto relationship is a controversial topic. So people have come so far to call it the best X-Writer after Claremont. For me it didn't live up to the hype personally, even if it wasn't bad, i just think that my expectations were too hight, besides if has an awfull retcon to Wolverine backstory that just turn him into a worse characther (but to be fair he wasn't solely responsible for that). Either is well written for the most part and he did try to take some risk with certain characthers (as much as he could), Age of X is proably the peak of his run.

Edit:Come to think about it, you could argue that Legacy was basically an stealth solo title for Rogue.
    Last edited by TheCape; 07-29-2018 at 05:29 PM.

Even if you don't fully agree with his choices it's still a very solid run.

Very good, except for Rogneto.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Astonishing Member

It was very good
    It begins as a Charles solo, and it ends as a Rogue solo.

It had many good stories imo. The Danger story, or the Emplate story.
    XMen Legacy was better than Uncanny XMen during the Utopia period.

X-Men - very very good

X-Men Legacy (Regenesis)- not so very good
    Last edited by cc008; 07-29-2018 at 05:44 PM.

BANNED

Adjectiveless and Xavier Legacy were amazing, but Rogue Legacy was awful because every arc was about how flawless Rogue was and every character just existed to be in love with her, praise her or have their powers taken by her to then be explained how to use them well.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    Adjectiveless and Xavier Legacy were amazing, but Rogue Legacy was awful because every arc was about how flawless Rogue was and every character just existed to be in love with her, praise her or have their powers taken by her to then be explained how to use them well.
    I feel like Gage's run on Legacy was when the book really went off the rails in that regard

Astonishing Member

He didn't help any in that regard, but it still started in Carey's run. I think AoX was the best story in his legacy run because it was a crossover and he had to work with another writer and other stories and not just do what he wanted.

The first 16 issues of his X-Men run are really one of my favorite team books of all time - an all around great, fast paced book with an unusual and exciting selection of characters. Xavier Legacy is great even if you aren't a fan of the character (like me), just a really well told character study. Rogue Legacy isn't as good as the rest like people have said, but there's still some pretty good stories in there, like the Utopia/Necrosha tie-ins and Age of X.

I really do like his writing style. I could’ve gone without the extreme Rogue focus, however, he gave Frenzy, an underused great character with a lot of great potential......I’d love for him to return.
    Favorite Characters: Wolfsbane, Storm, Psylcoke, Beast, Feral, Tempo, Nightcrawler, Quicksilver

Favorite Titles: X-Men Red, Legion of X, Marauders, Hellions

Really do wish he'd come back to Marvel though. I miss when Marvel had more talented writers than you could count on one hand. And actually enjoyable X-books. Everything recent has either been barely satisfactory or downright awful.
    Last edited by KurtW95; 07-29-2018 at 08:27 PM.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

Casey's the best X-Men writer since Claremont. 'Nuff said. It's not perfect, as the transition in Legacy from Xavier to Rogue was a little rough, but it recovered quickly. Heck, No More Humans was fabulous, too, and that centered around Raze as a villain. Freaking Raze.

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    I think AoX was the best story in his legacy run because it was a crossover and he had to work with another writer and other stories and not just do what he wanted.
    If I recall correctly, while Age of X was spread over Legacy and New Mutants, I think Carey wrote the whole thing. Like how Fraction wrote all of Utopia even though it crossed over with Dark Avengers.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

eta: more double posting on this board
    Last edited by Havok83; 07-29-2018 at 09:52 PM.

His X-men was pretty solid. Legacy was alright but I much preferred his earlier material

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    He didn't help any in that regard, but it still started in Carey's run. I think AoX was the best story in his legacy run because it was a crossover and he had to work with another writer and other stories and not just do what he wanted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Robards, Comic Fan View Post
    If I recall correctly, while Age of X was spread over Legacy and New Mutants, I think Carey wrote the whole thing. Like how Fraction wrote all of Utopia even though it crossed over with Dark Avengers.
    Yes and no, Carey was the sole writer of the main portion of Age of X. He took over New Mutants in between Zeb Wells and Dan Abnett's runs. However there was a tie-in mini. AoX: Universes, which was written by Spurrier