Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
We're not talking about TLJ in a vacuum. We're talking about TLJ and it's relationship to Solo. At the BO, TLJ made bank. However, toy sales, merchandise and home video sales were low in comparison to TFA and RO. Solo's domestic and foreign performance demonstrates the general audience wasn't charmed by what Solo offered either. People have made comparison to Solo having a worse performance than JL. Now it seems Solo might be a bigger flop than John Carter.

I just don't think Solo lost the bulk of the general audience all by itself.
I think there were multiple factors -- timing, the budget that went over, etc. -- into what happened.

I guess that's fair. However, I do think TLJ left a bad taste in people's mouths. There was no excitement for yet another Star Wars film 6 months out. Not in the same way the MCU can release 2-3 movies within months of each other and they all find success.
I think Marvel did a better job marketing their stuff. I mean, we knew about Solo's troubled production long before any of the other details.

I wasn't only referring to angry fans. Solo lost the general audience domestically and overseas too. People really didn't care for what they saw and didn't bother coming back or telling their friends.
To be fair, I don't think Solo was a movie that a lot of people wanted and I think the execution was lacking (it really felt like there was a checklist the filmmakers were going through). I don't think we need to invoke TLJ hate to explain why the movie didn't click; I'm sure it was a factor for some people, but, as noted before, there's good reason to believe that they're not the majority.