Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Default Kelly Marie Tran deletes Instagram posts after harassment from Star Wars "fans".

Can we please not be this way, people!:

https://www.cbr.com/kelly-marie-tran...er-harassment/
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Can we please not be this way, people!:

https://www.cbr.com/kelly-marie-tran...er-harassment/
    sigh.

Even if you think the film was terrible Kelly Marie Tran isn't responsible for what you see on screen.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Sad thing is I'll bet the extreme majority of those 'fans' are picked on all the time (I mean, if they have nothing else better to do than to put so much time and effort on to something they don't like, they obviously don't have much of a life).

People never take a step back and try to place themselves in that other person's shoes.

Sorry to see that Tran is having to deal with this crap. Personally, I really liked her work in the movie.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

The fans were hateful to Jake Lloyd after TPM too.

Lest we not forget the vitriol Lucas got for the PT and one of the reasons he retired and sold Star Wars off when he did.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    The fans were hateful to Jake Lloyd after TPM too.
    The adult fanboys weren't going after Jake. They might be bashing him on message boards, but he was bullied very badly at school. That's not due to adult fans, that's was his classmates.

The media also wasn't very kind to him. Before TPM came out, there was a Newsweek article saying Jake couldn't act and called him Mannequin Skywalker. Ron Howard actually defended Jake:
    https://nerdist.com/ron-howard-defen...hanton-menace/

From what I recall back then, most fans recognized that Lucas was at fault for his script and directing, not Jake himself. Releasing the casting footage showing the other potential Anakins didn't really help Jake's case that he was even right for the role - the two other boys had better auditions. Unless Jake was going online reading comments, that wasn't going to impact him as much as his classmates teasing him at school.
    Last edited by ClanAskani; 06-05-2018 at 09:07 PM.

Its a disgrace.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ClanAskani View Post
    The adult fanboys weren't going after Jake. They might be bashing him on message boards, but he was bullied very badly at school. That's not due to adult fans, that's was his classmates.

The media also wasn't very kind to him. Before TPM came out, there was a Newsweek article saying Jake couldn't act and called him Mannequin Skywalker. Ron Howard actually defended Jake:
    https://nerdist.com/ron-howard-defen...hanton-menace/

From what I recall back then, most fans recognized that Lucas was at fault for his script and directing, not Jake himself. Releasing the casting footage showing the other potential Anakins didn't really help Jake's case that he was even right for the role - the two other boys had better auditions. Unless Jake was going online reading comments, that wasn't going to impact him as much as his classmates teasing him at school.
    Bullying is bullying. No matter where it comes from.

Fans at conventions and people at his school gave this poor kid hell. Child actors normally get a bad rep for the TV and movies they do, but Lloyd had the misfortune of catching the toxic vitriol from the Star Wars community.

Daisy Ridley also left Instagram and social media, after TFA came out. Comments about her acting skills and racist comments about John Boyega on her photos.

Hayden Christiansen quit acting for the most part too. Mostly do to the flamming comments he got from fans for playing Anakin in the prequels.

Add in the "George Lucas raped my childhood" whiners and "The People vs George Lucas" documentary crowd. What happened to KMT, Kathleen Kennedy and Rian Johnson is par for the course by now.

Ultimate Member

Fans at conventions and people at his school gave this poor kid hell. Child actors normally get a bad rep for the TV and movies they do, but Lloyd had the misfortune of catching the toxic vitriol from the Star Wars community.

Daisy Ridley also left Instagram and social media, after TFA came out. Comments about her acting skills and racist comments about John Boyega on her photos.

Hayden Christiansen quit acting for the most part too. Mostly do to the flamming comments he got from fans for playing Anakin in the prequels.

Add in the "George Lucas raped my childhood" whiners and "The People vs George Lucas" documentary crowd. What happened to KMT, Kathleen Kennedy and Rian Johnson is par for the course by now.
    Yeah, there's always been a toxicity in the Star Wars fan base. It's even part of what made Lucas give up the whole thing.

Nowadays, it has an added dosage of racism, i mean some lunactics actually changed Kelly Marie Tran's name to Ching Chong something on Wookiepedia.

She wasn't that great in the movie but she doesn't deserve this....

Star Wars fans are not to blame for the bullying of Jake Lloyd. He's admitted it was his classmates - not fans online bullying him. He went to his first convention years later where fans were nice to him.

Daisy left Instagram because of a backlash due to her posts about gun control. That wasn't due to Star Wars fans - it was due to conservatives who dislike celebrities from other countries commenting about US politics and suggesting their rights be taken away.

What pisses me off about all of this is Star Wars fans get blamed for being terrible when they aren't to blame for these situations.

Quote Originally Posted by ClanAskani View Post
    What pisses me off about all of this is Star Wars fans get blamed for being terrible when they aren't to blame for these situations.
    But many self-proclaimed Star Wars fans can be blamed for the harassment of Kelly Marie Tran.

iMan 42s

Star Wars fans can be blamed for this sort of thing because aside from your racist crowd who is going to do it anyways, who does that leave? Her most high-profile work was The Last Jedi which a segment of the Star Wars fan-base got into a snit over. Are they really doing it for her work on College Humor, Discount fitness or Fall into me?

Sure you have to separate the bad eggs from the good but the Star Wars fan-base has a history of this sort of thing. Or did we all forget about Jake Llyod? Who among bullying classmates and douchebags online who drove that kid insane. Star Wars fans just can't leave well enough alone.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I wonder how many of these people actually are Star Wars fans and how many of them just harassed her because some stupid message board told them to. What do you want to bet the majority of these idiots never even saw the movie? They ought to put a trans WOC as the main character in the next film just to spite these idiots!
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    But many self-proclaimed Star Wars fans can be blamed for the harassment of Kelly Marie Tran.
    Which is inexcusable. The only idiots posting about doing this is 4Chan, and I don't think anyone believes they represent all Star Wars fans.

I'm not on Instagram, so I don't know what people were posting on Kelly's Instagram posts. But this article from Polygon https://www.polygon.com/2018/6/5/174...aves-instagram has examples of what gets posted on the Official Star Wars Twitter and Facebook pages when anything with Rose is posted. The writer of the Polygon article is calling fans who posted that Rose is pointless and worse than Jar Jar on a thread about her character harassment of Kelly.

I think the media wants to paint Star Wars fans like the Ghostbuster fans and label them as sexist, racist a-holes. But it seems like a very small group of people who do not represent all Star Wars fans. The media then keeps bringing up Daisy, which isn't related to Star Wars fans, and about the backlash about John Boyega as a Stormtrooper which was due in part to some fans thinking all Stormtroopers should clones and Maori.
    Last edited by ClanAskani; 06-06-2018 at 11:21 AM.