Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    We're not talking about TLJ in a vacuum. We're talking about TLJ and it's relationship to Solo. At the BO, TLJ made bank. However, toy sales, merchandise and home video sales were low in comparison to TFA and RO. Solo's domestic and foreign performance demonstrates the general audience wasn't charmed by what Solo offered either. People have made comparison to Solo having a worse performance than JL. Now it seems Solo might be a bigger flop than John Carter.

I just don't think Solo lost the bulk of the general audience all by itself.
    I think there were multiple factors -- timing, the budget that went over, etc. -- into what happened.

I guess that's fair. However, I do think TLJ left a bad taste in people's mouths. There was no excitement for yet another Star Wars film 6 months out. Not in the same way the MCU can release 2-3 movies within months of each other and they all find success.
    I think Marvel did a better job marketing their stuff. I mean, we knew about Solo's troubled production long before any of the other details.

I wasn't only referring to angry fans. Solo lost the general audience domestically and overseas too. People really didn't care for what they saw and didn't bother coming back or telling their friends.
    To be fair, I don't think Solo was a movie that a lot of people wanted and I think the execution was lacking (it really felt like there was a checklist the filmmakers were going through). I don't think we need to invoke TLJ hate to explain why the movie didn't click; I'm sure it was a factor for some people, but, as noted before, there's good reason to believe that they're not the majority.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I think there were multiple factors -- timing, the budget that went over, etc. -- into what happened.

I think Marvel did a better job marketing their stuff. I mean, we knew about Solo's troubled production long before any of the other details.

To be fair, I don't think Solo was a movie that a lot of people wanted and I think the execution was lacking (it really felt like there was a checklist the filmmakers were going through). I don't think we need to invoke TLJ hate to explain why the movie didn't click; I'm sure it was a factor for some people, but, as noted before, there's good reason to believe that they're not the majority.
    Fair enough, mate.

With the current behind the scenes drama at Lucasfilm (head of the studio and various writers presumably being shown the door), Solo under performing, KMT leaving social media (no official reason but presumably because of harassment), and Star Wars outlets trying to put a spin on what's happening. It definitely feels like Revenge of the Nerds or Attack of the Fans or the Fandom Menace out there.

Haha

Fair enough, mate.

With the current behind the scenes drama at Lucasfilm (head of the studio and various writers presumably being shown the door), Solo under performing, KMT leaving social media (no official reason but presumably because of harassment), and Star Wars outlets trying to put a spin on what's happening. It definitely feels like Revenge of the Nerds or Attack of the Fans or the Fandom Menace out there.

Haha
    I'm gong with the Fandom Menace - just because it sounds a lot like a certain film.

Fair enough, mate.

Haha
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I'm gong with the Fandom Menace - just because it sounds a lot like a certain film.
    I hope that things stabilize and under normal circumstances, I think that could happen. Every studio makes the occasional clunker (and, excusing the money loss, I'd say that a movie like Solo that was just simply "good" instead of "excellent" is the best kind of "clunker" to have to deal with). No fanbase can be 100% pleased every time. As we saw with the prequels, Star Wars can make not-so-good and/or fan controversial movies and the brand will survive and be able to make stuff down the line that is well-received.

However, with the way that social media has become such a mic for people who want to speak their minds and you get fanbase factions that become so militant that the've either said or indicate that they're going to harass and bully and bellyache until the Powers That Be bow to their whims, I'm not sure we're ever going to get the calm-down chance to let the clocks reset and move forward. Heck, a week ago, fans were trying to raise funds to get TLJ remade, despite the fact that they're still whining over something that's in the past and no longer up for debate, so to speak.

Disney/LucasFilm might not cave in, but I wonder if fandom, at least for Star Wars, has been broken beyond repair; it seems impossible now to live and let live about preferences within the franchise and find unity that we all like at least aspects of the same franchise. (I mean, the Trekkie community has gotten some bad apples as of late, but at the very least, it seems like you can say that you don't like the Abrams-verse movies, Discovery, The Original Series, or whatever, and you'll still be welcomed as a fellow fan. Why can't we have that in other franchises, instead of this "you're with me on my side or we're enemies"?)
    Last edited by WebLurker; 06-30-2018 at 08:11 PM.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)