Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Extraordinary Member

Way back in one of the Defender's comics [#100] it was established the Mephisto and Satannish are lesser manisfestations of the true Satan.

If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Spectacular Member

In Wolverine Goes to Hell, the Devil is a giant purple demon with six wings.

He appears in a smaller version in Fear Itself and Mephisto calls him Marduk Kurios and Daimon’s father.

In Ghost Rider, “Lucifer” is a human-sized red demon.

In Chaos War, he is called the Devil with All of Hell’s Fire and he has a reconciliation with Daimon.

In the 90’s HellStorm series , they said that he was given the name Marduk Kurios by the Sumerians, and that he represents the amoral Wildness of Life.

In a 90’s Satana (Daimon’s sister) special by Chris Claremont, the N’Garai reveal to her that her dad was a fallen angel who was the general of Heaven’s Army who fought against them (hence, the title “LightBringer”)
    Last edited by JDC001; 06-06-2018 at 05:47 AM.

Fantastic Member Chainsaw Vigilante's Avatar

Supposedly all the demon lords and other rulers of the dark realms and the realms themselves (from Mephisto to Nightmare to Dormammu and the Faltine to Shuma Gorath) were all one entity and one realm and that realm splintered off into scores of other realms and entities.

This is alluded to a bunch of times, but most notably in the Amanda Sefton Magik miniseries where Magik commissioned a magical computer that gathered all magical data and it accessed a sentient dark force that tied together all the dark magic of all the realms and it began absorbing all the splinter realms and their lords back into one entity, but the computer was destroyed and stopped the process and reversed it.

In this case that previous entity before it splintered and that single realm was Marvel's one true hell and one true devil/Satan. As is there is a Marvel Lucifer that is a demon (and I'm not talking about Marduk Kurios or Mephisto or any others, but an actual demon lord called Lucifer), but in actuality the Biblical Lucifer was not the devil/original fallen angel, much like the snake in the Garden of Eden was not supposed to be the devil either, but those stories just got intertwined over the years, so even if a demon lord actually went by Lucifer and it wasn't just a guise for another demon (like Marduk Kurios going by Satan) it wouldn't mean that demon was the one true devil/Satan if one goes by the strict Biblical definition.

Now this! This is a very interesting, and very, very confusing and frustrating piece of Marvel continuity to converse about. = )

Most of the basics have already been mentioned - except of course the fact that sometimes writers will introduce what THEY see as a new, continuity-free and generic version of "Satan" or "the Devil", since, even if they have done their homework, they find that all the different high-level demons and stories with Satan in Marvel continuity are all so full of baggage and complicated, that they just want to do their own, purposefully generic thing. I believe Jason Aaron mentioned him writing a "simplified combined Satan" in his run on Wolverine? I.e he was supposed to be a mix of different versions, so he could reference multiple stories or some such, while making the story still have simple continuity.

THIS Ghost Rider story, from the Civil War -era, is another example of this - Daniel Way did his own, new (kind of...) generic version of Satan, his version was more inspired by the "Darkness" from the movie "Legend" - and Javier Saltares certainly made him look like it!

https://www.amazon.com/Ghost-Rider-1.../dp/B000HF3GEK

On another note... by my count, there are actually NINE, at the very least, different versions of the Devil in Marvel! A fitting, and inspiring number...

1 Mephisto,
    2 Satannish,
    3 Marduk Kurios,
    4 Thog,
    5 Beelzeboul,
    6 Asmodeus ,
    7 Satan,
    8 Olivuron( Olivier Stoker) ,
    9 Murray? Zarathos? (former)

Inspired by the number, I actually did a small exercise with a synopsis I was working on, yeaaars ago - was going to be a fan-comic entitled: "The Nine-Toothed Maw!" about how the different Hell-Lords momentarily work together to form into one single, supreme hell-entity - a sort of deformed, giant malevolent mouth.

Incredible Member

Reserved for images once I figure it out lol
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Punjabi_Hitman; 06-06-2018 at 05:01 PM.

all of them need to be defeated. More heroes of faith need to be depicted.

Quote Originally Posted by L.R Johansson View Post
    Now this! This is a very interesting, and very, very confusing and frustrating piece of Marvel continuity to converse about. = )

Most of the basics have already been mentioned - except of course the fact that sometimes writers will introduce what THEY see as a new, continuity-free and generic version of "Satan" or "the Devil", since, even if they have done their homework, they find that all the different high-level demons and stories with Satan in Marvel continuity are all so full of baggage and complicated, that they just want to do their own, purposefully generic thing. I believe Jason Aaron mentioned him writing a "simplified combined Satan" in his run on Wolverine? I.e he was supposed to be a mix of different versions, so he could reference multiple stories or some such, while making the story still have simple continuity.

THIS Ghost Rider story, from the Civil War -era, is another example of this - Daniel Way did his own, new (kind of...) generic version of Satan, his version was more inspired by the "Darkness" from the movie "Legend" - and Javier Saltares certainly made him look like it!

https://www.amazon.com/Ghost-Rider-1.../dp/B000HF3GEK

On another note... by my count, there are actually NINE, at the very least, different versions of the Devil in Marvel! A fitting, and inspiring number...

1 Mephisto,
    2 Satannish,
    3 Marduk Kurios,
    4 Thog,
    5 Beelzeboul,
    6 Asmodeus ,
    7 Satan,
    8 Olivuron( Olivier Stoker) ,
    9 Murray? Zarathos? (former)

Inspired by the number, I actually did a small exercise with a synopsis I was working on, yeaaars ago - was going to be a fan-comic entitled: "The Nine-Toothed Maw!" about how the different Hell-Lords momentarily work together to form into one single, supreme hell-entity - a sort of deformed, giant malevolent mouth.
    Who is Murray? That one doesn't ring a bell.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Who is Murray? That one doesn't ring a bell.
    I've been trying to find out too. The closest I've gotten is that perhaps he was mentioned in the Punisher supernatural series?

He was mentioned in the last issue of the supernatual Punisher series.

He's mentioned as being one of the "big guys" along with Mephisto, Sattanish, Satan, and Lucifer.

Incredible Member

So in Spirits of Vengeance, here his minion calls him “Lord Marduk” and he says his children are st the door.
    Attachment 66765

Then the last panel here he says he used to go by the name Lucifer when he was rebelling against heaven. He continues talking about the covenant between heaven and hell.
    Attachment 66766

Why are the images so tiny?
    Last edited by Punjabi_Hitman; 06-07-2018 at 01:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    More heroes of faith need to be depicted.
    An interesting note - considering the subject matter, you of course mean the Christian faith - there are multiple heroes of faith, not all of them christian though.

Ms Marvel, Sabrah, Arabian Knight, Moon Knight, Shaman, Talisman, Shang-Chi, Storm, Magma - are some examples, sometimes of GREAT devotion to their faith, but none of them to the religion you yourself ascribe by.

Of the devoted Christian heroes, there aren't that many, among Marvel - many I would say are Christian at least on paper, but do not have the kind of devotion which we are talking about here - Daredevil, Nightcrawler and Wolfsbane are the ones off the top of my head - there are others though, I find, after digging on this site:

http://www.adherents.com/lit/comics/...ligion.html#Me

Some of the listings need to be taken with a grain of salt, since many heroes are only christian on paper - like what is the case with MANY christians in the real world - my entire family is like that, and that's the way I was raised, until I decided to be an Atheist as an adult.

Still, it's an interesting hook for a hero and a book! A devout christian, fightings demons - perhaps some have simply figured it's a bit TOO simple, too on the nose? Still, it's a book worth doing! = )

I do wonder though... what sort of a character would be the most interesting to create, if it was to be a new hero...? What version of Christianity? What kind of powers? What would fit the themes? Would make for an interesting new topic too!