Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Nightwing #45 Preview/Discussion

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Interesting.

He doesn't sound as old now, because all the technology avoidance has been attributed to him being cautious.

The art makes him looks old though. I didn't realize it last time, but It's very similar to JRJR.

This wasn't bad, it kept my interest. Dick refusing to use a cell phone is still silly as all hell though. Thats being said i wasn't sure what to make of the art before, thought it would grow on me but its not. I don't like it. Or more appropriate i guess is that i don't like it on this title. Dick looks old fashion, and Bludhaven looks dated and boring. This story even is about modern technology but the art just doesn't really match.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 06-06-2018 at 12:24 PM.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

I was very interested to see the villain as Babs, but glad that it was resolved by the end of the issue. Can't wait to see them ACTUALLY team up. And the art does have a very JRJR feeling to it - but without some of the sloppiness I feel he's gotten into recently. Still really glad I jumped on for this run with Percy.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

BANNED

Art looks like a homage to Klaus Jansen.

Percy has been solid so far. Kind of digging the direction.

Incredible Member

I like the new direction and Percy writing the character. Book has a very Noir vibe to it. I’m also loving the art.

This is going to give me anxiety. *burns computer*

Thought the chapter was okay. Kind of the same as the previous issue with the tech stuff being a bit too on the nose, but it was handled a little better in this issue. I'm still just holding out to see how this will expand beyond Bludhaven. I still don't mind Percy's voice for Dick outside of the tech stuff he is doing with him, but his general voice for the character I still think is good. He has a fairly good balance between being light and serious. I still like the art despite it making Dick look even more Daredevil-lite, but once you accept they obviously want to make Dick Daredevil it becomes more fitting. All the little detail in it is quite good.

One thing that has been stuck in my mind for a bit is what Percy plans on doing with Babs. The bait and switch with "Babs" at the start of the issue is still confusing to me because I really have no idea what to make of Dick and Babs' relationship since the New 52 started despite being very tried of it at this point. I think a big difference between what Percy did with Green Arrow and Black Canary and what he is going to try and do with Babs and Dick in Nightwing is that all through the New 52 GA and BC didn't really meet or interact. So when Percy got them and used them in his GA run he was able to start from the beginning with the two of them and then slip in things from the old continuity, but it was all build around the idea that this is their fist time meeting. So it had a freshness to it layered with nostalgia. With Dick and Babs it has been the exact opposite of that since the New 52.

All through the New 52 they were constantly teased together and there was never any clarification on what even their past relationship status was. It was a mess. I had no idea if they had dated previously or if the two of them never actually dated and crossed that line because the "timing" was always off. Despite all the teasing there wasn't even a panel of the two of them kissing I believe outside of maybe when Dick was Robin? No one really knew what their history was because I don't think DC even knew it. Now Percy is going to try and do something with their relationship but I don't think it will have the same effect because it is such a mess now and he isn't able to start fresh like he was able to do for GA and BC. So I think a lot of his work with them will fall well short of what he did with GA and BC.

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    All through the New 52 they were constantly teased together and there was never any clarification on what even their past relationship status was. It was a mess. I had no idea if they had dated previously or if the two of them never actually dated and crossed that line because the "timing" was always off. Despite all the teasing there wasn't even a panel of the two of them kissing I believe outside of maybe when Dick was Robin? No one really knew what their history was because I don't think DC even knew it. Now Percy is going to try and do something with their relationship but I don't think it will have the same effect because it is such a mess now and he isn't able to start fresh like he was able to do for GA and BC. So I think a lot of his work with them will fall well short of what he did with GA and BC.
    They never dated during Batgirl/Robin days. There were tensions, they have a crush on each other, they flirt, there were kisses, they save each other, they go on a family picnic, but they're never officially in a relationship. When they go, they go as friends, and when they kiss, one misread the moment and the other feel it's not the right time. As far as I remember, their Rebirth New Year date is their first official date where they go as lovers instead of friends.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 06-08-2018 at 12:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    Thought the chapter was okay. Kind of the same as the previous issue with the tech stuff being a bit too on the nose, but it was handled a little better in this issue. I'm still just holding out to see how this will expand beyond Bludhaven. I still don't mind Percy's voice for Dick outside of the tech stuff he is doing with him, but his general voice for the character I still think is good. He has a fairly good balance between being light and serious. I still like the art despite it making Dick look even more Daredevil-lite, but once you accept they obviously want to make Dick Daredevil it becomes more fitting. All the little detail in it is quite good.

One thing that has been stuck in my mind for a bit is what Percy plans on doing with Babs. The bait and switch with "Babs" at the start of the issue is still confusing to me because I really have no idea what to make of Dick and Babs' relationship since the New 52 started despite being very tried of it at this point. I think a big difference between what Percy did with Green Arrow and Black Canary and what he is going to try and do with Babs and Dick in Nightwing is that all through the New 52 GA and BC didn't really meet or interact. So when Percy got them and used them in his GA run he was able to start from the beginning with the two of them and then slip in things from the old continuity, but it was all build around the idea that this is their fist time meeting. So it had a freshness to it layered with nostalgia. With Dick and Babs it has been the exact opposite of that since the New 52.

Part of the reason why Percy's run on GA faltered was because it tried to put Ollie and Dinah together as quickly as possible without any build-up. As such, Dinah never had much of a role in the book, other than to be a token love interest that the audience was supposed to accept no questions asked. The book sold the idea of the relationship better than the relationship itself. At least here, Percy establishes a rapport between them before having them jump into bed.

It was purposely ambiguous.

And I have say, I do like Percy’s voice for Dick/Babs so far. There conversations come off rather well.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 06-08-2018 at 12:25 AM.

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

i like the inside art and am glad its JRJR feel to it myself. ive also bought the JRJR varients instead of standerd covers. love the look of them without logos
    X-Men Forever

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    It was purposely ambiguous.

And I have say, I do like Percy’s voice for Dick/Babs so far. There conversations come off rather well.
    There seems to be a really strong push for Dick/Babs in the coming months. I'm really curious if they're finally interested in setting them up as status quo for a while again. Though considering the last two pushes (when Dick returned from the "dead" in Grayson, and then again with Summer of Lies/start of Rebirth in Nightwing) have been...incredibly non-starter, I kinda hope that either they make it clear that they're not, or they are. Just teasing is bad writing at this point.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    There seems to be a really strong push for Dick/Babs in the coming months. I'm really curious if they're finally interested in setting them up as status quo for a while again. Though considering the last two pushes (when Dick returned from the "dead" in Grayson, and then again with Summer of Lies/start of Rebirth in Nightwing) have been...incredibly non-starter, I kinda hope that either they make it clear that they're not, or they are. Just teasing is bad writing at this point.
    Grayson's return and Summer of Lies were not pushes. Barbara was dating Luke right before Dick returned and they him kiss Starfire in the same month. Summer of Lies is a flashback to past relationship. The cover teased a kiss but there's a psychedelic background that a lot of people already guess it's going to be a dream or illusion. The closest one is Seeley's Nightwing before he swerved to make it Shawn instead.