Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Exclamation Astonishing X-Men #12 - A Man called X *spoilers*

Starts off from the preview where X is revealed to have housed the Shadow King all this time and he starts to send out tendrils of shadow things everywhere, something about using the gardens which Proteus made to control the planet.

He infects all the X-Men except Psylocke with darkness so they succumb to their fears etc for the whole issue.

Just as Psylocke is defeated (bitten apparently) as well, and all hope seems lost, X gets up, pushes his skull back together and fixes everything using Psylocke as they connect to every psychic on earth and do something to defeat the Shadow King. Not entirely sure to be honest, "get more powerful" sort of covers it.

At the end X wipes all the X-Mens minds about him, except Psylocke, leaving her as the only one to know he exists to make sure X doesn't go all Shadow King again.

X also gives the X-Men "gifts" such as "choice, "purpose" and "understanding" etc which seems to mean very little mostly apart from Archangel being able to be who he wants to be (choice) and Gambit going to search for Fantomex (purpose)

-----------------------------------

This was rather messy, and decompressed. I wanted to like this a lot more than I did. Most of the X-Men didn't really need to be there. I'm still not entirely sure of the Shadow Kings plan or how they beat him but I don't think thats the point. It does set up X as a character unto himself which could be interesting in the right hands.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tenebrae View Post
    Starts off from the preview where X is revealed to have housed the Shadow King all this time and he starts to send out tendrils of shadow things everywhere, something about using the gardens which Proteus made to control the planet.

He infects all the X-Men except Psylocke with darkness so they succumb to their fears etc for the whole issue.

Just as Psylocke is defeated (bitten apparently) as well, and all hope seems lost, X gets up, pushes his skull back together and fixes everything using Psylocke as they connect to every psychic on earth and do something to defeat the Shadow King. Not entirely sure to be honest, "get more powerful" sort of covers it.

At the end X wipes all the X-Mens minds about him, except Psylocke, leaving her as the only one to know he exists to make sure X doesn't go all Shadow King again.

X also gives the X-Men "gifts" such as "choice, "purpose" and "understanding" etc

This was rather messy, and decompressed. I wanted to like this a lot more than I did. Most of the X-Men didn't really need to be there. I'm still not entirely sure of the Shadow Kings plan or how they beat him but I don't think thats the point. It does set up X as a character unto himself which could be interesting in the right hands.
    ....What the hell?

Why can't they just bring Xavier back proper? The bald guy in a wheelchair. The one before the post-Morrison era. Jeez

Still waiting on that sike......

BANNED

The ending made me believe that X-Classified will be about X after all.

Beats me though why they're being so secretive about it when they casually revealed he's starring the Astonishing annual.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    The ending made me believe that X-Classified will be about X after all.

Beats me though why they're being so secretive about it when they casually revealed he's starring the Astonishing annual.
    Truth probably the title to be announced should have him as a member or perhaps a solo.

Whatever his intentions this Xavier clearly will not be a pacifist or maybe Xavier never was.

X-A.jpg

Well the book closed in a disappointing way, very much in accordance with what has been this boring story.

A great cast wasted.

BANNED

THis is rather confusing review.

So if X is dead again , who is that person in the new series together with original adult x-men?

Quote Originally Posted by Tenebrae View Post

X also gives the X-Men "gifts" such as "choice, "purpose" and "understanding" etc which seems to mean very little mostly apart from Archangel being able to be who he wants to be (choice) and Gambit going to search for Fantomex (purpose)

I was also disappointed with the "gifts". Warren's was good, but hey, maybe Rogue would like control of her powers back there Chuck? Or at least an explanation of why he can't help with that this time. And Gambit's was flat out lame . . . If this event is mindwiped and Fantomex is on the Astral plane still, how the hell can he repay him? I predict it will get dropped. And also where the heck do these guys all wake up at and what is Psylocke going to tell them? I hate they lost all the insight, small as it was, that they gained from this adventure. Basically the story functioned to bring back X and that's about it.
    Last edited by AppleJ; 06-06-2018 at 09:27 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jalsrix View Post
    THis is rather confusing review.

So if X is dead again , who is that person in the new series together with original adult x-men?
    How did you come to the conclusion that X is dead?

BANNED

Every time I see that "I am X" I cringe because it sounds stupid

He is either Xavier or the new X-man but not X.

I think the new book will be X but I pray it's called X-man instead

Started out well with top artists but ended badly with crap.

He looks like Steve Rogers in that last panel.

Astonishing Member

What was the point of this ?

I like the change and the development! Would love to see more of it and its great to finally have the originator of the X-Men out of the wheel chair and possibly on the battle field.

Bonus for the X-Men having a competent male Telepath on the team for a change. Always wanted to see how this would work out.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 06-06-2018 at 10:11 AM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Astonishing Member

X reminds me of the two times they tried to make the Hellfire Club young and hip. First with Shinobi Shaw in the early 90s, and this decade with Aaron and his kids. Both times it was a mistake.

Also, X probably killed Fantomex and EVA to make himself a new body.