Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    Wow people are actually arguing about the Sentinel now? Why does this suddenly become an issue? Trinary has been controlling The Sentinel for three issues now.
    I'd like it on the record that I've complained about the sentinel from the get go. It's a tired, boring trope and it dilutes the overall value of Red as a series imo.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    Wow people are actually arguing about the Sentinel now? Why does this suddenly become an issue? Trinary has been controlling The Sentinel for three issues now.
    People have been complaining about it since it was introduced and they complained about Cerebra before that and Juston's pet sentinel before even that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazpocalapse View Post
    I think that the problem is more of what the Sentinel represents. It has been used as a instrument to incite authority over mutants and the lawful powers to subdue or eliminate mutants deemed a threat. Sentinels are a symbol of certain forces creating operatives that are used by governments against mutants.
    Sometimes groups find a sense of empowerment by reclaiming the very things used against them.

If these mutants feel that way, power to them. It doesn’t man we have to feel the same way. They’ve stripped it of all weapons so it doesn’t really pose a threat. But we aren’t in a position to tell people they can’t be empowered by the very things that oppressed them.
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Wasn't Danger's whole thing about be mad that Charles used her as a tool/slave? Sentinels have been AI since the 60's. Trinary is controlling it against its prime directive. This is not something to be championed any which way you slice it.
    Fair point.

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Oh i'm almost sure that she was.
    I swear even when she does nothing Gabby somehow makes everyone look at her somehow.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Wasn't Danger's whole thing about be mad that Charles used her as a tool/slave? Sentinels have been AI since the 60's. Trinary is controlling it against its prime directive. This is not something to be championed any which way you slice it.
    Danger was sentient...this Sentinel isn't. Its prime directive was created by someone. There is a vast difference.

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Sometimes groups find a sense of empowerment by reclaiming the very things used against them.

If these mutants feel that way, power to them. It doesn’t man we have to feel the same way. They’ve stripped it of all weapons so it doesn’t really pose a threat. But we aren’t in a position to tell people they can’t be empowered by the very things that oppressed them.
    Yep i understand your point on that i just wish that the Sentinel at least had more of a personality than just window dressing, perhaps a little convo between Trinary and the Sentinel would give it's presence more depth. Let us get a little more insight how Trinary communicates and overrides machines like the sentinel could Trinary be able to reach programs and change their views? Would this be considered ethical?

Would X-fans get mad about Trinary changing a sentinel programming to save mutants like that would if it was done to a mutant/human?

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Danger was sentient...this Sentinel isn't. Its prime directive was created by someone. There is a vast difference.
    Danger was created by the Shi'Ar. Sentinels are sentient. They have been since the earliest stories, which is why they chose to fly into the sun(the true source of mutation) that one time.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    I swear even when she does nothing Gabby somehow makes everyone look at her somehow.
    She is an attention seeker .

Quote Originally Posted by Tazpocalapse View Post
    Yep i understand your point on that i just wish that the Sentinel at least had more of a personality than just window dressing, perhaps a little convo between Trinary and the Sentinel would give it's presence more depth. Let us get a little more insight how Trinary communicates and overrides machines like the sentinel could Trinary be able to reach programs and change their views? Would this be considered ethical?

Would X-fans get mad about Trinary changing a sentinel programming to save mutants like that would if it was done to a mutant/human?
    Exactly. This is the same concept as the telepathy/mind control debate from a few pages ago. Not only is a Sentinel a symbol of genocide, it's also being enslaved! Try that for intersectionality!

Danger was created by the Shi'Ar. Sentinels are sentient. They have been since the earliest stories, which is why they chose to fly into the sun(the true source of mutation) that one time.
    Huh, i wonder if current writters actually remenber that.

Exactly. This is the same concept as the telepathy/mind control debate from a few pages ago. Not only is a Sentinel a symbol of genocide, it's also being enslaved! Try that for intersectionality!
    Well they are just following Xavier teachings, of hw could use Danger, they could use Sentinels too . (Speaking seriously, that retcon sucks).

Mastermold is another example of a sentient Sentinel. Nimrod too. Which of course brings us to Bastion. Heck, even that giant mega-wild Sentinel that killed Genosha was shown to be sentient in Astonishing. Humans develop a new form of life(AI) and automatically enslave it... There's a meaty theme to chew on, Taylor.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

They probably don't. And that little known fact (though canonical) is probably very much obsolete. So...Enh!

Spectacular Member

Mastermold is another example of a sentient Sentinel. Nimrod too. Which of course brings us to Bastion. Heck, even that giant mega-wild Sentinel that killed Genosha was shown to be sentient in Astonishing. Humans develop a new form of life(AI) and automatically enslave it... There's a meaty theme to chew on, Taylor.
    That specific sentinel that destroyed Genosha was not sentient. It was GIVEN life by Danger and then the impact of what it did got to him and he decided to sacrifice himself.