Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    Storm doesn't fit on a team with Jean Grey and Nightcrawler? Get out of here lol
    My point is, this should be more of a main team-honey badger, trinary and gentle sort of make it less than that.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    My point is, this should be more of a main team-honey badger, trinary and gentle sort of make it less than that.
    See, I disagree. It's a team with Jean Grey, Storm, Nightcrawler, Gambit, Namor, and Wolverine/X-23. There are plenty of heavy hitters that make up for the newer and lesser known bunch.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    I suspect that people don't think Storm fits because she isn't hogging up all the panel space, but... she super does. She doesn't need to be the most important cog in the wheel.
    no the only one hogging up panel space is jean.

I'm sure mr White's intention wasnt to demonstrate how ineffectual some characters can be when they are on a team with another character of a particular powerset but it most certainly came through this issue. it would have been nice since all the members of the team are finally together to see why each of them are essential but we didnt. jean did the same thing she always does, crowd control, block bullets, demonstrate how she is a powerhouse. we see gentle being the compassionate bruiser, the wolverine derivatives do their thing with bringing spunk and fun to the book. we see the craftiness of gambit, nightcrawler was there being jeans conscious in a way, and of course we see what namor brought with having the power of a nation behind him. Jean last issue mentioned that she has a goddess and a king last. I saw what namor could do in that regard but I most certainly didnt get anything from ororo. did we see what she brings to the team as a goddess? she couldn't react fast enough to block the bullets in her because we have to show how awesome jean is again blocking bullets. we couldn't show storm going crowd control because we another moment to show how great jean is at crowd control. however, ororo has done these things and more in the past. so when you have powerhouses such as storm and jean, one will get short changed and this issue was very much proof of this.

so the question becomes, why is storm here? what does she bring to this team? outside of a bolt of lightning I would argue she doesnt bring anything and she wont if mr. white continues to write jean in the way that he is. has nothing to do with panel time but making it so to where the reader truly gets a sense of why each member is there.
    Last edited by butterflykyss; 06-06-2018 at 06:48 PM.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Of course Jean would be the one blocking bullets. That's one of the most obvious telekinetic feats. Storm should have fought the army before Jean brought them back to normal or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Of course Jean would be the one blocking bullets. That's one of the most obvious telekinetic feats. Storm should have fought the army before Jean brought them back to normal or something like that.

why couldn't storm defend herself she has in the past? I'm not saying jean couldn't do it, even though we already saw her do this first issue. but why not show them both doing it??

we get it jean is awesome but storm as written this issue didnt mske sense to me as to why she is needed at all. and my rationale is that if white wrote her doing all the things she possibly could that would distract from jean.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

The least that you could do in your unnecessary "WHY ISN'T STORM GETTING FEATZZZZ" tirade is get the writer's name right.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    The least that you could do in your unnecessary "WHY ISN'T STORM GETTING FEATZZZZ" tirade is get the writer's name right.
    hello there tom??? is that you? please do better making it to where each character is shown being essential to the team thanks!

Jean meeting the poles on the beach gave me Moses leading the israelites to the sea vibe

Also loved how jean made the bad guys see the mutants’ perspective. It hit home with me because I remember how many of my friends and family were anti gay until I came out. Then suddenly since someone they knew was gay their opinions softened.

I still think the cast is too big. I don’t mind because I’m here for jean but I empathize with other character’s fans who would like to see them get more development. I wouldn’t mind if some characters were written out.

Also, daggum.. Taylor really has adult jean’s “voice” down so well.
    Last edited by Grey; 06-06-2018 at 07:14 PM.
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

BANNED

Storm was Featzing pretty nice in Gold today...

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post

why couldn't storm defend herself she has in the past? I'm not saying jean couldn't do it, even though we already saw her do this first issue. but why not show them both doing it??

we get it jean is awesome but storm as written this issue didnt mske sense to me as to why she is needed at all. and my rationale is that if white wrote her doing all the things she possibly could that would distract from jean.
    I'm not saying Ororo can't defend herself. I'm just saying that it's more obvious for the one with TK who can make shields to be the one blocking the attacks. That moment is literally just two panels. There isn't a focus on the fight and blocking guns at all. I was disappointed that she gave orders to Nightcrawler and Laura/Gabby only though.

But anyway the focus wasn't on the fighting. She says "Protect them my X-Men" and then her "big feat" is not to attack them but to bring them back to normal and stop the fighting altogether. This issue was all about doing things peacefully...

BANNED

Storm shouldn't accept being subordinate to Jean. "My X-Men" my ass.

BANNED

Storm should rip her clothes off and tell Jean where to shove her shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    Storm shouldn't accept being subordinate to Jean. "My X-Men" my ass.
    She accepted being subordinate to Kitty. Anything from that is an improvement.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    She accepted being subordinate to Kitty. Anything from that is an improvement.
    She did that out of IvX guilt + wanted to make her Kitten feel good.

I give this issue a 3/5. Serviceable with a few missteps.

The art wasn't as consistent as previous issues, and the dialogue was bad in a few places. I still don't see what exactly makes Jean's "nation" significantly different from previous attempts (excepting X-Force), and even though the issue addressed the implications of Jean's use of her telepathy, I don't think the problem is resolved. Admittedly, the last one is a problem I have with telepathy at large in the MU, and not just this book. Last small nitpick, why did Jean have to tell the team twice to protect the civilians? Were they just standing around after that dynamic group-shot?

I like the Sentinel-Jet, although I'm not feeling the paint-job. Seeing the Polish Mutant with his son raised a neat idea - do you think we will ever have a completely human character born of mutant parents? I'm not saying that kid isn't ultimately mutant, but seeing him gave me the idea. I agree that "To Me, My X-Men" or variations thereof are a little overused, and I think it was misplaced here - however, I'm hoping Jean gets a more opportune moment to use it, because when Cyclops said it in Whedon's Astonishing, it was awesome. Lets give Jean a moment like that. I like the peaceful approach that the team is trying to take, but they still invaded a sovereign nation; that's gotta cause problems for the entire X-Men and not just Jean's team.