Page 33 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435 LastLast
    Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Finally managed to see the movie last night (My local theatre situation isn't great), and I absolutely adored it. Not only was it a technical achievement in almost every area of 3D animation, every frame was stunningly beautiful. Stylistically I understand that not every animated film will be able to follow with it, but ITSV really sets a new standard. Not just for animated superhero films, but animated films, and superhero films. God, it made so many other recent films feel like crap.

Only two things that bothered me about it is that the movie can be visually overwhelming. Not chaotic or incomprehensible, but there's a lot going on in every frame. Viewing it in theatres is absolutely the ideal way to see it, and I expect people that wait for a home release to not appreciate it as much. My second issue is that they didn't get Paul Soles back to voice a character, he's pushing Ninety years old but he's still acting.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

I was just thinking how cool it was that we got a movie where Spider-Man’s marriage to MJ happened, and not just one, but both realities. Also interesting that the younger Peter at age 26 is younger than he is in the current comics yet was married, and despite the older Peter and MJ separating, it was done in a way that shows their love did not die and they were on their way to reconciliation at the end.

It’s like YES world, Peter marrying MJ IS a thing! And now more people than ever can see it as a part of the the Spider-man story/mythos. Brings joy to my heart to see representation of this which is so near and dear to my heart. Hopefully we get a sequel that shows what happens next with Peter B Parker and MJ!

This isn't really a good example of the marriage working in film. One spider-marriage ended in divorce; the other in death.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    This isn't really a good example of the marriage working in film. One spider-marriage ended in divorce; the other in death.
    Are you insinuating that it's MJ's fault the Peter of Miles' universe died?

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    I was just thinking how cool it was that we got a movie where Spider-Man’s marriage to MJ happened, and not just one, but both realities. Also interesting that the younger Peter at age 26 is younger than he is in the current comics yet was married, and despite the older Peter and MJ separating, it was done in a way that shows their love did not die and they were on their way to reconciliation at the end.

It’s like YES world, Peter marrying MJ IS a thing! And now more people than ever can see it as a part of the the Spider-man story/mythos. Brings joy to my heart to see representation of this which is so near and dear to my heart.
    Wonder if the heavy influence from the Raimi movies had anything to do with them using those plot points?

Hopefully we get a sequel that shows what happens next with Peter B Parker and MJ!
    Yeah, would be up for that, too, but I wonder if it should be some kind of spinoff rather then the direct sequel, which seems to be intended to focus on Miles and Gwen.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

iMan 42s

It may not be a good showing of the marriage working but in the end both serve a useful place in the story and benefited the characters from the portrayal.

Peter Parker was married and it only ended in his untimely death.
    Peter B. Parker was married, got separated, but in the end it does imply that he's willing to work things out following his experience with Miles, seeing as apparently the only hang up was Peter not wanting children.

Furthermore it also contrasts well with the villain of the film, Kingpin. His whole goal was reconnecting with his lost family whereas Peter B. Parker's whole sub-plot is about him trying to get over his worries about having children by dealing with Miles. Further exemplified by Miles only being active for a few days, but coming into his own and inspiring Peter to take a leap of faith. That leap of faith justified being that Peter over only a couple of days managed to help turn Miles into a hero, and that he really shouldn't worry about the example he sets. Even after all the things he screwed up and how he presents himself he was what Miles needed to teach him, not the first Peter. And if he could do alright with a complete stranger, he could do alright with his own kid.

As such while it isn't necessarily a great showing of it, it does indicate that a married Spider-man can benefit the story and after all that's what needs to happen. Part of the problem people have with writing the marriage was that writers didn't know what to do with MJ and providing an end goal for Peter to achieve like getting over the wants, fears, and hassle that is raising children is a way to do that on-top of Peter getting to do the nasty with the red head. Marriages aren't perfect and seeing Peter work through those fears into the next stage of his life sets a good precedent for future marriage portrayals. Even when they aren't 100% it shows that it can benefit the characters.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    It may not be a good showing of the marriage working but in the end both serve a useful place in the story and benefited the characters from the portrayal.

Peter Parker was married and it only ended in his untimely death.
    Peter B. Parker was married, got separated, but in the end it does imply that he's willing to work things out following his experience with Miles, seeing as apparently the only hang up was Peter not wanting children.

Furthermore it also contrasts well with the villain of the film, Kingpin. His whole goal was reconnecting with his lost family whereas Peter B. Parker's whole sub-plot is about him trying to get over his worries about having children by dealing with Miles. Further exemplified by Miles only being active for a few days, but coming into his own and inspiring Peter to take a leap of faith. That leap of faith justified being that Peter over only a couple of days managed to help turn Miles into a hero, and that he really shouldn't worry about the example he sets. Even after all the things he screwed up and how he presents himself he was what Miles needed to teach him, not the first Peter. And if he could do alright with a complete stranger, he could do alright with his own kid.

As such while it isn't necessarily a great showing of it, it does indicate that a married Spider-man can benefit the story and after all that's what needs to happen. Part of the problem people have with writing the marriage was that writers didn't know what to do with MJ and providing an end goal for Peter to achieve like getting over the wants, fears, and hassle that is raising children is a way to do that on-top of Peter getting to do the nasty with the red head. Marriages aren't perfect and seeing Peter work through those fears into the next stage of his life sets a good precedent for future marriage portrayals. Even when they aren't 100% it shows that it can benefit the characters.
    All of this is good.

"Into the Spider-Verse" would not work with unmarried Spider-Man. And it just might be the best Spider-Man movie ever made.

To me it's not really necessary to show it "working" as you call it ... as in this happy, picture perfect depiction. It was more about it being represented period.

The fact that it happened in both worlds, makes it appear to the audience that Peter and Mary Jane getting married is an established norm for the character in his life. Something that Marvel has backtracked on was shown to be followed through with on film which I find wonderful.

Plus, the Peter of Mile's universe died unfortunately, but it was not a knock against his marriage in any way. It was no fault of the marriage. It was just an unfortunate event that a villian killed him. And there is no reason to believe he did not have a fulfulling and healthy marriage with Mary Jane in that world as she gives a very warm and heartfelt eulogy and also is shown to be represeting in for the charity event in his honor.

As for Peter B. Parker, it shows that his marriage lasted quite a long time and only recently had they divorced, and to be honest, the way its depicted in the film in no way implies they gave up on love or stopped loving each other as Joe Quesada was afraid to show in the comics. It really was an uncertain and regretable divorce as shown on Peter and MJ's faces. I got the impression Peter could have seperated from MJ out of love for her to give her a chance to find fulfilment that she could not get with him becuase of his different stance on having children than she did. And clearly in the end when he came around on children, it shows a look of pleasant surprise on MJ's face to see Peter open the door with flowers. Like, is this really happening? It implies things are going to work out and they may even remarry and have kids together.

So yeah, I don't really buy the idea that its a depiction of marriages "not working" in either case. As one worked but had an unfortunate death, and the other only didn't work for a time before a reconciliation. And for the latter, this is true of the comics. MJ has left Peter in the comics and they have reunited. So I didn't find it unfaithful to the source material, just a little more extreme version of their seperation from the comics.

To me it's not really necessary to show it "working" as you call it ... as in this happy, picture perfect depiction. It was more about it being represented period.

The fact that it happened in both worlds, makes it appear to the audience that Peter and Mary Jane getting married is an established norm for the character in his life. Something that Marvel has backtracked on was shown to be followed through with on film which I find wonderful.

Plus, the Peter of Mile's universe died unfortunately, but it was not a knock against his marriage in any way. It was no fault of the marriage. It was just an unfortunate event that a villian killed him. And there is no reason to believe he did not have a fulfulling and healthy marriage with Mary Jane in that world as she gives a very warm and heartfelt eulogy and also is shown to be represeting in for the charity event in his honor.

As for Peter B. Parker, it shows that his marriage lasted quite a long time and only recently had they divorced, and to be honest, the way its depicted in the film in no way implies they gave up on love or stopped loving each other as Joe Quesada was afraid to show in the comics. It really was an uncertain and regretable divorce as shown on Peter and MJ's faces. I got the impression Peter could have seperated from MJ out of love for her to give her a chance to find fulfilment that she could not get with him becuase of his different stance on having children than she did. And clearly in the end when he came around on children, it shows a look of pleasant surprise on MJ's face to see Peter open the door with flowers. Like, is this really happening? It implies things are going to work out and they may even remarry and have kids together.

So yeah, I don't really buy the idea that its a depiction of marriages "not working" in either case. As one worked but had an unfortunate death, and the other only didn't work for a time before a reconciliation. And for the latter, this is true of the comics. MJ has left Peter in the comics and they have reunited. So I didn't find it unfaithful to the source material, just a little more extreme version of their seperation from the comics.
    I have no issue with the depiction, nor am I claiming it's unfaithful. While it is an example of the marriage being represented outside of the comics, it's not an example of a good story starring a married Spidey.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

While it is an example of the marriage being represented outside of the comics, it's not an example of a good story starring a married Spidey.
    As much as people complain here about me bringing OMD into everything, there isn't a need for you to invade every post about people saying nice things about seeing the marriage and its importance to that story...someone is saying they like ITSV and why they like it, so why can't you just let it be.

Into the Spider-Verse is the story of Miles Morales. The point of the film is that for Miles Morales to become Spider-Man, and specifically a teenage and young Spider-Man, Peter Parker needs to grow up and be written like and feel like an adult. So that's why both Peters in the movie are adults and married men. Fundamentally both Peters are minor characters in the movie and not the focus.

Mary Jane has a very small role in the film but it's pretty cool that she got to voice the central themes about the film..."My husband, Peter Parker, was an ordinary person. He always said that it could be anyone behind the mask. He was just a kid who happened to get bit. He didn't ask for his powers. But he chose to be Spider-Man... My favorite thing about Peter is that he made us each feel powerful. We all have powers of one kind or the other, and in our own way we are all Spider-Man. And we are all counting on you."

I love the "My husband" part at the start...maybe Quesada-Slott can do an AU version of the script where "My live-in partner" works just as well...

I have no issue with the depiction, nor am I claiming it's unfaithful. While it is an example of the marriage being represented outside of the comics, it's not an example of a good story starring a married Spidey.
    Never tried to claim it was and I’m fine with that. All I’m saying is I’m happy about It having some form of representation on film.

I agree with the other posters that the latter had nothing to do with marriage "working" or not. As far as the former, all I can say is I don't think anything in the move supports that conclusion, esp. Peter B,'s little rambling about envying sea horses, all of the bread scene, and the ending.

Funny, I thought they did a good job with it all, but I am weird, so mileage may vary.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I agree with the other posters that the latter had nothing to do with marriage "working" or not. As far as the former, all I can say is I don't think anything in the move supports that conclusion, esp. Peter B,'s little rambling about envying sea horses, all of the bread scene, and the ending..
    Yeah, as for their marriage ending in divorce....the movie made it clear that divorce was definitely NOT an end for them... and with Peter ready for kids as a next step, it's natural to assume he'd want to renew his marriage as the different stance on having kids was the only reason it ended in the first place.
    Last edited by Vortex85; 01-24-2019 at 10:42 PM.

BANNED

Yeah, as for their marriage ending in divorce....the movie made it clear that divorce was definitely NOT an end for them... and with Peter ready for kids as a next step, it's natural to assume he'd want to renew his marriage as the different stance on having kids was the only reason it ended in the first place.
    Especially since the movie makes it clear multiple times that the divorce was Peter B' idea, that she was reluctant to go through with it, and the marriage ending was entirely his fault and his mistake. He got out because he lost Aunt May, had this mid-life crisis and couldn't have kids, so he divorced his wife and became a fat slob..."the janky, old, hobo Spider-Man".

Peter B' reads lik a parody of the Post-OMD Spider-Man, where basically Quesada-Slott made Peter Parker into this "youthful" character because they didn't think he'd live without Aunt May or should have kids. The movie showed that kind of character would be this moron that makes bad financial investments based on TV stock market advice, would generally be a terrible person and not be heroic to Miles Morales or Spider-Gwen, both of whom basically spend the movie going "Ugh...this guy".

Peter B's arc is really credible and interesting, not to mention, while it seems bleak at first, it really is uplifting in the end. It's a mature way to use the mariage.

I disagree about Peter B not being heroïc. He's world weary and kinda reluctant, but it's obvious he would do the right thing in the end, and he was the only one to support Miles when Noir and Gwen were harassing him.