Page 19 of 35 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Naked Bat View Post
    I have a hard time understanding how this is about responsibility.
    spoilers:
    Marriage and commitment are considered some of the greatest responsibilities
    end of spoilers

using this real life situation will make this version of Peter relatable to a lot of people
    No, it outright character assassinates him to a lot of people. The only people who'll relate to it are cowards who take the option.

Promoting this option to impressionable kids watching the film is wrong. Some of them might even be suffering from the effects of this, sure they, like the cowards, can relate, but do you want them reminded of what they're going through personally? This? Close to the holidays?

Quote Originally Posted by Naked Bat View Post
    Pete has always been kinda average Joe in a lot of regards.
    Being an "average joe" does not always have to mean "perennial loser"
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 12-06-2018 at 09:00 AM.

My problem is that Super Smash Bros. Ultimate comes out this weekend. I've got no time for Spider-Verse.

I can have Pichu utterly destroy Count Dracula. How is Spider-Verse supposed to compare to that?

Miles To Go still obsessing over one plot point about one Peter Parker in a film probably featuring about a dozen of him.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Miles To Go still obsessing over one plot point about one Peter Parker in a film probably featuring about a dozen of him.
    I care little if I'm mocked for having standards.

Having a fleet of them does not alter the face he is the one with the most focus and backstory out of those Peters besides the one that has it all together but is killed for his troubles. He is the one mentoring Miles, he is the central Peter of the film. My point still stands. It's a bleak and horrible depiction to sell to kids and short-changes fans of the characters and I will not support it. End of discussion.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 12-06-2018 at 09:41 AM.

It's 2018, almost 2019, and "divorce" shouldn't be stigmatized. A lot of marriages end in divorce. I love Fraction's Sensational annual too.

(Now I depart, because I have to prepare to beat other people online with Pichu, lol.)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    It's 2018, almost 2019, and "divorce" shouldn't be stigmatized. A lot of marriages end in divorce.
    Peter and MJ aren't "a marriage in between other marriages", MJ's words, not mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    He is the one mentoring Miles...
    He was chosen to be the mentor BECAUSE he isn't perfect.

he is the central Peter of the film.
    But maybe not the one who had the most impact on Miles.

My point still stands.

It's a bleak and horrible depiction to sell to kids...
    A wee bit overdramatic?

...and short-changes fans of the characters
    It's the NINTH cinematic film featuring Peter Parker and in this one there are a bunch of him. Fans are fine having something a little different this time around.

Peter and MJ aren't "a marriage in between other marriages", MJ's words, not mine.
    I love Fraction's Sensational Annual too. Given Peter was crying in his apartment after saying he and his wife split up, I don't see how you can think this movie is even suggesting that was what they were going for.
    Last edited by Kevinroc; 12-06-2018 at 10:01 AM.

BANNED

A wee bit overdramatic?
    You try being a lifelong Spider-Marriage fan enduring ten years of Peter and MJ being depicted like utter dogs*it in the mainstream and see how it works for you. Sure we're better off now than previously, but a film like this doesn't help.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 12-06-2018 at 12:31 PM.

BANNED

No, it outright character assassinates him to a lot of people. The only people who'll relate to it are cowards who take the option.

Promoting this option to impressionable kids watching the film is wrong. Some of them might even be suffering from the effects of this, sure they, like the cowards, can relate, but do you want them reminded of what they're going through personally? This? Close to the holidays?
    I have to wonder how old you are and what kind of actual life experiences you have that you would look at anyone who chooses divorce to be a "coward."

As someone who is on the later end of his 40s and who has been happily married for 13-plus years but who has known many people who have (sadly but sensibly) divorced, I can't imagine judging that choice as a cowardly move. Instead, oftentimes it takes real bravery to admit that a situation is untenable and needs to change.
    Last edited by Prof. Warren; 12-06-2018 at 10:51 AM.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

I care little if I'm mocked for having standards.

Having a fleet of them does not alter the face he is the one with the most focus and backstory out of those Peters besides the one that has it all together but is killed for his troubles. He is the one mentoring Miles, he is the central Peter of the film. My point still stands. It's a bleak and horrible depiction to sell to kids and short-changes fans of the characters and I will not support it. End of discussion.
    No one is mocking you for not wanting to see the movie, it's because of how often you keep popping into the thread to remind people that you won't see it. You're making the discussion about yourself.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Spider verse gets a golden globe nod for best animated film.

http://animatedviews.com/2018/2018-g...nees-revealed/

It's the NINTH cinematic film featuring Peter Parker and in this one there are a bunch of him. Fans are fine having something a little different this time around.
    I don't necessarily disagree, although this is, what? The first time we've seen Peter and Mary Jane together on-film since the Raimi movies in 2007? So I can understand being disappointed that the most prominent version of Peter in the movie has a relationship with MJ that ended on such a sour note.

But I guess we've also got Miles' "ideal" Spider-Man and his relationship with Mary Jane to balance it out, even if that's also the same version of Spider-Man they end up killing off.

Well, I'm certainly not seeing the movie (I will not support anything that spoilers:
    promotes divorce, especially between Peter and MJ. That would never happen
    end of spoilers) but I do agree this film appears to be quite fearless in challenging it's audience.
    Then bye.

(10ch)
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

spoilers:
    Marriage and commitment are considered some of the greatest responsibilities
    end of spoilers

Being an "average joe" does not always have to mean "perennial loser"
    I'm more concerned that there might be violence in this movie. Some children are victims of violence, so it is outrageous that the film might have characters hitting one another. This shouldn't be allowed so close to the holidays.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets