Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 253132333435

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    My concern is Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse missing out on the Oscar because of the Academy's track record to comic book films. The points you made also.
    My perception is that the Best Picture Oscar is the one where stuff gets unfairly looked over. The animated one seems to be more inclusive (maybe because it's already seen as a lesser category then the artsy stuff they go for?).
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    My perception is that the Best Picture Oscar is the one where stuff gets unfairly looked over. The animated one seems to be more inclusive (maybe because it's already seen as a lesser category then the artsy stuff they go for?).
    In terms of nominations, yeah it is more inclusive.

But then all bets are off as the people deciding the nominees are a much smaller group than the people voting for the winner. Many of them are infamous for not taking the category seriously and just voting for the current Disney/Pixar film their kid liked. Here's an excerpt from an anonymous voter on the subject from the 2015 category:

I only watch the ones that my kid wants to see, so I didn't see [The] Boxtrolls but I saw Big Hero 6 and I saw [How to Train Your] Dragon [2]. We both connected to Big Hero 6 — I just found it to be more satisfying. The biggest snub for me was Chris Miller and Phil Lord not getting in for [The] Lego [Movie]. When a movie is that successful and culturally hits all the right chords and does that kind of box-office — for that movie not to be in over these two obscure freakin' Chinese fuckin' things that nobody ever freakin' saw [an apparent reference to the Japanese film The Tale of the Princess Kaguya, as well as the Irish film Song of the Sea]? That is my biggest bitch. Most people didn't even know what they were! How does that happen? That, to me, is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen.
    Source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ra...llot-no-773905

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    The Oscars...a class act as always. I don't think voters should be using that language when talking about animated cartoons to start with.

Still I think this kind of logic and thinking might help Into the Spider-Verse.

The Oscars are not about quality. If a good movie wins, it will not necessarily be for the right reasons, but it's good that it wins nevertheless...

I think Spider-Verse might have the higher chance is because no matter if they go for that, or if they go to their easy Pixar answer, a superhero film will win, so might as well vote for the best one/the one everybody else is praising and giving awards to.

I just got back from the movie (only just now got a chance to see it), and I loved it. Miles was great, the jokes were funny, the serious scenes worked. Really impressed by how they used some of the alternate universe characters like Spider-Ham (and to a lesser extent, Noir and Peni) -- they easily could have just been an overused joke, but there was genuine depth to them. In general, this film had a lot of heart -- lots of great relationships like Miles and his parents, or Miles and the friendships he forms with the other spider characters. Animation was amazing -- I really felt like I was there. I can just imagine what it's like seeing this movie in 3-D. That's probably insane. Really awesome action scenes and I loved how things resembled a comic book. And it truly felt like a proper love letter to superheroes, Spider-Man, and legacy heroes. I can't wait to get it on DVD; this is one I know I won't get tired of.
    Last edited by MsAngel; 02-05-2019 at 04:48 PM.

Spider-verse wins at the Visual Effects Award.

https://variety.com/2019/artisans/aw...rs-1203129301/

One critic makes a case for it as the best movie of the year.

https://observer.com/2019/02/film-cr...2-roma-oscars/

Why superheroes? I’ve spent a lot of time on that question over the last 20 years. Our fascination with these characters goes so far beyond merely what’s on trend. But perhaps the appeal of superhero films has always been the same from the get go: they make good on our deepest, most alluring power fantasies: the innate belief that we can do the impossible, save lives and be larger than life. Naturally, this fantasy aspect makes me think really carefully about who and what we empower as “super.” And that is part of the reason I’m hard on the MCU. For every Black Panther-esque bright spot, there’s a new character “arc” that basically devolves into “I’m awesome! Why won’t you let me awesome!?” What more can be said about a series that turned Spider-Man, possibly the most iconic, impressionable working class hero in the Marvel roster, into a kid who is waiting for his billionaire dad-figure to give him a cool internship right now, dammit.

If that sounds harsh, it’s because the reality of that messaging is harsh. And what’s worrying is the fact that incredibly charming films are being constructed around those messages. That’s probably the most dangerous thing in superherodom that I can think of. But it turns out that in this exact environment, a film can come along and give me everything I’ve ever wanted, and everything I didn’t know I needed.

Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse might be a mosaic of everything that has come before in the genre, but that’s exactly its strength. This movie takes the many endless myths and permutations of this one character and blends them all together into a remarkable, crashing collage. In doing so, it confirms the most important possible point we could make for the genre: superherodom is actually scary. It’s filled with devastating loss and sadness. But your charge in this fight is not to be Altas and take that all on your shoulders. You actually aren’t the lone savior. You aren’t singular. You aren’t alone. And it couldn’t be more fitting for a movie that was brought to us through the power of collaboration to be the bearer of this message. Along the way, Spider-Verse gives us a story that has the capability to be laugh out loud funny, all while having the courage to stay grounded and emotional at its core. Miles’ story fully allows us to explore what it means to be a young person who wants to be their best possible self, but has no idea how to engage with that which is truly difficult. He learns that he does’t have to be special, that anyone can wear the mask and make the choice. And it is an evocation that gets summed up beautifully in a single moment.

That would be the climactic “What’s Up Danger” sequence in which Miles decides to finally take on the responsibility of his convictions. He is no less terrified than when he started. Even as he makes his final “leap of faith,” the glass literally has to be ripped from the building because it’s still clinging to his fingers. He falls downward toward the city. But in the shot of the year, this fall is shown upside-down, revealing how this very terrifying action is the only way we can really soar. And for a generation of kids to come, I hope this scene characterizes a moment of soul-rendering transformation that articulates adulthood exactly as it is: a continuous, ever-long, leap of faith.

When Miles finds his footing, runs as fast as he webs, and finally earns his own “cover moment,” it elicits the most intense goosebumps moment possible. I’ll admit I don’t really rewatch movies all that much, let alone certain sequences (there’s always a new movie to watch). But I’ll happily own to the fact I’ve watched this clip about 20 times. And every time I do, I can’t help but tear up with the swell of emotion as I feel the magnitude of what Miles has earned. The only other film I am able to say that about is the “superman” moment in The Iron Giant.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Into the Spider-Verse just won the BAFTA award for best animated film.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...ners-full-list
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Into the Spider-Verse just won the BAFTA award for best animated film.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...ners-full-list
    Really happy to see them sweeping up all these nominations. The team as a whole did a fantastic job.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

BANNED

Older experienced Spider-Men help win BAFTAs now. BND BTFO.

BANNED

Astonishing Member

Hey.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Looks like the physical release that is coming out next month is getting a "Ganke Lee Cut."

Ganke was originally going to be more central to the plot but got exercised because MCU decided to make Ned Leeds into Ganke.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    Looks like the physical release that is coming out next month is getting a "Ganke Lee Cut."

Ganke was originally going to be more central to the plot but got exercised because MCU decided to make Ned Leeds into Ganke.
    Hopefully the sequel will justify this travesty. If they do decide to go with the Miles x Gwen romance plot then I can totally see Ganke try and step up as Miles' wingman.