Page 28 of 35 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829303132 ... LastLast

Just saw it. Thought it was really good.

Why did Disney not want this film's writers to make a Star Wars movie again?

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Just saw it. Thought it was really good.

Why did Disney not want this film's writers to make a Star Wars movie again?
    Honestly I look at stuff like Edgar Wright getting sacked from Antman and all the drama surrounding Andrew Stanton with John Carter, and I feel that Disney Execs and Shareholders get really antsy when their directors get too ambitious with their styles.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    Honestly I look at stuff like Edgar Wright getting sacked from Antman and all the drama surrounding Andrew Stanton with John Carter, and I feel that Disney Execs and Shareholders get really antsy when their directors get too ambitious with their styles.
    I thought Ant-Man turned out better for the director change, so I don't think that's always a negative.

I'm bringing my son to watch this one this sunday morning and he doesn't even know it yet! I can't wait to watch it!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    I think Kingpin is one of those characters who comes under both licenses, as demonstrated by the number of times he’s appeared in Spider-Man video games. He first appeared in a Spider-Man comic so Sony could use him in the right contexts.
    Exactly.

Kingpin's case is a lot like Scarlet Witch's. Created for one franchise, while eventually becoming more closely associated with another.

In any case, I don't think the Sony-Marvel deal is gonna end. Amy Pascal seems willing to renew it, and Marvel has no reason not to. I do think they will delve a little deeper into issues like the relationship of Sony's solo films with the MCU, whether Tom Holland's Peter Parker can appear in a Venom film, or whether Peter Parker can be recast for a live-action film set in a non-MCU continuity. Plus, you also have the question of whether other Spider-Man characters can show up in MCU films.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Exactly.

Kingpin's case is a lot like Scarlet Witch's. Created for one franchise, while eventually becoming more closely associated with another.

In any case, I don't think the Sony-Marvel deal is gonna end. Amy Pascal seems willing to renew it, and Marvel has no reason not to. I do think they will delve a little deeper into issues like the relationship of Sony's solo films with the MCU, whether Tom Holland's Peter Parker can appear in a Venom film, or whether Peter Parker can be recast for a live-action film set in a non-MCU continuity. Plus, you also have the question of whether other Spider-Man characters can show up in MCU films.
    Unfortunately Venom’s commercial success has put the Spider-Man MCU deal into real peril since it means Sony has a bargaining chip that allows them to ask a lot more for a contract extension, and don’t forget that Tom is contracted to six films but only five MCU ones. The sixth one is one Sony will have complete power over, and believed to be the one where Sony transfers Spider-Man over to the Venomverse. That said it could depend on how well Morbius does over Venom, so Marvel Studios might come out the stronger party if Morbius does badly.

BANNED

By looking around..there are certain places that say this is the greatest Spider Man film of all time.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MichelleDiMera View Post
    By looking around..there are certain places that say this is the greatest Spider Man film of all time.
    I share those sentiments.

Quote Originally Posted by MichelleDiMera View Post
    Just from the standpoint of being a fan it's hard not to like this one the most, because it's the Spider-Man movie that's put the most care and expressive love of the source material into the movie. It's very self-aware and extremely early on it lets you know that it knows so.

Quote Originally Posted by goku200 View Post
    Miles will be in the MCU is a few years. Black Panther was to big not too. Marvel will want a new black lead.
    I don't know about a few years, and it's tricky with anything Spider-related because of Sony. I could see Falcon as Captain America before seeing Miles take the reigns as Spidey.

Marvel Studios is pretty slick with keeping their options open. We've seen lots of seeds planted and potential stuff there for say, Shuri to become Black Panther, or Monica Rambeau to be a hero. Blade can always be rebooted, they could maybe do a Luke Cage movie, etc. It's not like they're lacking in options for a black demographic. Black Panther's gonna be a trilogy at the very least and it's so (beautifully, I might add) black-centric with the afrofuturism and culture and all that, I could honestly just see them not feeling a need to rush it. After all, it doesn't look like they'll be rushing female-led MCU movies or anything after Captain Marvel. We'll get Black Widow but I'll be very surprised if that gets a sequel or anything if it took this long just for her to get a single solo film.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    Unfortunately Venom’s commercial success has put the Spider-Man MCU deal into real peril since it means Sony has a bargaining chip that allows them to ask a lot more for a contract extension, and don’t forget that Tom is contracted to six films but only five MCU ones. The sixth one is one Sony will have complete power over, and believed to be the one where Sony transfers Spider-Man over to the Venomverse. That said it could depend on how well Morbius does over Venom, so Marvel Studios might come out the stronger party if Morbius does badly.
    Yeah, Sony is certainly the one with the bargaining power here...but right now it doesn't seem like they want to yank the rights from the MCU. I think what they might be aiming for is more autonomy to use the Peter Parker character, whether Holland's or someone else's, in their own projects. And they might possibly demand more rights to use Marvel characters in their solo projects.

I don't see what they necessarily have to gain from ending the deal altogether, unless of course there's an ego clash down the line which doesn't seem very likely at the moment. Being able to have their own 'Spider-Verse' while maintaining some connective tissue with the biggest superhero mega-franchise of our times would be a win-win IMO.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

I mean, as far as Miles in the MCU goes, the screenwriters already planted the seeds for him making an appearance anyway through Aaron Davis being an established character. Since they lifted elements from Miles' comic anyway, I could just as easily see him being introduced as the Judge-esque third roommate to Peter and Ned. And then, like in the game, him eventually getting bitten by a Spider as well.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    I mean, as far as Miles in the MCU goes, the screenwriters already planted the seeds for him making an appearance anyway through Aaron Davis being an established character. Since they lifted elements from Miles' comic anyway, I could just as easily see him being introduced as the Judge-esque third roommate to Peter and Ned. And then, like in the game, him eventually getting bitten by a Spider as well.
    I think if we get Miles in the MCU he'll probably be in the Nadji Jeter/Wally West-esque interpretation we saw in the PS4 game, as I feel like that would be easiest way of integrating him.

I really don't want him to be the same age as Peter. Comparing the adaptions where they're depicted as the same age with the ones where there's a significant age gap, the latter tends to come off with a more believable and true to the text dynamic then the former.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think if we get Miles in the MCU he'll probably be in the Nadji Jeter/Wally West-esque interpretation we saw in the PS4 game, as I feel like that would be easiest way of integrating him.

I really don't want him to be the same age as Peter. Comparing the adaptions where they're depicted as the same age with the ones where there's a significant age gap, the latter tends to come off with a more believable and true to the text dynamic then the former.
    Agreed.

The only way a teenage Miles works with a teenage Peter is if they are from different realities - and the Peter that Miles replaced is older than him.

Come to think of it, almost every encounter Miles has had with a version of Peter, from his reality or otherwise, he's been younger than Peter.

Ultimate Peter Parker was a teenager, but even he was a few years older than Miles.

616 Peter is in any case well over a decade older than Miles. And even when Miles meets a younger 616 Peter in Generations, its still a Peter who's a few years older than him.

BOTH Peters Miles meets in this movie are older than him.

I guess the only time I've seen Miles interact with a Peter his age is the Spider-Verse tie-in where he teams up with the version from the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon.

Exactly.

It's really strange on who got what. Black panther first showed up in fantastic four yet marvel keeps him. Wolverine first shows up in hulk not X-Men yet fox got him. Strange.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Agreed.

The only way a teenage Miles works with a teenage Peter is if they are from different realities - and the Peter that Miles replaced is older than him.

Come to think of it, almost every encounter Miles has had with a version of Peter, from his reality or otherwise, he's been younger than Peter.

Ultimate Peter Parker was a teenager, but even he was a few years older than Miles.

616 Peter is in any case well over a decade older than Miles. And even when Miles meets a younger 616 Peter in Generations, its still a Peter who's a few years older than him.

BOTH Peters Miles meets in this movie are older than him.

I guess the only time I've seen Miles interact with a Peter his age is the Spider-Verse tie-in where he teams up with the version from the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon.
    Peter and Miles are pretty close in age on the Marvel's Spider-Man cartoon, but the less said about that take the better in my opinion.