Page 26 of 35 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627282930 ... LastLast

I loved how badass May was in this, she just picked up a bat and started swinging with the rest of the Spiderfolk

BANNED

When it comes to Spider-Man, Doug 'Nostalgia Critic' Walker is hard to please, but he and his brother loved this.

Looks like around $35m for spider-verse.

Deadpool came in 11th!

Mortal engines bombed!

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/

Next up mary poppins 2.

Edit--$35.4m and highest opening for a animated film in dec!

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4467&p=.htm

For the 13th time this year the top film at the weekend box office was adapted from a Marvel Comics property as Sony's animated release of Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse took the weekend box office crown with the largest opening ever for an animated film in December. Warner Bros.'s The Mule also enjoyed a solid debut while Universal's release of Mortal Engines crashed and burned. Additionally, ahead of its domestic debut next weekend, WB's Aquaman continued its stellar international rollout as the #1 film at the global box office this weekend.
    Finishing at #1, Sony Animation's Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse brought in an estimated $35.4 million for what is the largest three-day animated opening of all-time in the month of December. Previously, Universal and Illumination's Sing held that record with its $35.2 million opening. However, that debut does come with the caveat that it was part of a five-day opening that totaled $55.8 million back in December 2016. That being said, this is a great start for the production which should enjoy excellent play throughout the holiday season and beyond. The film received almost universally positive reviews heading into the weekend and earned a coveted "A+" CinemaScore from opening day audiences. Opening weekend crowds were largely male at 63% with 41% of the audience coming in aged 25 or older.
    Internationally, Spider-Verse brought in $21 million from 44 overseas markets, led by a $3.3 million opening in South Korea followed by the UK ($2.9m), Russia ($2.3m) and Australia ($2.3m). The film will add an additional 11 markets next weekend including openings in China and Spain.
    Last edited by Gaastra; 12-16-2018 at 12:14 PM.

Incredible Member Unspeakable Evil's Avatar

Great movie. Can't say that enough. Gotta wait for the sequel

BANNED

I want to see this movie so badly, but I don't want to give Sony anymore Money for their Spider-man related films. I mean they had two times to do this and they both messed up and also I'm not a big fan of the MCU Spidey at all. So I don't know where I truly stand on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    I want to see this movie so badly, but I don't want to give Sony anymore Money for their Spider-man related films. I mean they had two times to do this and they both messed up and also I'm not a big fan of the MCU Spidey at all. So I don't know where I truly stand on this.
    You can stand wherever you want but Sony own the rights to Spidy and they are not going to give them up just because you have doubts. Indeed they would not be stupid enough to loose the rights under any circumstances. Fan pressure won’t change things. Misinformed critics that think that Marvel have somehow got the rights back, or could potentially get them back in certain circumstances won’t change things either.

Just suck it up and go and watch a movie you will almost certainly enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    It's a great Spidey film, go out and support that! Show 'em you want more films like it in quality by going out, it's hands down the most authentic feeling Spidey movie to date. It captures the full experience of what the character is about, and bear in mind I'm also not the biggest fan of MCU Spidey either. I do like Homecoming, I'm just not elated about it like so many are. I think SM2 better captures the dramatic and tragic side of the character cause Homecoming just wanted to ignore pretty much all of it barring a Vulture reveal. Spider-Verse has that balance of heart, humor, tragedy and triumph.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

This movie made me interested in Peni Parker. I would like to see more of her.

After credit scene is the among the best I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    I loved how badass May was in this, she just picked up a bat and started swinging with the rest of the Spiderfolk
    Sounds more like something Mary Jane would do .

Although I guess it gives May more to do then she has in other Spider-Man movies...

It was a great move. IMO it was the best Spider-Man themed movie yet, bar none (including Venom for clarification).
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Just got back from seeing it and my thoughts echo the others, great movie, animation and action. Easter eggs galore as well. Can't wait for the sequel.
    Somewhere, a nerd cries. I feel nothing.

So I need to know from anyone else that saw this. Was there a strobing issue for the motion or was it just our projection of the movie. I was made hyper critical because in my showing all of the adverts were projected in 3D so the main feature with its multiple planes and the faux dot patterns made me convinced they were projecting it poorly.

iMan 42s

I enjoyed myself.
    I'm not sure if the sound was just odd in the film with the score playing too loud over the audio or if that was an issue with the theater. The comic book transitions are fine overall, but they also kind of make for odd scene transitions especially towards the end since you're looking to the middle of the screen. Not to mention they don't come up enough so we get weird moments where they aren't present for awhile and Miles does a thing and WOOOOOSH is written out behind him. I'd just say use it or don't. The cartoon style is also weird considering it wants the style, just not the presentation.

There is also some issues regarding the condensing of characters. You could cut characters and condense some for a stronger narrative. Some are only here for a joke or just aren't explored enough to care about outside of fan-service. And that does lead me to say that it falls into the same trap Spiderverse did where it's style over substance in a few areas (though in Spiderverse it's nothing but fan-service). The villain sucks (vastly superior to Morlun and his family though) and you could replace him with most other villains. He's strong and he has a gun. Clearly the biggest threat New York has ever seen /s.

But the film does enough right with what it has to work with that I'm not only glad I saw it, this is a great introduction to Miles who is pretty much my favorite character here. It opens doors yes, but it's narrative is strong enough to support itself that it can stand on its own as the best Spider-crossover and most competent.

A-, go see it.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

BANNED

This is probably my top 3 Spider Films, the characters NAILED it. It did something Justice League couldn't do.
    Man I loved this film, this is gonna be my first 4k purchase.

Aunt May had me weak.

BANNED

Just saw it. I was extremely pleased with the movie. I was expecting something more kid friendly and while it is more lighthearted that most of Raimi's trilogy and the ASM dyology, it does have some dark and heart shattering moments.
    May rocked! Not enough of MJ though.
    Miles was fantastic!
    Definitely recommended!