Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Psycwave View Post
    ... Well, here’s hoping to Astonishing and some better moments for my girl.
    Judging by the reaction here, and there being no Inhumans, shouldn't be too hard.

The execution of the overarching theme has already been dealt with by those echoing my sentiments - in a nutshell, not a big fan - so I'll just focus on the star herself.

I am all for the Ali willing to throw down and dirty, but repeatedly stepping on the guy? Yeesh. She has a temper and little tolerance for injustice and bullies but she generally needs to be pushed to that brink. It brought me back to Bendis' SHIELD agent take where she goes all flash bang at Goldballs home instead of at least attempting some calming light, something she has shown to do in the past. Yes, I realize there is less drama in reason but I'd rather the character served.

Also, are any other fans sick of the "I'm a singer not a superhero!" bit? Ugh. Ali, shut up. Sometimes you perform, sometimes you save the world. Often one right after the other. It's kinda always been your thing. Are there no writers who feel this horse is a bottle of Elmer's?

I didn't hate it. I liked elements. I'm ultimately more puzzled than anything. But hey, at least she looked super cute... Even if the outfit was an Excalibur derivative and she never changed her clothes. Gross, Ali.

BANNED

Newsarama.com, ALISON BLAIRE Returns to the Stage with DAZZLER: X-SONG
    ... Visaggio: It’s not about her past as much as her future; she’s recovering from her past.

Alison has been through a lot - a disco-revival pop princess turned renegade superhero turned extradimensional revolutionary turned NGO paramilitary official turned superhero again who watched her own alternate self die. She wants to get away from all that, and get back to the one thing she really wanted: music. So it’s about her trying to turn away from her past, but realizing that’s not very easy. ...
    Here's to the future, and not dwelling on the past.

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

I thought this was a solid read. I enjoyed the art and colors. The story concept was interesting. Glad to see Dazz back in the X-verse.

Quote Originally Posted by Heroine Addict View Post
    She did try to reason with them beforehand tho, but they wouldn't listen, and kept resorting to violence. Sometimes people CAN'T be reasoned with, especially in comics. I would've thought this was understood. It escalated, and when push came to shove, they got shoved back.

Maybe that baggage should be checked, and left at the door, then. It's not healthy, hangin' onto hate like that.

So, what, Mutants can never be shown in a negative light now? They can't be shown to be wrong? This is what it's come to, now? Hell, X-fandom's not THAT hypersensitive, are they?
    Well here enters the difference between X-men Red with Jean and BB and what happens in this issue with Dazzler.

While in X-men Red Jean going against her instincts resolves to forgive BB and consequently BB decides to apologize you come to a middle ground. Of course for many BB deserved to be judged and others probably think the same of Emma. But the intent of the story is to make both sides understand each other and forgive the past to move on.

Now if you simply portray one side as a hypocrite who acts based only on prejudice as if there was no other factor involved as a toxic cloud believing that using force will make hatred between the two groups disappear what lesson learned here?

I do not blame Dazzler for any of this but if the intention is to make readers of the Inhumans or the X-men come to the conclusion that hatred does not lead to anything then the story should be fair with both sides something that did not happen.Inhumans vs. X-men is not a simply case of two groups who have resolved to fight against each other for a bullshit cause and have a huge number of victims that makes a big difference in analyzing the conflict and explains why any mutant would have reasons to not wanting to share space with Inhumans. It is too soon to expect this conflict to be forgotten or forgiven.

The problem is not show mutants acting wrong even because we have had too much of it (both of X-mens and mutant villains). The problem is to show mutants as being those who are wrong when they are struggling to save their own lives or who have no right to hold resentment for a people and their leaders who almost led them to extinction .

I do not know how most readers feel but hypersensitive is not something I would use to describe someone who gets bothered with scenes like that:

EXTRAXM2015017_int_LR2-4.jpg

MG X-mens.jpg

Anyone in the world after seeing this could let their darker instincts guide their actions.Understand this and recognize this pain helps more than to say that the hatred of the mutants or some readers for inhumans is unjustifiable.Deny this is that makes many believe in extremists or that Magneto is right .
    Last edited by Knives; 06-06-2018 at 07:50 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Knives View Post
    Well here enters the difference between X-men Red with Jean and BB and what happens in this issue with Dazzler....
    Apples & oranges. As for the rest, from what I could decipher, I'm just gonna say we'll have to agree to disagree. I don't like the idea of using past crimes, to eXonerate new ones.

Amazing Member

Kinda felt like an intentional attack on Dazzler as a character. I'm just gonna pretend like this book never happened.

BANNED

I would’ve liked to see another hug with Medusa.

I’m pretty tired of mutants being portrayed as the wrong ones in the mutants vs inhumans debate. Fact is mutants were the ones being gassed and exterminated while royals and Nuhumans alike expressed apathy for their situation. This is just in bad taste.

This was so bad that I couldn't finish it.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaubier View Post
    I’m pretty tired of mutants being portrayed as the wrong ones in the mutants vs inhumans debate. Fact is mutants were the ones being gassed and exterminated while royals and Nuhumans alike expressed apathy for their situation. This is just in bad taste.
    I wouldn't go that far. Honestly, I think it's poor timing more than bad taste (though some of the elements, like making all of the gatekeeping mutant radicals monstrous figures and the two NuHuman targets conventionally pretty minorities, would be pretty tone deaf regardless). If IvX had been handled better - no Cyke-Hitler for absolutely no damn reason, no Soule saying the Inhumans won an off-screen PR war while at the same time readers are supposed to believe that NuHumans were ignorant of the Terrigen's effects on mutants, no character assassination of Frost, less apathy on the part of the Royals, and actual equal stakes for both sides - I think this would be largely taken as just one more too on-the-nose take on the mutant metaphor. But all of the above did happen, and so this story just adds to the impression of the X-Men being given the shaft and mutants' niche in the MU being broken down to prop up Marvel's new take on the Inhumans. So it's likely to be remembered about as fondly as "call me Alex".
    Last edited by Anduinel; 06-06-2018 at 11:20 PM.

♥♥عابث سولاناس♥♥ Park Slope Pixie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post
    I wonder what Pixie and Northstar would think about this.

No. Just no. Visaggio runs MILES around whatever drivel Guggiewuggie churns out on a biweekly basis.
    Pixie would have Nightmare'd this sellout to the state fair concert circuit.

This book was painful.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    ... this story just adds to the impression of the X-Men being given the shaft and mutants' niche in the MU being broken down to prop up Marvel's new take on the Inhumans. ...
    Ah, this might be where the disconnect is. I was never a card-carrying compleXer, and don't harbor that level of resentment. When that was at its peak, I avoided the X-Forum like the plague. CBR X-fans certainly are an eccentric bunch, SMH.

Oh, and who's Pixie?
    Last edited by Heroine Addict; 06-07-2018 at 03:44 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Luckystar. View Post
    ... Kinda upset the last page said she returns in Astonishing #14 rather than #13
    Yeah, Rosenberg already intimated this, so I was kinda eXpectin' it.

Quote Originally Posted by Heroine Addict View Post
    Ah, this is probably where the disconnect is. I was never a card-carrying compleXer, and don't harbor that level of resentment. When that was at it's peak, I avoided the X-Forum like the plague. CBR X-fans certainly are an eccentric bunch, SMH.
    Meh. You don't have to buy heavy into the CompleX to see why IvX was an unsatisfying, occasionally insulting mess of a story for a chunk of the readership. And that's the foundation that Vissagio built on, whether by choice or by mandate. Like I said previously, that was going to be a tough sell off the bat, even without going into where folks feel the actual flaws in the story's execution were.