Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Default Dazzler: X-Song #1 (Spoilers)

Interesting and enjoyable issue, overall. I quite like Alison getting back to her musical roots but still working to change the world for the better.

One spoilery question: how do the mutant and Inhuman groups actually know who is which, in order for the bigotry-based storyline to work? Do they have gene scanners at these clubs? Because if not, how would you know if someone looking a little different from the norm got that way through one way or the other? Is everyone volunteering whether they spent some time in a cocoon or not or something? Last I checked neither mutants nor Inhumans had any innate ability to detect others of their kind unless that was their specific mutation or power.

Quote Originally Posted by Luckystar. View Post
    I agree. Who cares he was scared or angry at his species being gassed to death, right? #NotAllInhumans I bet a good spanking can teach him a few lessons!
    So much for "showing empathy for all sides without necessarily bestowing approval"
    Unless there were original Inhumans from Attilan there, it was #NOTONEofTHESEInhumans. Nobody who was cocooned without their consent bears ANY complicity for setting off the T-bomb, whatsoever, whatever arguments you can make about Attilan Inhumans based on their acceptance of the Royal Family as leaders.

Quote Originally Posted by Heroine Addict View Post
    They had some power nullifying tech, that could be calibrated to only affect a specific meta-gene. Not too much of a stretch to imagine them using it or something like it, to identify who's who/what's what, I would say.
    That's not on sight, though. Unless they were gene scanning at the door or in the line of the club, how anyone knew which type of genetically altered human they were looking at without knowing their life story and if their powers and physical alterations happened in a cocoon or just popped up one day, remains unexplained.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    I thought it was about gatekeeping in fandom, but in any case, ugh, using members of a fictional race as "oppressor analogy" who've just been gassed to near extinction by their "victims" makes it all kinds of tacky. Also, as someone pointed out, appropriating phrases like "colonize our oppression" for the bullies is just tin-eared.

At least the art was pretty and the interactions with Colossus were sweet.
    None of their victims were involved in the gassing, unless you spotted some Attilanites there. They weren't Inhumans before the T-bomb, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Slicknickshady View Post
    Guggenheim writes Gold great. His Trollhunters stuff is amazing. So..

Also this Maggs just tweeted me and I didn’t even @ her. The plot of this was my issue. Inhumans commited Genocide!!
    These Inhumans certainly didn't, being nuHumans who weren't around before the T-bomb and haven't been seen as power players on New Attilan, so can't have even been complicit in any actions to prevent the destruction of the Terrigen clouds.

Honestly, any nuHumans who don't like the outcome of their Terrigenesis, of whom you've got to assume there are quite a few beyond those we've been shown, have a serious, if lesser, beef with Black Bolt and Maximus, and Medusa for choosing to keep the clouds around. What do you think the tort for physical transformation without one's consent would be? It's pretty equivalent to a doctor performing extensive surgery on you against your will...

Quote Originally Posted by Knives View Post
    since they were the ones who decided to give these reasons to mutants or readers to hate inhumans.
    What reasons? Recalling that we must be dealing with nuHumans who had no part in releasing the T-mist, but were themselves involuntarily transformed by it, what reason is there for mutants or readers to hate them?

Quote Originally Posted by Heroine Addict View Post
    Nuhumans, Terrigen Mists, & Mutant eXtinction, were all mentioned in the same breath, where Decimation wasn't alluded to at all. Shouldn't have to be eXplicitly stated, goes without sayin', and should be understood. If they didn't know about M-PoX, how would they know about Decimation?
    Unless they were part of the 198, weren't all the new mutants introduced in this story only mutants at all since the end of AvX, so at most a couple of years Marvel time?

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    The Mutants' hatred of Inhumans was treated as if they had no legitimate grievances, the conflict was boiled down to a rivalry out of fear because they're different and mutants were outnumbered.
    Well, I'm still waiting for the legitimate grievance against nuHumans specifically. They can't be blamed for the event that created them in the first place, even if you believe in collective guilt and punishment for the rogue and secret actions of a single ruler and his brother, which I for one don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Slicknickshady View Post
    The Inhumans caused all this. And Guggenheim is a way better writer then this lady!
    These Inhumans who weren't Inhumans until after the T-bomb, caused the T-bomb and all the ensuing problems? How did they do that? One of them get time travel powers and whisper in Black Bolt's ear?

Quote Originally Posted by akiresu_ View Post
    I think what's interesting is if you read this in-text, it's a condemnation of reactionary thinking. Like imagine this isn't a mutant, but a transphobic feminist, or perhaps a racial supremacist in an otherwise radical community. Exchange mutant with woman and I'm sure I've seen this same vitriol targeted at trans people over twitter.

Yet, with the meta text and our knowledge of mutancy at large (and particularly the Inhumans/Mutant war), this is a sympathetic character. We know that "mutantkind" has an entirely different context, one where mutants have been gassed and sterilised because of the Inhuman's racial superiority (prioritising new inhumans, disregarding mutant deaths, is a pretty clear cut display of superiority imo). We disagree with the method, but I think a lot of readers will be sympathising here more than the text wants them to. Because instead of having a marginalised person being gate-kept out of a community, as the writer wants us to read the book, the one-for-one metaphor shows us a member of a privileged class (Inhumans) who wants to co-opt and exploit the space of a marginalised group (Mutants).
    The space was explicitly open to all, by virtue of it being a gig in support of solidarity between both groups.... and the premise that nuHumans, even those who can 'pass', are a privileged rather than marginalized group themselves (except perhaps when resident at New Attilan), is not supported by their history.

Quote Originally Posted by Knives View Post
    Truthfully the biggest fault is BB and the royal family but this only applies to those who can see through the cycle of hatred or their resentments. For example if you lose a child in a bomb attack of a terrorist or if an American missile kill a terrorist group and 2 civilians in the process the most natural reaction of people is to hate the other side for the death of people loved by them.There are cases of wars between groups that last for years like Palestinians and Jews where the cycle of hatred continues almost indefinitely.

In the case of mutants the terrigenous mist is a recent tragedy that happened a few months ago that kind of pain and the hatred this causes does not easily disappear and forgiving is one of the most difficult things to do.

The issue deserves congratulations for raising some interesting points but I can not help sympathizing with the reaction of the Mutants against the Inhumans actually considering everything that happened is a very normal reaction even if wrong.
    There is nothing to forgive nuHumans for in the first place, so it is not an issue of forgiving them. It is an issue of not attacking innocents in the first place.

You do not get to take your time forgiving someone who has not wronged you in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    Assuming this is in response to my comment: That's not a lumping in or assigning of responsibility to NuHumans, but the literal circumstances of the mass Terrigenesis. The Royals were the ones who made the choice to swell their ranks at the cost of mutant lives, but that's still how the NuHumans came around.
    Yes, their existence is an effect of Black Bolt's actions. They still had nothing to do with causing them, and are therefore blameless.

Look no one is blaming all Nuhumans for Black Bolt's actions. No one is actually saying that the nameless mutant guy who was attacking them was right to do so, I think we can all agree with the basic message of "attacking individuals out of prejudice against a whole group of people is wrong".
    Most people are complaining that Marvel is whitewashing the history of this conflict, framing in such a way that Inhumans are the REAL victims and that Mutants/their fans are aggressive and irrational bullies who are basically TERFs for disliking them and refusing to accept them/support them as a franchise.
    It feels pretty insulting.

And they put language used by activists in the mouth of the bigot and Dazzler literally ignored it all as if mutants don't have a legitimate reason for wanting a safe space.
    Dazzler is supposedly preaching unity and yet she solves the incident with threatening and overwhelming force because this guy didn't "deserve solidarity"

I would love if Marvel stopped trying to shove the Inhumans down our throats. Keep the Inhumans on their books and let our X-Books free of them. The damage was done already on IvX and I'm pretty sure most X-Fans are done with the Inhumans and Marvel constant attempts to propel them at the expense of Mutants.
    "I wish I could live life five times over!
    Then I’d be born in five different places,
    and I’d stuff myself with different food from around the world.
    I’d live five different lives with five different occupations...
    and then, for those five times...
    I’d fall in love with the same person...
    "

- Orihime Inoue