Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast
    BANNED

BlackNerdProblems.com, ‘Dazzler: X-Song’ Brings A Fave Back To The Stage
    ... Lightbringr’s shows are explicitly safe spaces for mutants and Inhumans alike. This kind of solidarity rubs some the wrong way after all the trouble muties and Inhumans have been through in the last few years. The comic tells the story of two Inhuman teen fans of Lightbringr who are being harassed by a gang of thugs calling themselves Mutant Action. Alison can’t help standing up for the Inhumans, leading her back to her hero past and a reconciliation with the X-Men — repped here by Colossus.

Magdalene Visaggio’s writing is direct and approachable, whether you know Dazzler’s backstory or not. It is easy to draw comparisons here between this plot and gay dance clubs as safe places for “outsiders” to dance while also being places where cis gay people exclude or harrass trans people. But maybe that’s my Pride month mind talking. Overall, this comic is about the music and how it brings people together.

Braga (known for her work on DC’s Bombshells) and Rosenberg (who’s candy paint has graced all kinds of Marvel comics) bring a bright, modern style to the comic, with in places reminded me of The Wicked and Divine while remaining very Marvel in character.

The Dazzler one-shot is a ramp for Alison to return to the X-Men team. If you’re a Dazzler fan, like me, then you’ll want this comic. It is also good for fans looking to be reminded of Alison’s life and work before seeing her in the Astonishing X-Men book in August.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    ... IvX was an unsatisfying, occasionally insulting mess of a story...
    No doubt, and I didn't even have to read it, to figure that out. Stopped right after ish #1. Didn't partake in the main titles much either, that led up to it. Pretty much avoided the X-books, post SW, 'til ResurrXion. Bendis' stuff lost me too, not that long after it started. Before NOW, I hadn't been reading since '04/'05, other than the rare, character centric here & there.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    I wouldn't go that far. Honestly, I think it's poor timing more than bad taste (though some of the elements, like making all of the gatekeeping mutant radicals monstrous figures and the two NuHuman targets conventionally pretty minorities, would be pretty tone deaf regardless). If IvX had been handled better - no Cyke-Hitler for absolutely no damn reason, no Soule saying the Inhumans won an off-screen PR war while at the same time readers are supposed to believe that NuHumans were ignorant of the Terrigen's effects on mutants, no character assassination of Frost, less apathy on the part of the Royals, and actual equal stakes for both sides - I think this would be largely taken as just one more too on-the-nose take on the mutant metaphor. But all of the above did happen, and so this story just adds to the impression of the X-Men being given the shaft and mutants' niche in the MU being broken down to prop up Marvel's new take on the Inhumans. So it's likely to be remembered about as fondly as "call me Alex".

Judging from Vissagio’s Twitter, She’s pretty oblivious to how this story has problematic elements. So yeah. Tone deaf is the perfect phrase for it.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Man that page. Piotr should've known Allison left A-Force since that crew disbanded due to Civil War II and all the X-Men reunited for IvX.

Vissagio's summary of Dazzler gives me life: A disco-revival pop princess turned renegade superhero turned extradimensional revolutionary turned NGO paramilitary official turned superhero again who watched her own alternate self die

Sistah's been IN IT.

I still haven't gotten my copy yet -- 4 more hours -- but the scans I'm seeing are just SO GORGEOUS and I am loooooooooooving Ali's latest aesthetic so much.
    Last edited by Fokken; 06-07-2018 at 08:59 AM.

Colossus works best repping the X-men solo- i.e. this, and Deadpool 1 and 2.

i am a Dazzler fan, but this issue left a bad taste in my mouth. too political

The Poster FKA Firebaton ThomBoleyn's Avatar

As a Dazzler fan, I was happy to read the book and see her drawn beautifully. Also, any time she is in the spotlight I am going to buy the book.

I was not a huge fan of the issue itself, but I LOVED the scenes with her and Peter. I always liked them being friends, and he is continuity wise a huge fan of hers, which I love. So those moments really made me smile and happy. The rest? Not so much.

I do agree that the "All I want to do is sing" angle needs to be forgotten. I think Dazz had gotten to a place where she was balancing both being a super hero AND an entertainer. I think people should remember her mindset in the McCann one-shot and the stuff done during the Utopia period when she was doing both and very okay with who she was. I know the recent things to happen to her gave her a new perspective, but I am hoping that we can drop the poor little singer angle and fully embrace all that she is. Hopefully Astonishing will be good for her.
    I don't post often, but I like to chime in now and again.

You know, here’s something I still don’t get. How exactly do your run of the mill street mutants tell mutants apart from Inhumans? Both are superpowered people who can look human or have a physical change when their powers manifest and it’s not like mutants have a sixth sense that identifies other powered individuals from themselves. So it just reads kinda strange when you think about it.

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    You know, here’s something I still don’t get. How exactly do your run of the mill street mutants tell mutants apart from Inhumans? Both are superpowered people who can look human or have a physical change when their powers manifest and it’s not like mutants have a sixth sense that identifies other powered individuals from themselves. So it just reads kinda strange when you think about it.
    For real. And by sight alone? I mean unless they know these girls are Inhuman through some outing process (self, social media, etc) there is no logical way that these mutants would know. Also, I would have thought the ugly mutants were the Inhumans based on how some have come out of their cocoons.....

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

Just because this was announced not that long ago, it was written a long while back. Art may be new, but the script wasn't penned this year. This is obviously from when the X-Men and Inhumans were still at odds and there was still a "A-Force" title, or at least was just ending. Story is kind of pointless but it's a good looking book. Was this a one-shot?
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    You know, here’s something I still don’t get. How exactly do your run of the mill street mutants tell mutants apart from Inhumans? .
    NuHumans still smell like Terrigen farts.

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    For real. And by sight alone? I mean unless they know these girls are Inhuman through some outing process (self, social media, etc) there is no logical way that these mutants would know. Also, I would have thought the ugly mutants were the Inhumans based on how some have come out of their cocoons.....
    It’s even weirder when you consider that Extaordiinary X-Men has a plot point where a crowd of people attacked an Inhuman thinking her was a mutant and in the Inhumanity tie-in issue of Uncanny X-Men where the girls run into a newly manifested Inhuman on their girls night out and think he’s a mutant. I get what the writer was going for but it just fails on a logical basis of execution because it doesn’t work that way. You literally can’t tell them apart on sight.

Basically Dazzler in 2018. Her rise to the American presidency is seeming more and more plausible.

In a very weird way this feels like a really worthwhile comic. I think it's caused interesting discussions. Dazzler IMHO totally does the wrong thing. If this was going to series I think it would have been interesting to see how her deciding to make the "activists" more fringe either caused a worse outcome on the Inhuman girls or the activists themselves. They are all physically mutated so they probably did actually need a safe space.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blanchett View Post
    They are all physically mutated so they probably did actually need a safe space.
    But didn’t you hear Dazzler? They don’t deserve solidarity.

This book was so garbage...