Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Drakeon View Post
    Reverting Galactus and Surfer to status quo is stupid. Such a waste.
    I strongly agree. A massive waste.

Quote Originally Posted by Skedatz View Post
    Surfer going back to Galactus is as common as my starting better eating habits. Way too often and never sticks.

Reverting Galactus sort of hurts because it just felt... I dunno... lame. I like Galactus as a devourer and the concept of necessity. But it just felt played out. Or Galactus has been getting too much panel time recently. I dunno.
    It was lame. As is the whole event.

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw Vigilante View Post
    Agreed. The entire Ultimates arc was a hero's journey for Galactus that ended up being unfulfilled because Ewing liked Lifebringer Galactus, even though he was no longer going to write the character and should have known he'd be reverted asap. The series ending ended up being underwhelming as a result. I still want to see what Ewing was going to originally do or at least read about it.
    I'd rather Al Ewing did that ending than this. Galactus' saving the Multiverse/Omniverse/Omni-Eternity and making the sacrifice of being the Devourer once again. But this? This trash by Duggan is horrid.

Quote Originally Posted by nightw1ng View Post
    I'm disappointed this is the end of Lifebringer Galactus and in the way in which it was done. It didn't feel epic enough to justify the reversion. And even then, as Lifebringer, he generated energy rather than craved it. With his powers, he could have easily destroyed Ultron, the missiles, and his tech *without* having to consume the planet.
    I know, right? He could have dispatched Pym-Tron, the planet, and the missiles with a simple gesture. The whole thing didn't make a damn bit of sense at all. Obviously the writer and the editors/executives didn't know what the heck they were doing at all.

Quote Originally Posted by stormphoenix View Post
    THANK YOU!!!!!! So stupid I liked LifeBringer Galactus.

What makes no sense is why did 1 measly Planet mean that he automatically goes back to being the Devourer. Clearly everything that took place in Ultimates was nothing but a waste of time and MY MONEY.
    A waste of time and immense potential. So much could have been done with Galactus as the Lifebringer. Now it was squandered on a mediocre event from an equally boring writer.

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    Yeah, Ewing's letter at the end of Ultimates just made me think he originally planned for that ending we both thought was coming, but changed his mind and it felt unfulfilling as a result
    Yeah, if Ultimates ended that way, it would have been more meaningful and made sense. This however? It's pure idiocy.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymousmc View Post
    This, the stakes didn't feel high enough for him to revert in my opinion. I know Duggan is trying to hit some of the beats of Infinity Gauntlet and Annihilation/Annihilation Conquest but the build up does not feel the same.

I don't mind Galactus reverting but the circumstances didn't seem as dire (as oppose to the Ultimates 2 story) and the it felt rushed and hollow.
    Agreed. And Duggan is failing in all aspects in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    I would say nothing that iconic ever loses its value.

I will agree it feels like an abrupt development but yet I'm not unhappy about it.

As soon as they turned Galactus into the Life-Bringer, I knew it wasn't going to last. I know some people found it interesting but I thought it was a mistake to take such an iconic character and completely turn him on his head. That the story Ewing told was good in and of itself was fine but there's no way Galactus was going to stay in that form. And, in my opinion, he shouldn't have. I don't want Galactus as some good guy, spreading life throughout the universe, I want him to be the world devourer. There's no one else who can fill that slot. The MU needs Galactus to be Galactus and while I think they could've brought him back in a less clumsy fashion, I think the move overall was a correct one.
    It's not that he reverted to the Devourer that's the problem. The way it was done was horrible and it was a total waste of the immense potential of the Lifebringer. Galactus is beyond good or evil, whether he be Lifebringer or Devourer. He's a cosmic force of nature that operates on a Universal/Multiversal scale. Hell, why not turn Galactus who is both a destroyer and a creator, a Devourer and a Lifebringer? It could have been done, but obviously lack of creativity and a decent writer prevented this.

I'd rather Galactus save the Omniverse and sacrifice his Lifebringer form than what we got. The stakes weren't even remotely high enough for this to happen and it was horribly done. A big thumbs down for this event and the writer & editors/executives that have worked on it.
    Last edited by GreenScar1990; 06-09-2018 at 03:48 AM.

what's this mini-series about? who are the villains?

Marvel comics have turned into a sad joke. Thank the gods the MCU is doing so well, because they’re self destructing on the print side.

I won't even mention how disappointed I am about the stupid regression.
    The issue's one redeeming quality was the use of Phyla and Moondragon, but it was basically a cameo and they were alternate versions.
    I'm also mad about yet another story that leaves Pymtrom roughly at the same place where he started.

Iioo

I don't remember much of details of Ultimates' first arc, is there anything preventing Galactus to be turned into Lifebringer again the same way it was done then?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GreenScar1990 View Post
    It's not that he reverted to the Devourer that's the problem. The way it was done was horrible and it was a total waste of the immense potential of the Lifebringer. Galactus is beyond good or evil, whether he be Lifebringer or Devourer. He's a cosmic force of nature that operates on a Universal/Multiversal scale. Hell, why not turn Galactus who is both a destroyer and a creator, a Devourer and a Lifebringer? It could have been done, but obviously lack of creativity and a decent writer prevented this.

I'd rather Galactus save the Omniverse and sacrifice his Lifebringer form than what we got. The stakes weren't even remotely high enough for this to happen and it was horribly done. A big thumbs down for this event and the writer & editors/executives that have worked on it.
    I don't think there was any "immense potential of the Lifebringer." Lifebringer Galactus was the New Coke of Galactuses. It wasn't going to last.

And you could say, "But they should've changed him back in a different way" and so on and so forth but, well, they didn't. And I think no matter how they did it, some people would complain. While I think they could've spent more time showing Galactus weigh his decision, it seems like Galactus and Surfer both felt the stakes were high enough. A Ultron-possessed planet that's planning to spread its reach to the rest of the universe seems dire enough. It certainly calls for a massive purging, an act of devastation so complete that nothing is left. Half-measures would not do and even with the apocalyptic steps they did take, Ultron still managed to squeak his way out. So I think consuming the planet was the only way to guarantee success. If what they did was barely enough to get the job done, anything less would have been a waste of time.

And the last few pages of this issue were epic and very well depicted by Mike Hawthorne. The sight of Galactus shrouded in mist, rising to meet Warlock and Surfer from the emptiness where the planet once hung in space, and the grim expression on Galactus' face as the mist disperses is all beautifully rendered.

I hope that we'll get to see more of Galactus and Surfer's renewed relationship at work in future issues and how both beings regard their reunion but I'm happy to see them paired up again and Galactus back to his classic form.
    Last edited by Prof. Warren; 06-10-2018 at 05:21 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I won't even mention how disappointed I am about the stupid regression.
    The issue's one redeeming quality was the use of Phyla and Moondragon, but it was basically a cameo and they were alternate versions.
    I'm also mad about yet another story that leaves Pymtrom roughly at the same place where he started.
    Pym-Tron has more to do as a villain before Hank gets free. And as we've seen Hank alive within the Soul Stone, I'm sure his redemption is in the works.

Reverting Galactus and Surfer to status quo is stupid. Such a waste.
    I agree.

Edit-sorry for the grouchy post. Guess I woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning! Deleted the grouchy parts.
    Last edited by Gaastra; 06-10-2018 at 07:19 AM.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Except for Drax and his sax, this series is shaping up to be extremely horrible and is pretty much showing how worthless the upcoming Infinity garbage is going to be.

Reverting Galactus ruins his extremely incomplete hero's journey.

Writers and editors should probably lose their jobs for doing the sort of reverting that was done here. Surfer going back to being a Herald was ridiculous more than 20 years ago, and is even more ridiculous now. Stop. Doing. It.

Not that is matters all that much, since Slott ruined Surfer anyway.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    Not that is matters all that much, since Slott ruined Surfer anyway.
    If anyone thinks that Slott and Allred's critically lauded, fan favorite, Eisner-winning Surfer run "ruined" the character, they shouldn't complain about anything any writer does with that character or any other.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

If anyone thinks that Slott and Allred's critically lauded, fan favorite, Eisner-winning Surfer run "ruined" the character, they shouldn't complain about anything any writer does with that character or any other.
    His Doctor Who fan fiction made a great story when all was said and done, and it far from ruined the character, but I can how some dislike, despite all the critically acclaimed stuff
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Fantastic Member Alpha to Omega's Avatar

If anyone thinks that James Cameron's critically lauded, record-breaking, Oscar-nominated film Avatar was "awful", they shouldn't be allowed to complain about any film by any director. That's how foolish your argument is. Using your argument your opinion of writers should be automatically disregarded because you called "fan favorite, critically lauded, Eisner-nominated" writer Tom King's run on Batman "a fucking shitstain" once.
    Last edited by Alpha to Omega; 06-10-2018 at 05:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigTheCylon View Post
    Acknowledging Phylla and Moondragon (AU or otherwise) but reverting Galactus to status quo in deathly disappointing fashion sounds like a monkey's paw wish from me.

Honestly, whatever interest or stakes this series could've held were obliterated the moment it was confirmed to just be set-up for some other Infinity nonsense.
    It's not just Galactus getting a disappointing ending (or at the very least, reverting to type in the wrong story under the wrong circumstances for the wrong and lesser stakes). I can't imagine that when they merged Pym and Ultron to create Pymtron, that this was the ending they imagined for him, being kind of an incidental side story in a scavenger hunt for the Stones.

But yeah, having Galactus go back to world eater for any lesser reason than to save/bring balance to the universe or even multiverse - and not just from an Ultron infestation - just seems... underwhelming.

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    Different universe Moonstone may be more powerful
    Her smile was pretty evil. I wouldn't be too surprised to find out that was a version completely overtaken by the Dragon of the Moon, if ever revisited.

That reminds me, I remember Phyla-Vell dying and serving Oblivion for a while and all that, but what is the current status of the 616 Moondragon?

Quote Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
    Her smile was pretty evil. I wouldn't be too surprised to find out that was a version completely overtaken by the Dragon of the Moon, if ever revisited.

That reminds me, I remember Phyla-Vell dying and serving Oblivion for a while and all that, but what is the current status of the 616 Moondragon?
    I think Bendis established her as being part of a separate Guardians team along with the rest of the DnA team that had been unaccounted for, but I don't think we've ever seen them since then.