Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha to Omega View Post
    If anyone thinks that James Cameron's critically lauded, record-breaking, Oscar-nominated film Avatar was "awful", they shouldn't be allowed to complain about any film by any director. That's how foolish your argument is. Using your argument your opinion of writers should be automatically disregarded because you called "fan favorite, critically lauded, Eisner-nominated" writer Tom King's run on Batman "a fucking shitstain" once.
    Tom King's run on Batman is a shitstain. What happened to the guy who wrote The Vision?

But I'm glad you're paying attention to my opinions. If you adopt them as your own, you'll be sure to look smarter!

Fantastic Member Alpha to Omega's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Tom King's run on Batman is a shitstain. What happened to the guy who wrote The Vision?

But I'm glad you're paying attention to my opinions. If you adopt them as your own, you'll be sure to look smarter!
    Nah, I'd just end up looking as hypocritical as you do.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha to Omega View Post
    Nah, I'd just end up looking as hypocritical as you do.
    Well then, let me explain the crucial difference between MyriVerse's claim and my own:

When someone else inevitably takes over Batman one day, my response to that won't be "Not that it matters since Tom King already ruined Batman anyway!"

As much as I dislike King's Batman run - and, by the way, I think I can make a much, much better case against it than anyone can make towards Slott's Surfer run - I in no way think that King's run is "ruining" the character. Writing it terribly, yes. But it's nothing that another writer can't move on from with no permanent damage done. No character can be destroyed or "ruined" by any one writer.

If you think they can and you're being that over the top in your claims, as MyriVerse was, then you're just peddling pure hyperbole.
    Last edited by Prof. Warren; 06-11-2018 at 03:58 AM.

Well then, let me explain the crucial difference between MyriVerse's claim and my own:

When someone else inevitably takes over Batman one day, my response to that won't be "Not that it matters since Tom King already ruined Batman anyway!"

As much as I dislike King's Batman run - and, by the way, I think I can make a much, much better case against it than anyone can make towards Slott's Surfer run - I in no way think that King's run is "ruining" the character. Writing it terribly, yes. But it's nothing that another writer can't move on from with no permanent damage done. No character can be destroyed or "ruined" by any one writer.

If you think they can and you're being that over the top in your claims, as MyriVerse was, then you're just peddling pure hyperbole.
    But that's not how it works!

Allow me to reuse something I posted once before:

"Man. I'd love to read this comic about Silver Surfer, Terrax the Tamer, Thanos, Quasar, Nova, and this brand new character we've never seen before racing through the cosmos to prevent the resurrection of the Skrull war machine. But.... eight years ago Slott wrote Silver Surfer. Now I can't read any title with Silver Surfer in it because they all suck now from that one time."

I mean, what you're saying? It's basically, "Look. I know I had a bad time with this one character, but that was some time ago under a completely different creative team. I enjoy the character so I'll give this new creative team a shot because they can't be worse than the old one. Who knows? It's not like the old creative team destroyed the character, just turned me off from reading that particular run." It's like you're trying to peddle the very concept of reason and level-headedness or something. Get out of here with that!
    Last edited by Skedatz; 06-11-2018 at 06:52 AM.

Incredible Member

This book sounds pretty interesting, but I didn't pick it up because I wasn't sure where to start. It continued from GOTG, right? Then there were various mini series called countdown or something, and now there are other mini's, plus the main series. Can anyone give me a rundown on where to start, and which mini series are relevant etc.?

Incredible Member

Bumped because I'd really like an answer to my question lol!

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

No hyperbole here. The reason Surfer's being treated like crap now is because Slott was for the past few years. It'll probably be a long while before we get a really good Surfer again... if ever.

But I hope.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    This book sounds pretty interesting, but I didn't pick it up because I wasn't sure where to start. It continued from GOTG, right? Then there were various mini series called countdown or something, and now there are other mini's, plus the main series. Can anyone give me a rundown on where to start, and which mini series are relevant etc.?
    No, it continued from the Duggan Guardians, with a special Warlock one shot and Coutdown: Prime between the end of GotG and Infinity Countdown #1. Then Marvel have produced a helpful reading list in the back of #1.

So, if you want to read, just catch up with Duggan GotG, the two one shots and then this series
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    No, it continued from the Duggan Guardians, with a special Warlock one shot and Coutdown: Prime between the end of GotG and Infinity Countdown #1. Then Marvel have produced a helpful reading list in the back of #1.

So, if you want to read, just catch up with Duggan GotG, the two one shots and then this series
    Ok. Thanks! I'll hunt those down.

I found it equal part hilarious and asinine how quickly Marvel rolled back on the whole Lifebringer thing.
    Decades of the Devourer and we get maybe a dozen of appearances of the Lifebringer.
    Yawn!
    #EmmaWasRight

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    No hyperbole here. The reason Surfer's being treated like crap now is because Slott was for the past few years. It'll probably be a long while before we get a really good Surfer again... if ever.

But I hope.
    Obviously you're entitled to your opinion on Slott's Surfer run but, objectively, you should realize that run was very highly regarded and much loved by a lot of people. Personally, I wasn't quite as high on it as some but I respect the passion and the craft that went into it.

Fans of that run would say it's unlikely we'll ever see another Surfer run as good as Slott's ever again. If it wasn't for you, fine. But for many others it was a pinnacle of the Surfer's publishing history and hasn't and won't led to any mistreatment of the character.