Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of Hell’s Brigade View Post
    However, Azula does have metal on her (hairpiece at least). Kuvira might be quick enough to use that to jerk Azula off balance and start getting hits in.
    Does metalbending even work on gold at all?

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Does metalbending even work on gold at all?
    Platinum was the only one they said they couldn’t metal bend due to its purity.
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of Hell’s Brigade View Post
    Platinum was the only one they said they couldn’t metal bend due to its purity.
    Platinum and gold are very similar. I don't think anybody ever bent a metal or alloy that wasn't mostly iron. Except of course "star metal", which may or may not be fancy iron.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    which was smart on her part. handling team avatar with her brother would've been doable. handling the dragon of west? uh uh. she knew what she was doing in the end of that one.
    And Iroh really should've anticipated that move. He knows Azula. He knows his brother, who trained her. He knows Ozai and Azula are snakes in the grass. The mere fact that Azula managed to pull off an attack that should've been obvious to such a seasoned fighter speaks pretty highly of both her speed and her skill.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rightoya View Post
    I don't think i was actually personal, he/she made several claims that are objectively wrong and i pointed them out and simply disagreed with some others.
    I've said nothing untrue nor have I misrepresented any of Azula's feats.

Aang and the others' abilities were compromised from exhaustion. Azula did well against them through a combination of smart tactics (in running them to exhaustion in the first place), cunning, agility, using her surroundings, and knowing when it was time to make her exit. Those facts do not undermine her skills, but they are, largely, factors that she won't be able to rely on in a 1v1 fight against Kuvira.

Likewise I did not misstate or misrepresent anything in Day of Black Sun. Just watch any of Toph's other battles in the series and it should be obvious she was not using her abilities to their fullest.

Even the handwave that Toph was being distracted by Azula's Dai Li agents makes no sense. Her and Aang both tore through the entire Dai Li outfit while barely breaking a sweat when they invaded Kuei's palace back during the Ba Sing Se arc. Why would a handful of them suddenly cause so much distraction now?

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    And Iroh really should've anticipated that move. He knows Azula. He knows his brother, who trained her. He knows Ozai and Azula are snakes in the grass. The mere fact that Azula managed to pull off an attack that should've been obvious to such a seasoned fighter speaks pretty highly of both her speed and her skill.
    i think it was more to do with the fact that he seemed to be assessing the situation. the way he looked at looked at team avatar seems to hint that he was trying gauge their overall state since he knew toph was exhausted and frazzled. he knew how dangerous she was and wanted to take second or two to see how well they would hold up in a fight with her. which left him open for said cheap shot.

at least, that's what i think.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    i think it was more to do with the fact that he seemed to be assessing the situation. the way he looked at looked at team avatar seems to hint that he was trying gauge their overall state since he knew toph was exhausted and frazzled...
    I think it's just that he actually knew Toph from earlier, but he didn't know she was part of team Avatar and finding that out distracted him for a moment.

Anyone mentioned that Iroh was also out of shape during the Black Sun encounter?

He didn't get back into shape until after he was imprisoned from. what I remember.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Anyone mentioned that Iroh was also out of shape during the Black Sun encounter?

He didn't get back into shape until after he was imprisoned from. what I remember.
    You memory fails you (ETA: or possibly not, you've worded it really ambiguously). He got into full Schwarzenegger mode during his captivity, in order to take advantage of the Black Sun to escape. Which he did entirely off screen, dammit.

Last edited by Carabas; 06-08-2018 at 03:50 PM.

You memory fails you. He got into full Schwarzenegger mode during his captivity, in order to take advantage of the Black Sun to escape. Which he did entirely off screen, dammit.

and keep in mind, he had no bending like everyone else in the fire nation. so he pretty much beast mode'd his way out with just pure martial skill and power.

I think it's just that he actually knew Toph from earlier, but he didn't know she was part of team Avatar and finding that out distracted him for a moment.
    that's possible too. i still wanna think a guy with his skills and talents would still try to assess what he had to work with, especially when dealing with azula.

Putting everything aside for a moment, Azula wins most of the time. The Fire Nation kids have insane physical stats, especially when compared to Korra characters. Azula and Zuko in particular are stupid fast* and they generally throw around more fire power than Kuvira can comfortably deal with.

*Seriously, Zuko starts by cutting arrows in half. Then by the end of the series, Zuko and Azula are throwing stupidly huge blasts of flame at each other from thirty yards away or so and reacting to those just fine.
    Last edited by Hazard; 06-08-2018 at 04:14 PM.
    Hazard's Playhouse - Episodic anime reviews and other things. Current Post: Houshin Engi: What was Skipped
    My Fanfiction.Net Profile

You memory fails you (ETA: or possibly not, you've worded it really ambiguously). He got into full Schwarzenegger mode during his captivity, in order to take advantage of the Black Sun to escape. Which he did entirely off screen, dammit.

Yup. For some reason I thought he was imprisoned afterwards. So yeah, assuming that sequence isn't SMvsFL or whatever else, Azula's fight to lose.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Rightoya View Post
    And 4 constant streams of all elements at once are everything but wimpy, which also explains the huge explosion.

Continuation in the next posts.
    She's blasting away a little stream of air, a little stream of water, a little stream of dirt, and a little jet of fire. And a boomerang, which, due to its nature could be deflected by an unexpected stiff breeze.

If the same characters attacked her with a huge gush of air, and full-on torrent of water, a huge rock, and a giant fireball (and, I dunno, Sokka threw his space sword at her), do you think she'd still be able to easily repel all that?

Platinum and gold are very similar. I don't think anybody ever bent a metal or alloy that wasn't mostly iron. Except of course "star metal", which may or may not be fancy iron.
    Metalbending was originally send to work by manipulating earthen impurities in the metal (best illustrated when Toph discovers how to do it, sensing flecks of bendable earth throughout the metal box she was in). Reflecting this, her metalbending in that series had a stiffer style to it compared to regular earth.

Come the Korra series, everyone is doing it a lot more fluidly, so they obviously got better at it (and possibly the metal everyone is using is easier to bend).
    Later, Hiroshi's talking about the mecha tank and says it's platinum, and that its purity was why it couldn't be bent. And from then on, platinum always got brought up for the go-to material to make stuff metalbending-proof.

I'd assume other pure elements wouldn't be bendable either. But then, golden accessories aren't necessarily going to be pure, either.
    ~ Previously known as Sound Silence

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
    Putting everything aside for a moment, Azula wins most of the time. The Fire Nation kids have insane physical stats, especially when compared to Korra characters. Azula and Zuko in particular are stupid fast* and they generally throw around more fire power than Kuvira can comfortably deal with.

*Seriously, Zuko starts by cutting arrows in half. Then by the end of the series, Zuko and Azula are throwing stupidly huge blasts of flame at each other from thirty yards away or so and reacting to those just fine.
    It's the difference of growing during the 100 year war and in peace time, I guess.

Mind you, Neither Zuko nor Azula are throwing those stupid huge blasts, nor themselves shielding against them so casually, without being boosted by Sozen's Comet though.