Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Default Does Superman have access to the multiverse?

So this is interesting:

https://www.cbr.com/batman-prelude-t...ing-vs-hush-1/

I didn't know about this. Was this shown in the books before?
    Assassinate Putin!

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

It's new in this context, but the Superman Squad traveled using the Lightning Door in All-Star, and Jon and Kathy were fooling around with casual multiversal travel in Tomasi's Superman, so this isn't unreasonable.
    Buh-bye

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    It's new in this context, but the Superman Squad traveled using the Lightning Door in All-Star, and Jon and Kathy were fooling around with casual multiversal travel in Tomasi's Superman, so this isn't unreasonable.
    I’m not sure how I feel about that. On one hand a version of Supes is in charge of Justice Incarnate, so if Earth 0 Supes needs Multiverse traversal tech he can probably just borrow it. But on the other hand, Flash has always been more tied to Multiverse adventures, and I don’t want to take that from him.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

I think Pre-COIE, Silver/Bronze Age Superman could.

In those days, it seemed like the best way to transit to other universes if you weren't a Flash was to go around the Rock of Eternity a few times.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Retired

I can't tell what's in that link in regard to the multiverse, I just see a bunch of comic book pages, but yes Superman could get to other Earths in the Multiverse pre-Crisis. To be specific, page 17 of JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA No. 91 (August '71), Dillin & Giella picture Jay Garrick, the Flash of Earth-Two, showing Earth-One Superman how to vibrate his molecules to get to Earth-Two from Earth-One. It's a panel that has lived in my memory for the last 47 years, as shocking as that may seem. And no one could be more shocked than me.

I really love the idea, in fact. Superman just having access to Lightning Doors that can drop him into other universes or pocket universes? That's exactly the kind of zany science fiction concept I love for Superman to have at his disposal. I hope the Lightning Doors stick around and get used more frequently.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    I really love the idea, in fact. Superman just having access to Lightning Doors that can drop him into other universes or pocket universes? That's exactly the kind of zany science fiction concept I love for Superman to have at his disposal. I hope the Lightning Doors stick around and get used more frequently.
    Agreed. It's a wonderful toy to have access to.

Interdimensional travel is totally a Flash thing, but it's not his exclusively and Clark's been doing the multiverse thing forever.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Retired

In fact, when Barry travelled to an alternate Earth for the first time, in THE FLASH 123 (September '61), Superman had already been to be a parallel Earth two months before, in SUPERMAN 146 (July '61).

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    In fact, when Barry travelled to an alternate Earth for the first time, in THE FLASH 123 (September '61), Superman had already been to be a parallel Earth two months before, in SUPERMAN 146 (July '61).
    Really? I did not know that.

Jim, you are just full of awesome Superman trivia. Every time I start to think I know a lot about Superman, you drop some nugget of knowledge that shows me I still got a long way to go.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Incredible Member magha_regulus's Avatar

Yeah this is the type of thing Superman would totally have and use. I'm with everyone else who wants to see this device used in stories more often. The Fortress of Solitude will always be a more compelling headquarters than the Batcave because of things like this.