Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 46 to 57 of 57
  1. #46
    "Emma is STILL right! Vegeta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,387

    Default

    Mysterio is a tricky one, I'd put him on the cusp of A-list. It's an iconic design, but that's because it's rather silly looking. He can be a considerable threat,(he was the inaugural villain when Ben Reilly first took over as Spider-Man) but his most dastardly deeds were in other character's titles (Daredevil, and tricking Old Man Logan into murdering the X-Men). I think if he appears in the next movie (and is well received) I'd move him into A-lister tier.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

  2. #47
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    314

    Default

    A-list: Green Goblin, Doc Ock, Venom, Kingpin, Hobgoblin(Kingsley) and Lizard
    B-list: Electro, Sandman, Mysterio, Vulture, Kraven, Scorpion, Chameleon, Jackal and Morlun
    C-list: Hobgoblin(Macendale), Shocker, Rhino, Carnage, Tombstone, Hammerhead, Hydro-Man, Beetle, Tinkerer and Morbius
    D-list: Anyone that's not already listed

  3. #48
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    32,976

    Default

    Personally, I'd put pretty much all the Lee/Dikto villains in the "A-List" category by virtue of the fact that they're so recognizably and constant as Spider-Man villains, even if you can probably count on one hand the number of major or memorable stories they have aside from Gobby and Doc Ock.

  4. #49
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    543

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Personally, I'd put pretty much all the Lee/Dikto villains in the "A-List" category by virtue of the fact that they're so recognizably and constant as Spider-Man villains, even if you can probably count on one hand the number of major or memorable stories they have aside from Gobby and Doc Ock.
    Even the Cat?

  5. #50
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    32,976

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ngroove View Post
    Even the Cat?
    Well, I said "pretty much," not all .

  6. #51
    Mighty Member Uncanny Mutie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    1,058

    Default

    Why are so many people listing Black Cat as an A-lister?!? Not only has she never crossed my mind personally as an A-list Spidey villain, but also, hasn't she been a Spider-Man ALLY more so than a straight up villain for most of her existence?

    If anything, I would give her firm B-list status. And that's being sort of generous, since, as I said, she's usually shown in most forms of media that she appears in as an ally rather than a villain.
    Last edited by Uncanny Mutie; 08-21-2018 at 10:40 AM.

  7. #52

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    Why are so many people listing Black Cat as an A-lister?!? Not only has she never crossed my mind personally as an A-list Spidey villain, but also, hasn't she been a Spider-Man ALLY more so than a straight up villain for most of her existence?

    If anything, I would give her firm B-list status. And that's being sort of generous, since, as I said, she's usually shown in most forms of media that she appears in as an ally rather than a villain.
    She is a very recognizable antagonist, even if their relationship is often friendly.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

  8. #53
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    32,976

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    She is a very recognizable antagonist, even if their relationship is often friendly.
    She's a recognizable Spider-Man character, but more recognizable as a love interest then as a villain.

    Her villain stints have either been short (her initial stories) or not well-handled (Queenpin).

  9. #54
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    543

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    She's a recognizable Spider-Man character, but more recognizable as a love interest then as a villain.
    Her villain stints have either been short (her initial stories) or not well-handled (Queenpin).
    There is also other media adaptations over the years, such as portraying Black Cat as a villain in Spectacular Spider-Man or Marvel's Spider-Man, as far back as Spider-Man (1981), or Ultimate Spider-Man and Marvel Adventures: Spider-Man comics.

    Even every once-in-a-while in the mainstream comics, after she "straightened" out, 1983, through most of my Spidey reading pre-OMD, she still was on-page seen stealing from private collectors, once-in-a-while.

  10. #55
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    32,976

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ngroove View Post
    There is also other media adaptations over the years, such as portraying Black Cat as a villain in Spectacular Spider-Man or Marvel's Spider-Man, as far back as Spider-Man (1981), or Ultimate Spider-Man and Marvel Adventures: Spider-Man comics.
    I mean, even then she wasn't really a villain in Spec. She and Spidey tussled for maybe a few minutes, but in her episodes they mostly worked together.

    I blame her villain status in Marvel's Spider-Man on Marvel Animation's no romance policy, so there's not much we can really do with her relationship with Spidey (which is a key part of her character).

    She also wasn't in the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon.

    I know she was a villain in one issue of Marvel Adventures book, but I think there was another where she turned out to be a good guy.
    Even every once-in-a-while in the mainstream comics, after she "straightened" out, 1983, through most of my Spidey reading pre-OMD, she still was on-page seen stealing from private collectors, once-in-a-while.
    I mean, her still thieving doesn't really make her a villain in my opinion. I think she should only count as one if her thieving or actions lead her to a direct antagonism with Spider-Man.

  11. #56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ngroove View Post
    There is also other media adaptations over the years, such as portraying Black Cat as a villain in Spectacular Spider-Man or Marvel's Spider-Man, as far back as Spider-Man (1981), or Ultimate Spider-Man and Marvel Adventures: Spider-Man comics.

    Even every once-in-a-while in the mainstream comics, after she "straightened" out, 1983, through most of my Spidey reading pre-OMD, she still was on-page seen stealing from private collectors, once-in-a-while.
    Another issue is that characters often return to first appearances, which tend to be high-profile. At the time of her creation, Black Cat had probably been the most significant and popular new villain in a while.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

  12. #57
    Mighty Member Uncanny Mutie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    1,058

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    She's a recognizable Spider-Man character, but more recognizable as a love interest then as a villain.

    Her villain stints have either been short (her initial stories) or not well-handled (Queenpin).
    Exactly. I wouldn't dare call her an A list villain; when done best and the way she has been done most often, she is not really even a villain at all.
    Last edited by Uncanny Mutie; 09-07-2018 at 08:43 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •