Thread: Batwoman

All-New Member

Default Batwoman

I might be a little late to the party...However, I started reading Batwoman during her New 52 run, and I really liked her! Another dark complex character to add to the bat family.
    I gotta say though, I was pretty disappointed with her first book in the rebirth series. I've read the first two trades now and I really do love this story arc, and I admire Marguerite Bennett's writing style;
    but the explanation of her backstory left something to be desired. If I had known nothing of Batwoman before reading her in Rebirth, I'd be so confused. I THEN started reading the Batman detective comics (which I know occured before her solo title was released), however I expect a good solid origin in the first book of any character.. Is it just me??

I don't think it's just you, but I do know that quite a few people started reading her in Rebirth, whether in Detective or her solo, and weren't confused and liked it a lot.

What you seem to be missing is Batwoman: Elegy, which is Detective Comics #854 to #863. That's her definitive origin, which sets up her character and mythos, and from which all of her subsequent stories are drawn, to some extent. The island backstory shown in Rebirth is entirely new to that series, and is meant to be additive.

A minor warning, though: if you've already read the rest of her major stuff, you've already spoiled Elegy for yourself. It's still worth reading, and the surprise twist isn't the point of the story anyway, but you already know it.
    Last edited by Caivu; 06-26-2018 at 04:10 PM.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

All-New Member

That's actually really helpful, thanks! I tend to get a little lost in the sauce trying to keep track of the order of various series' and one-offs.

Elegy is, outside of some new 52 stuff, the absolute best story of Batwoman, putting all the essential points of her past and then present into a focus. Its all there.

I think her initial run in the new 52, setting up dynamics with Jacob and Bette, and the mysterious liquid ghost lady were the best part of the run.